Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Is it me or does that throttle body look massive? Maybe a 75mm+?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
And GOODYEAR tires.
So much for the "sweet heart" deal with Continental, eh?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Ride Quality

E55 KEV said:
COMPLAINT - Still a lot of wheel well gap! :mad:
Is wheel travel such a bad thing? :confused:
Is not the alternative a stiff, buckboard ride not commensurate with "luxury" car-like ride features?

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Redman said:
Is not the alternative a stiff, buckboard ride not commensurate with "luxury" car-like ride features?
It has nothing to do with "wheel travel", but the original design. You can have the same length of suspension and parts and not have the unsightly gap. Actually the car is not high off the ground (comparing the chassis ground clearance) it just has the unnesseary gap. If you can design it in, you can design it out, just like BMW does. All BMW cars have minimum wheel gap because they put a little more sheet metal around the fender lips which merely give the appearance of lowered. All they had to do was add a little more sheet metal around the fender wheel wells.

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
E55 KEV said:
It has nothing to do with "wheel travel", but the original design. You can have the same length of suspension and parts and not have the unsightly gap. Actually the car is not high off the ground (comparing the chassis ground clearance) it just has the unnesseary gap. If you can design it in, you can design it out, just like BMW does. All BMW cars have minimum wheel gap because they put a little more sheet metal around the fender lips which merely give the appearance of lowered. All they had to do was add a little more sheet metal around the fender wheel wells.
You're absolutely right KEV and it's my biggest complaint with these cars as well. It is something that we constantly strive to correct in our streetrods, and when it cannot be achieved with wheels/tires, it is a PITA to attempt to achieve with sheet metal or f'glass and still maintain the correct radius. I would have thought this would have been addressed in the design of the SRT-8. Certainly anyone that had the foresight to develop so unique a car in the first place should be able to recognize such a glaring flaw and re-engineer it. This, the missing chrome and the lack of a set-apart design feature as compared to the other models, has me second guessing my desire to trade when the time comes... doesn't exactly seem like a trade UP, especially considering all the additional negatives that have been posted previously.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The problem with tyring to eliminate the wheel gap will be - there is almost 1.5 to 2" of unnecessary gap built into the car. However, when you use lowering spring to correct it - visually the wheel wells look great but now the car's chassis is too low to the ground and will be scraped all the time. The chassis is only 5.6 off the ground and lowering a daily driver 2" will have the car with only 3.6 inches of chassis clearance.

The car chassis is not high of the ground - the front scrapes on those parking lot concrete slabs when parking.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Redman said:
Red,
Get out the old Photo Chop and see if you can design out the wheel gap.
We can then vote on the best one.

My guess hiding the gap with more sheet metal will ruin the look of the car.

In my opinion the car's chassis can not be lowered any/much further without getting into rubbing/scraping problems.
I still have the 18" stock wheels and I bang the undercarriage on the sidewalk when I back my car into the street.
For a "family" car sold to the masses, lowering the 300/c any further is not an option for Chrysler, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Queen of Hearts

E55 KEV said:
The problem with tyring to eliminate the wheel gap will be - there is almost 1.5 to 2" of unnecessary gap built into the car. However, when you use lowering spring to correct it - visually the wheel wells look great but now the car's chassis is too low to the ground and will be scraped all the time.
Off with their heads!! :p

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
"Air silencer" - that implies mach force winds, no?

·
Registered
82 Posts
That Intake Manifold is pretty tall O_O

A smoother one should definatly increase some flow

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
wheel gap

Does anyone make an air bag suspension yet for these cars?

I figure w/a flick of the switch, you can get over speed bumps and steep driveways, but regular driving, you'd be drivin' low to get rid of the unsightly wheel gap.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1SICKLEX said:
E55 KEV, wow your the Admin here. I've seen you on MBWorld. Nice site here.
Welcome! Gotta go where the action is and the 300C and Magnum are Hot! You have a 300C Hemi also?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts