Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all..

I was going to sell my 300C CRD but decided to keep it now.. Just wondering if the following is possible (and experiences of) :-

- SRT-8 interior? Direct bolt-in?

- SRT-8 suspension? (does it require a different ecu/reprogramming)

- Uprated brakes?

- De-chroming? SRT-8 bits or other?

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Hi, I don't think anyone has done what you are proposing which is probably why you have had no response. The interior (if available) would, I imagine, simply replace the existing. Uprating the brakes should present no problems but if your car is of a fair age then the bodywork will have faded slightly and to de-chrome now may require a paint job. Don't have a scooby on the suspension but I wouldn't think ot would require an ECU alteration.
Cheers John

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John.. I doubt the paintwork has faded noticeable, although a quick mop would fix that :)

I was under the impression that the suspension was 'adaptive', which would lead me to think there is some kind of control unit for it. Changing the dampers & springs would upset this calibration (if it does exist) - that was the reasoning for my question.

I'll have to wait and see what SRT bits pop up - perhaps easier now the SRT-D is available :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
In an effort to change the originally, IMO, truly awful low speed ride of my 2007 stock CRD Touring I have looked at several options including the following suspension changes

1. Startech sport spring (lowering) pack
2. SRT
3. 3rd party

From 1 dealer I have been told that “ to keep the car in Warranty the only suspension change I could do would be to an SRT retrofit “ which he reckoned would be prohibitively expensive in parts and labour.

However another dealer told me “My understanding is there is no further adjustment to your suspension that could be done to change the ride and keep it in warranty, but I will look in to any kind of Handling Kit that may be available (Possibly from the USA that may be warranty compliant.” I am still awaiting a response.

If you are interested in the suspension changes then

1. the Startech kit is on back order here’s their email from 30/4/08:

Please be advised that a lowering kit is not available from Chrysler UK who is our official distributor.

The lowering kit we produce will fit the RHD models. It includes 4 springs and 2 rear dampers please note that the rear dampers are required as the self leveling dampers that are fitted to your vehicle do not work in combination with the lowering of the vehicle.

Price for this kit is 990,00 Euros without VAT not including shipping.

At the moment this kit is on backorder and should be back on stock in 2 weeks.”

2 There are some SRT suspension parts on EBay in Germany # 120258427851
3 As well as some 3rd Party gear but you need to be careful as to model and engine etc and may have more luck looking for Dodge Magnum parts.

Wishing to stay in warranty I followed earlier good advice from this forum on tyre pressures and the ride improved a bit but I have recently fitted a set of 20’ Startech Monostar wheels and IMO the ride is much better - slightly firmer but much less space hopper jiggle at low speed with more feel but slightly more tyre noise. The new shod wheels are about 30kgs each as opposed to 26 ish for stock so there is a change in unsprung weight and a decrease in tyre wall impacting on the ride.

Don’t know about the interior as the plastic seats aren’t top of my list but the change in wheels / tyres has changed my car from something I was seriously considering selling to a keeper - let us know how you get on.

Apologies for the long post but the ride thing has been doing my brain in……

HTH

Kevin

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GRIDHEAD- some interesting points. There's a SRT-8 used suspension kit for sale in the states for £200 on ebay (didn't sell for £200 last time it was listed). I have considered this.. The one in Germany is considerably more expensive (relatively), but he may take a crazy offer - who knows!

I wouldn't touch any aftermarket stuff with a bargepole - i'd much prefer something that's been developed and tested by an OEM.

I am quite surprised you found the ride quality to improve by going up to 20" alloys. Reducing sidewall compliance typically does nothing positive at all, unless you were perhaps running something like a 70-profile tyre in the first place :).. The lowest sidewall profile i'd go to is 45, which I believe is the choice for the 20's anyway. I am tempted by the SRT-8 alloys, approx $2k from the states with tyres (+delivery).

I have found the auto-levelling dampers are crap.. the car 'buckaroo's' on the motorway when going through large dips so i'd have no issues losing that 'feature'. I have been equally disappointed by the low-speed damping, which also makes me curious how reducing the sidewall could improve things (as no doubt the medium-compliance the stock tyres have is hiding some of it)..

Last but not least, one thing that is bothering me about changing the suspension, is the difference in weight and balance of the car (being a diesel). I would assume the diesel engine is still heavier than the v6/v8 versions and thus would have different rated springs (or perhaps also dampers) than the petrol versions. Can anyone confirm if this is the case? Last thing I want to do is bolt on SRT-8 dampers/springs to find the front end is too soft/low due to the extra weight...

·
Registered
38 Posts
SAQMASTER - Like you I thought the 20 Inch could only make matters worse but, IMO, they seem not to, but maybes it’s psychosomatic and I am just hoping I’ve not wasted the cash. The Monostars run 40 * 245 on the front and 35 * 275 in the rear, so the change in tyre wall is pretty pronounced, don’t get me wrong you still get the wallowmatic from the dampers over speed bumps and the like but less jiggle at low speed if that makes sense, I seemed to be able to set up a standing wave at 10mph on any poor surface which made my belly(s) oscillate in a very disturbing fashion…

To assess the impact of 20s I would try and find a demonstrator with Monostars, if there are any left, to have a go in as there not cheap

Dealer quoted

“Startech Monostar Wheels-

Wheels £336.17 + vat x4
Tyres front £220.00 + vat x2
Tyres rear £250.00 + vat x2
Locking wheel bolt set £24.68 + vat x1
Tyre pressure sensors £38.05 + vat x4
Tyre pressure sensor mounting kit £12.00 + vat x4
Wheel nut set £5.00 + vat x4

Total £2529.56 + vat =£2972.23

For May I am doing a special deal of 15% discount for the above set
Labour price to fit above £180.00 + vat.”

and according to the dealer 2 from my original post “the STR-D has a slightly different suspension to the stock car” but he could be talking BS ….. NB I am running a touring which I believe has a slightly higher ride height than that the saloon so not sure if the impact is the same.

Re Kerb weights from the 300c touring brochure

CRD = 1945kg, 5.7 Hemi = 1955kg, SRT = 2035kg

One last thing if you aren’t going to do this yourself the labour costs are pretty steep for any suspension change which is why I was attracted to the startech kit, as most of the stock stuff stays.

Cheers

K.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'll probably do the swap myself.. I can't see Chrysler complaining as long as the kit is genuine.. (actually they're not allowed to)..

Hopefully this SRT kit will do the trick.. although the SRT being almost 100kg heavier.. eek I hope that doesn't give me bizarre ride heights! Only one way to find out..... :)

Oh, and out of interest, I do actually have three (yes, 3) 19" Monostars in my garage. I did intend to buy a fourth but a) I bought them as 20's, and didn't think it was worth the tyre expense, and then b) a year later I actually looked closer at the wheels and realised they were 19's and no good to me!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good luck and I hope these parts come with English instructions as after weeks of trawling european eBay I've realised that the lexicon of car suspension is way beyond babelfish and my German, French or Italian

If the stock SRT wheel are the same weight as the monostars thats 20 Kilos of unsprung so your only lighter by 80 so shouldn't be too bad on ride height.

There is a set of two 19s on ebay.co.uk that have just failed to sell and been relisted... if you wanted to do a speculative purchase for a full set for a voyager owner.

Let us know how you get on.

k.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I recall that there are two contributors who had their suspension tweaked. One person, can't remember who, installed Hotchkiss Swaybars and said they improved things greatly. Also 'Funland' did some tweaks to his new 300c. Might be worth a search on the forum.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rgr- thanks.. I had a lengthy read in the suspension forum this morning. I found the sway bars (both hotchkis and eibach) and also the polyurethane bushing kits.

It certainly has raised some questions in my mind.. I need to find out if the SRT8 geometry (arms/links) are different to the CRD because I don't want screwed cambers etc. by lowing the car (with the SRT-8 suspension i've purchased). I'm all for poly bushes and adjustable arms, but really for something like the 300C (it's never going to be a race car) i'm feeling it's quite unnecessary. However, dropping the car on the floor and fitting stupid 22"+ alloys will no doubt punish the OE bushings (that people are finding).. I won't be going down that road..

I'll try the SRT8 dampers+springs first.. it might just be enough for me, if not then i'll probably try the thicker anti-roll bar (shame you can't just buy the rear one?). I'll only look at adjustble arms etc. if there is a problem with the geometry once stuff is fitted :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interestingly, I just spoke to my local Chrysler parts....

The front suspension components (arms etc.) are the same between the CRD and SRT, APART from the front knuckle. Dealers have also received a letter stating that SRT wheels don't fit on the lesser models as the hub is different.

There are only two potential reasons I can see for this - 1) to adjust the offset (drastic, unlikely) or 2) for the 'swan neck' part of the hub assembly to clear the larger wheel package...

Quite a revelation.. surely someone out there must have tried to put SRT alloys on a CRD (or even v6) ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
There are now some sports springs on ebay #200077492179 but the listing does not mention any revised dampers that startech reckon you need for a 30mm drop.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts