Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright guys, i have seen a little bit on this before but wanted to take another stab at it.

I like many others have been hesitant to go with either the Mopar or K&N CAI because of the poor numbers ive seen (though eventually may just pull the trigger for fun and sound)

In the mean time i have a K&N drop in but id like to loose the silencer. What i was wondering if anyone who has done this has input on any sound difference etc. Im figuring just plugging the hole with a whatever diameter it is plug and calling it a day? Other thoughts were find a magnum or charger srt factory intake that no one wants....

thanks in advance for any help!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
removed silencer!

to be honest air intakes are not reporting any difference, If you remove the silencer it will be incresed sound and probably not be able to see or feel a difference or even see a difference on the dyno... I say you match up against another Srt8 thats stock.. make a run in 3rd gear while at 30 mph and stop at 80.. this will eliminate any driver error and if your car pulls ahead consistently I guess do the mod... It will sure be interesting!

·
Registered
482 Posts
If you are going to do an air intake mod, get Hennessey to provide you with his system and have it polished or chromed.....Hennessey probably hates me talking about his stuff, but his SRT500 in the June C&D has that system on it and it looks great!! The chromed intake manifold certainly doesn't hurt the look either ;)

Todd

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Has Anyone Removed the Air Silencer???? Let's hear your story

SidwaySRT said:
Allright guys, i have seen a little bit on this before but wanted to take another stab at it.

I like many others have been hesitant to go with either the Mopar or K&N CAI because of the poor numbers ive seen (though eventually may just pull the trigger for fun and sound)

In the mean time i have a K&N drop in but id like to loose the silencer. What i was wondering if anyone who has done this has input on any sound difference etc. Im figuring just plugging the hole with a whatever diameter it is plug and calling it a day? Other thoughts were find a magnum or charger srt factory intake that no one wants....

thanks in advance for any help!!
Has anyone done this? And if so, what did it do for sound?

·
Registered
291 Posts
SRT-8 silencers are in the engine bay area near the throttle body, not like the 5.7 regular 300Cs which is in the wheel well...So it is alot easier to remove and feel the results.
WhiteDiamond said:
If you are going to do an air intake mod, get Hennessey to provide you with his system and have it polished or chromed.....Hennessey probably hates me talking about his stuff, but his SRT500 in the June C&D has that system on it and it looks great!! The chromed intake manifold certainly doesn't hurt the look either ;)

Todd

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
maherm said:
SRT-8 silencers are in the engine bay area near the throttle body, not like the 5.7 regular 300Cs which is in the wheel well...So it is alot easier to remove and feel the results.
Yeah, I know where it is, I'm looking for anyone that has removed and what changed i.e. sound, etc.

BTW it is attached along the passenger side of the air intake inlet somewhat by the manifold. It's the thing that has the yellow tape on it that everyone jokes about.

The N20 installer is removing it from my car and I was looking to see what anyone thought that might have already removed theirs.

Anyone?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'd also like some info on this, wouldn't mind removing mine if it's safe.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Seriously though how are you going to plug the hole? By the time you fab something whether it is plastic, rubber, or some epoxy you will have way more time in it than if you had bought a Mopar CAI. Those things take about 10 minutes to install and trust me you will love the way they look and sound.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yo, Moose: where are you going to mount that yellow marvel mystery tape if you lose the resonator? That thing (the tape) is bound to be worth at least 10-15 RWHP just by itself, yes? :D

·
Registered
507 Posts
Has anyone removed the silencer and plugged the hole? I'm leaning towards ram air plumbing with k&n drop-in vice a DIY CAI. Logic is telling me that forcing air into the throttle body will be better than any size or shape CAI. Feel free to disagree (with reasonable arguments or dyno charts please:naughty:).

·
Registered
172 Posts
im trying to get some dyno pulls done. I can do a stock intake(because I didn't tear it up) vs my home made CAI.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
330toSRT8 said:
Has anyone removed the silencer and plugged the hole? I'm leaning towards ram air plumbing with k&n drop-in vice a DIY CAI. Logic is telling me that forcing air into the throttle body will be better than any size or shape CAI. Feel free to disagree (with reasonable arguments or dyno charts please:naughty:).
im still trying to find someone who has done this, i think i have moved to just wanting to get a charger/magnum intake.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I did it!

Alright guys,
The silencer is held on with a one-time-use clamp so I decided not to mess with the clamp. I wiggled the silencer until it came out. I thought it would leave a gaping hole in the side of the intake, but that was not the case. After removal there was a 2" outer-diameter rubber hose extruding from the intake about 2" in length. I did this in the Home Depot parking lot so I could run in and find something to plug it. In the plumbing section they happened to have a 2" rubber plug! It worked perfectly. Here is the result:

It is definitely louder and deeper especially above 4000 RPM. I like the way it sounds. I'm not sure how hard it would be to put the silencer back on with stock clamp, but if nothing else I could remove that clamp and use a conventional one if needed.

·
Registered
315 Posts
330toSRT8 said:
Alright guys,
The silencer is held on with a one-time-use clamp so I decided not to mess with the clamp. I wiggled the silencer until it came out. I thought it would leave a gaping hole in the side of the intake, but that was not the case. After removal there was a 2" outer-diameter rubber hose extruding from the intake about 2" in length. I did this in the Home Depot parking lot so I could run in and find something to plug it. In the plumbing section they happened to have a 2" rubber plug! It worked perfectly. Here is the result:

It is definitely louder and deeper especially above 4000 RPM. I like the way it sounds. I'm not sure how hard it would be to put the silencer back on with stock clamp, but if nothing else I could remove that clamp and use a conventional one if needed.
Since it is 2" you should plumb it out to fresh air under the front facia and put a small filter on it. more air more sound! Then post pics, parts list and price. We are eagerly waiting!

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
I'd like to send a thanks out to 330toSRT8, I did the exact same thing he did, even found the same 2" rubber stop at the Home Depot. I did not take off the clamp holding the silencer on, just like in the photo shown, and I had to pull on the silencer back and forth to get it to come off a little harder than I would have liked - what you going to do though?:biggrin: I did not damage the rest of the intake fortunately, but I was a little worried when it would not come off easily.

I do notice a little more sound now, I doubt there is any kind of hp increase and I almost worry about a loss with the potential for the air flow down the intake possibly being a little more turbulent now. Someday I hope I can afford an Air Hammer:biggrin: The main reason I removed it was to be able to get at the thermostat a little easier.

Eric

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
zzzzzz

(snort) huh?

Damn, this is an old thread. Let it sleep!

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
Actually - this thread needs an update. SRT-8's no longer have that silencer. You can just buy the new intake runner for a clean new look - with no silencer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts