Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SRTs

By Mary Connelly
Automotive News / April 04, 2005

Chrysler's star cars

SRT VEHICLES IN DEALERSHIPS NOW
Dodge: SRT-4, Viper SRT-10 convertible, Ram SRT-10 Quad Cab, Ram SRT-10 Regular Cab; Chrysler: Crossfire SRT-6 coupe, Crossfire SRT-6 roadster*, 300C SRT-8

ON THE WAY
Dodge: Magnum SRT-8* (summer 2005), Viper SRT-10 coupe* (late summer 2005) Charger SRT-8* (4th quarter of 2005; Jeep: Grand Cherokee SRT-8* (1st quarter of 2006)

DETROIT -- The Chrysler group will allow all Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep dealerships to sell its limited-edition SRT performance vehicles.

Chrysler wants to build on the showroom drawing power of SRT as it expands its performance lineup.

Previously, SRT dealerships were selected based on volume and the potential local market for performance vehicles, says Dan Bodene, a company spokesman.

Dodge had the only SRT vehicles until the introduction of the Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 coupe last summer. SRT vehicles were introduced in the 2003 model year.

"Nobody likes to see a brand diluted," says Jon Myers, owner of Naples Dodge in Naples, Fla., and chairman of the Dodge National Dealer Council. "But the production and the allocation will be weighted toward Dodge. SRT is a superior fit into the Dodge lineup."

To sell SRTs, dealerships must get service training and purchase SRT service tools and parts. Dealerships also must advertise SRT vehicles.

About 60 percent of Dodge's 2,903 dealerships sell SRTs, and 30 percent of Chrysler's 2,918 dealerships sell them. Jeep dealerships usually are dualed with the Chrysler brand.

Chrysler will not disclose SRT sales volume or forecasts. But the model lineup is expanding.

Seven SRT models are in Dodge and Chrysler showrooms today. Four more are on the way. Jeep said last month that it will begin selling its first SRT model, the Grand Cherokee SRT-8, early in 2006.

Limited-edition SRT models feature horsepower, braking and handling upgrades.

Estimated production for SRT models ranges from fewer than 1,000 for the Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 to several thousand units for the Dodge Neon SRT-4. The Neon model will be discontinued this summer, Chrysler says.

SRT allocation will be determined on a "vehicle-by-vehicle" basis, Bodene says.

"We will always maintain exclusivity of SRT products," he says. "But the SRT lineup has expanded so much it is better to open up the distribution channel to all dealers. It is a natural outgrowth of the growth of the SRT lineup itself."

Chrysler will not predict how many dealerships will become certified to sell SRTs. There is no deadline for dealerships to decide whether to sell the performance models.

"Vehicles like this help bring people into the showroom," Bodene says. "If they can't afford it or don't want an SRT vehicle for any reason, very often they take a look at the rest of the lineup."

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
This is actually old news (in internet time). The change only means every dealer can APPLY to sell SRT's. They still must do the extra things as noted in the press release. There is no indication that total volume will be affected, just that you will now have potentially more dealers with which to chose to work. That in turn should force an increase in customer service/satisfaction.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
Who cares really....I'm buying my SRT-8 because it's the best for my dollar in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I don't want them all over the street, but I think they're exclusive enough with the production numbers I've been seeing.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
stang said:
there's gonna beeee alotttt moreeee!!!!!!!!! :eek:
Well to tell you the truth I come from the Corvette enthusiast crowd. There's millions of us....I have 2 Corvettes...BARE WITH ME! ... I didn't mention that to brag....

Now

What's amazing is that even though there's soooo many vette's on the road, we all wave to each other when we pass. :D That signifies owner satisfaction and overall PASSION for our cars.

Furthermore,

I can tell you the Corvette comraderey is incredible....That's what you get with a medium production number between Vette and Viper. This is something to look forward to.....Do you think the guys in the BMW 545i's wave to each other and hold clubs with as much member turn out???? pffffft....yeah right.

Now, the 300C is different....

Here's something to worry about:

Let's say I had purchased a Ford GT (retailing for $150k) and paid what we're seeing currently in the market of a purchase price of $250k++++ and then Ford said "Hey, we're boosting production by %300 ...

...THEN I'd be pissed!!!!!

But it really doesn't matter how many they make of the SRT-8....They're still ~$50k and you WON'T see many on the road....But, there will be enough to create an "enthusiast environment"

It will be for the best.

I'm content.

-Matt

·
Registered
20 Posts
vvv90 said:
Well to tell you the truth I come from the Corvette enthusiast crowd. There's millions of us....I have 2 Corvettes...BARE WITH ME! ... I didn't mention that to brag....

Now

What's amazing is that even though there's soooo many vette's on the road, we all wave to each other when we pass. :D That signifies owner satisfaction and overall PASSION for our cars.

Furthermore,

I can tell you the Corvette comraderey is incredible....That's what you get with a medium production number between Vette and Viper. This is something to look forward to.....Do you think the guys in the BMW 545i's wave to each other and hold clubs with as much member turn out???? pffffft....yeah right.

Now, the 300C is different....

Here's something to worry about:

Let's say I had purchased a Ford GT (retailing for $150k) and paid what we're seeing currently in the market of a purchase price of $250k++++ and then Ford said "Hey, we're boosting production by %300 ...

...THEN I'd be pissed!!!!!

But it really doesn't matter how many they make of the SRT-8....They're still ~$50k and you WON'T see many on the road....But, there will be enough to create an "enthusiast environment"

It will be for the best.

I'm content.

-Matt
I don't know quite what you mean by the "medium production number between Vette and Viper." But as an owner of both I can tell you that the TOTAL number of handbuilt Dodge Vipers put on the road since 1992 is LESS than any ONE year production of Corvettes. And the Viper ownership experience and camraderie is significantly more intense than Corvette. And that is no knock on the Corvette or the Corvette owner experience, as I said I am a current owner.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
GTS LEE said:
I don't know quite what you mean by the "medium production number between Vette and Viper."
Vette would be a medium production car.....A Viper would be a low production car. I meant there's typically more enthusiasts for cars with numbers produced between these scales. Not hard to understand really.

But as an owner of both I can tell you that the TOTAL number of handbuilt Dodge Vipers put on the road since 1992 is LESS than any ONE year production of Corvettes.
I wish I had a dime for every time I heard a Viper owner tell me that ROFLMAO. I know, I know. Sheesh! I am a Mopar guy you know.

And the Viper ownership experience and camraderie is significantly more intense than Corvette. And that is no knock on the Corvette or the Corvette owner experience, as I said I am a current owner.
To further make my point, we can talk about how tight and enthusiastic Shelby owners are over Viper owners.

That wasn't a knock on Viper owners ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts