Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did anyone want to see pictures of the factory SRT-8 entry into the TireRack/Car and Driver Lap of America race?

Well here they are! I drove my car to Indianapolis Raceway Park, met with driver Erich, watched him race, and he was cool enough to give me a photo op with his car. I have many more pictures, but I'll start you all off with a few.

He had a ton of great info as well.

First up - the racing action pictures. IRP used it's 1/4 drag strip as a straight-away in the road course. I asked - 130 mph before slowing to turn.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Im sure a few folks wanna know what color that is? Did you get to ask? Nice pics. Thanks for taking the time. I ran the cannonball in '86 w/ a '85 Maserati Biturbo. I would love to run it in an SRT-8. :D

·
Registered
528 Posts
Great stuff - did'ja dare to get on the track with your new toy?

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
His spoiler is bigger than mine. He also has a 15mm metal bar attached under the front fascia. The whole package was windtunnel tested, and the car now has net downforce at speed.

The color is NOT silver steel. It is steel blue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
J, that side by side shot is awesome!! :cool:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Great Color..

JMatt said:
His spoiler is bigger than mine. He also has a 15mm metal bar attached under the front fascia. The whole package was windtunnel tested, and the car now has net downforce at speed.
The color is NOT silver steel. It is steel blue.
Love that color..wish it had been available when I got mine..
That picture you have with your car & his..Very Nice..
Great Keepsake

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's some more side-by-side comparisons. Pay attention to the last picture and you'll see the reflection of my car in his.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Suspension is 25% stiffer than on a factory SRT-8. Contrary to earlier reports, these are not necessarily the suspension parts from the upcoming Charger SRT-8, as the final decision on suspension for that car has not apparently been made.

Check out these tires! The rims were custom made by BBS for Chrysler specifically for this car. The overall tire diameter is 2" less than stock. Thus, the car rides 1" lower than stock, and the wheel wells look notably less filled than on the factory size tires. The problem as Eric noted, is that our tires are truck size tires in terms of overall outside diameter and no one is making tires for us yet. Hence, the smaller outside diameter on this car.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Check this bit out: Remove the driver's side driving light, add some duct work, and port air straight into the airbox. The MOPAR air cleaner is technically for the 5.7, but I believe they're coming out with one for the 6.1. His was not sealed, so it's technically still a hot intake.

The other picture is simply of the rollcage.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Final two pictures. Check out the difference in the fender flares.

Some final facts about the car:

It was originally a 300C, and was modified with a 6.1 engine. The doors still have the wood bits from the 300C. The passenger seat is apparently the only manual controlled SRT-8 seat in existence - it saved 20 pounds. If you look at the strut towers in the front of an SRT-8, you'll see an additional piece of metal bracing welded in addition to what a 300C has. Expect mopar to sell the stiffer suspension parts aftermarket. The Charger suspension is a direct swap with the 300C, so we can buy the stiffer suspension when that comes out. I asked about the transmission. He said it was NOT the weak link.

SOME SPECIAL THANKS:

First: to GLHS837. With some quick private messages back-and-forth early this morning, he got word out about who I was, and got word to me about when to meet Erich.

Second: Erich Heuschele from Daimler Chrysler. Not a better person to be found. I talked to him before his run. Tried to leave him alone until after the run. He saw me taking pictures and even flashed a thumbs up at me on his cool down lap. Once he finished his post-run inspections, he set up to take any pictures, and talk about anything we wanted. I sat down in his car and he drove me out of the paddock and to my car, where I picked up my car and followed him into the grassy field for the photo-op you see posted here.

He was very open and forthright. He did mention a couple of things, and I gave my word to not post them on the net. He is truly a car enthusiast's engineer, and it's great to meet people like him. I could not have been made to feel more welcome. I was almost embarrassed to take so much of his time.

He does troll here at this forum. I didn't ask his user name, and I'm not sure he even has one, but he does read the stuff here occasionally.

On behalf of all SRT-8 enthusiast's everywhere, THANK YOU ERICH!!!!
Good luck on the rest of your "Lap of America!"

·
Registered
99 Posts
JMatt - Do you know what the Lap of America participants are doing at each venue? Sorry if it's too obvious a question, but I couldn't tell what is scheduled at each location. I didn't notice until about an hour ago, but they're at a track a few minutes from my house tomorrow night. I'm curious if they're going to drag (1/8 mile track), oval race, or...?? Thanks.

·
Registered
563 Posts
http://www.onelapofamerica.com/

Itchy,

Go there, third link in the bar up top, "2005 Schedule"

Looks like your track (Beverun, right?) is two time trials, road course style. Matt can say better whats its like to watch, but some hardcore machinery usually shows. Nitrous fed Vipers, blown Vettes, you name it.
From what Ebbtide told me, just show at the track maybe 30 minutes before scheduled start time (0800, first showtime) and see whats up.

It's not really a spectator event, it's by and for the Lappers, so spectators usually pay little to nothing to hang out and watch.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Whoops, I blew it, Lacaster? Dirt oval? That must be it. Should be a blast we saw some really cool photos last year. Any idea what kinda rooster tail a Viper makes?:)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks glhs. I looked right at that page earlier but didn't see the race type. duh!
You were right the 2nd time - it's Lancaster, NY. The track is asphalt, but not very big. Should be fun to watch, as long as the weather holds off.
Do you still own a glhs?? In their day, they were a blast.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yep, she's needing resto, but I still love her.:) She's had a very hard life with some very abusive owners, but I'll change all that.

Heck, one owner had hacked up the engine harness to add an external voltage regulator, evidently the computer control of voltage regulation was too damn high tech. And since that particular harness is specific to the 1000 GLHS's made, I had to rewire a 91 New Yorkers harness.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts