Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's great to have a give and take with these guys, but the two big issues don't seem to be close to a solution.

Brakes - Sounds like there's going to be some new rotors and pads, eventually but no time line.

1-2 WOT stutter, hesitation, etc. - C'mon guys, quit pretending you're not aware of the problem. There's already been a TSB issued and most posters say that hasn't cured it on the early cars and the later cars are still having it.

Good information on the 6.1L cam. Funny how rumours start. Somebody changes a part # and all of a sudden there's a new "hot" cam with 15-20 more horsepower.

Rick

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
HealeyRick said:
It's great to have a give and take with these guys, but the two big issues don't seem to be close to a solution.

Brakes - Sounds like there's going to be some new rotors and pads, eventually but no time line.

1-2 WOT stutter, hesitation, etc. - C'mon guys, quit pretending youre not aware of the problem. There's already been a TSB issued and most posters say that hasn't cured it on the early cars and the later cars are still having it.

Good information on the 6.1L cam. Funny how rumours start. Somebody changes a part # and all of a sudden there's a new "hot" cam with 15-20 more horsepower.

Rick
Thin soup!

BTW - there has been a major shake-up at SRT. Dan Knotts is out ( I guess he's never gonna call this former Pro Rally Champ to come and drive the Targa Newfoundland for them now :) ). Here's the dirt:

The announcements led to changes in several interfacing organizations, as well.
In Street and Racing Technology (SRT), Michael J. Accavitti, 47, is appointed to the new position of Director - Dodge Motorsports and SRT Product Planning and Marketing, also reporting to Murphy. Accavitti was formerly Vice President - Marketing, DaimlerChrysler Canada. Kipp D. Owen, 44, is appointed Director - Street and Racing Technology, reporting to Executive Vice President - Product Development Frank Klegon. Owen was formerly Director - Proving Grounds and Durability Testing.

·
Administrator
14,572 Posts
BRAKES: It did sound a little more promising this time regarding the grooved rotors especially. Not sure about the pad situation, but they're definatley aware of it. They did afterall say something's in the works. Now it may be the design of the wheel itself! Could the spokes actually be the problem? Who knows.

1-2 SHIFT HESITATION: I found there were several different answers, none very helpful. They say they'll be taking that one back to the office.

CAMS: Exactly the same specs, and to think some people actually went out and bought new ones!

OVERALL: Pretty well run Q & A this time.

Rambit

·
Registered
701 Posts
They admitted that the engine runs rich by design. They ignored my question as to why.

They said that in the future, there would be a telltale to detect things like new chips or tuners changing software, so as to stop the warranty. They didn't say that such a telltale exists on our already-manufactured cars.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Rambit,

Thank you for the heads up regarding the forum chat. I was happy that the engineers listened and would've honestly been more concerned with a quick or flippant answer regarding the stutter shifting problem. Here's hoping they find a fix soon.

·
Registered
226 Posts
artichoke said:
They admitted that the engine runs rich by design. They ignored my question as to why.

They said that in the future, there would be a telltale to detect things like new chips or tuners changing software, so as to stop the warranty. They didn't say that such a telltale exists on our already-manufactured cars.

GM has already done this with their LS2 equipped PCM's. Every change or reflash leaves a permanent marker which can later be used to void your warranty. The era of reflashing your PCM for added performance is now officially dead.

·
Registered
482 Posts
cvp33 said:
GM has already done this with their LS2 equipped PCM's. Every change or reflash leaves a permanent marker which can later be used to void your warranty. The era of reflashing your PCM for added performance is now officially dead.
There is some discussion on DodgeTalk.com about the Superchips programmer for the trucks leaving a 'foot-print' in the PCM even when returned to stock programming. I, personally, think that DCX and GM and (enter car maker of your choice here) should be able to detect and void warranty coverage for issues arising out of these tuners. While DCX may not tune a vehicle for max performance, there is a danger in trying to extract that extra they leave on the table and many an inexperienced tuner has done damage.

As for the cams, I am waiting to see what the DTW guys think about that info :D They really got off on the specs when the cam doctor numbers got posted. I still can't get ahold of the 6.1L cam(AB or AC number), but have it on order. It is for my truck, not the SRT8, so no biggie right now(need to save for ported heads).

Todd

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Rambit said:
BRAKES: It did sound a little more promising this time regarding the grooved rotors especially. Not sure about the pad situation, but they're definatley aware of it. They did afterall say something's in the works. Now it may be the design of the wheel itself! Could the spokes actually be the problem? Who knows.

1-2 SHIFT HESITATION: I found there were several different answers, none very helpful. They say they'll be taking that one back to the office.

CAMS: Exactly the same specs, and to think some people actually went out and bought new ones!

OVERALL: Pretty well run Q & A this time.

Rambit
Rambit, good job posting the pics along with the brake dust question. They finally replied to you after pretty much ignoring those questions in past chats.
While I am more than appreciative of the opportunity that they are providing I have been disappointed in some of the replies as they tend to skirt a lot of the issues and seldom provide definitive answers. I can understand that for complex and newer problems but the brake issues have been going on a LONG time.

On behalf of several Grand Cherokee SRT8 owners I posted a question about an exhaust related rattle and the reply I got was this:

"Sounds like the exhaust system might be grounding out against something. check the length of the system and see if there might be a close clearance to a heat shield or something."

Now the question described the sound as like "ballbearings in a tin cup", a sound that one would never hear if the exhaust was simply hitting the heat shield!

I think a good idea for future chat sessions would be to split the 2-hour session into two parts - one hour specifically for "problems and issues" and the other hour for tech tips, tuning and everything else. But that might be difficult to implement being that people still post questions about future products, even though it has been stated over and over that those questions will not be answered.

·
Administrator
14,572 Posts
ResumeSpeed said:
On behalf of several Grand Cherokee SRT8 owners I posted a question about an exhaust related rattle and the reply I got was this:

"Sounds like the exhaust system might be grounding out against something. check the length of the system and see if there might be a close clearance to a heat shield or something."

Now the question described the sound as like "ballbearings in a tin cup", a sound that one would never hear if the exhaust was simply hitting the heat shield!
RS, I don't know if you saw my comments about the rattle noise in the thread or not. I had a similar sound as you describe in my 99 Dodge Ram. It was traced to the internals of the cat. converter. They had a bad batch of them back then from the supplier that all had to be replaced. I had mine done and the problem was solved. No idea if that's the problem or not, but you never know.

Rambit

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Rambit said:
RS, I don't know if you saw my comments about the rattle noise in the thread or not. I had a similar sound as you describe in my 99 Dodge Ram. It was traced to the internals of the cat. converter. They had a bad batch of them back then from the supplier that all had to be replaced. I had mine done and the problem was solved. No idea if that's the problem or not, but you never know.

Rambit
Rambit, yes I did see your comments later on, probably the same issue, wonder why the engineers would not have thought of that especially based on the "metallic" sound description?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Artachoak - running a bit rich saves parts. Regular useof BG44k will take care of the carbon deposits, and kep the fuel system clean and running awsome.

If your super worried about it you can have a BG engin carbon flush.

BG is good stuff.

As to the SRT Guys, they skirt too many issues IMHO. That and we need to weed out those pesky SRT4's :)

-Robert

·
Registered
231 Posts
Excellent session, Iam glad that there is something in the works for the brakes/grooving issue.

Does anyone know when is and where is the next Q&A session?

thanks

·
Registered
709 Posts
Wait!!! No T-shirt questions? Not fitted hats? Robes?

Yeah.. . when is the next session. I might have to stay up all night for that one. I'll get me a fitted hat and robe yet. :lol:

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
I think this session went very well compared to the others... each one gets better!

I understand some of the 'disappointment'; you're looking for certain info and in some cases they have to take the safe route, and in others they just don't have answers yet. The sessions would, no doubt, have a much different outcome if they didn't have a corporate 'umbrella' over their heads and could just kick tires with us, remember these guys are car guys just like us, but the reality is they have certain guidelines in which they must operate and hopefully we can all continue to respect that. :)

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
HEMEEE said:
I think this session went very well compared to the others... each one gets better!

I understand some of the 'disappointment'; you're looking for certain info and in some cases they have to take the safe route, and in others they just don't have answers yet. The sessions would, no doubt, have a much different outcome if they didn't have a corporate 'umbrella' over their heads and could just kick tires with us, remember these guys are car guys just like us, but the reality is they have certain guidelines in which they must operate and hopefully we can all continue to respect that. :)
Very well stated. I agree that each session has improved, and the moderators in every case have done an outstanding job of keeping the posts tidy, no easy task I am sure. You're right about the strict guidelines, these guys are well trained and rarely if ever slip up and let out info that they shouldn't. It's great that we have the avenue of communication with them. Maybe someday we can invite them to an "off the record" SRT toga party!

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Richly

artichoke said:

The why is for longevity. Rich means low EGT and that equates directly to piston life. These engines are tuned so conservatively you would not believe it. Lots of rich and retard.

Have you watched your oil temp? I have seen 240. I suspect that the head design actually burned off a little too fast thus generating too high temps. This led to the big detune for safety.

·
Registered
563 Posts
RobAGD said:
Artachoak - running a bit rich saves parts. Regular useof BG44k will take care of the carbon deposits, and kep the fuel system clean and running awsome.

If your super worried about it you can have a BG engin carbon flush.

BG is good stuff.

As to the SRT Guys, they skirt too many issues IMHO. That and we need to weed out those pesky SRT4's :)

-Robert
Aw, man, wheres the love for the second ever SRT product? :wall: :) All SRTs are special. not just the biguns:)

And I did go back and count, 240 posts, only 68 were SRT-4 related, and that includes all the Caliber questions:)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
ResumeSpeed said:
Very well stated. I agree that each session has improved, and the moderators in every case have done an outstanding job of keeping the posts tidy, no easy task I am sure. You're right about the strict guidelines, these guys are well trained and rarely if ever slip up and let out info that they shouldn't. It's great that we have the avenue of communication with them. Maybe someday we can invite them to an "off the record" SRT toga party!

Who knows...
they might actually make something other than a toga party...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts