Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Participant Guidelines:
  • Keep all questions on topic and related to the SRT lineup of vehicles - off-topic posts will be removed
  • Direct ALL questions to the SRT Team AND allow the SRT Team to answer ALL questions (no member discussions here)
  • Review existing posts to avoid repeats of a same question
  • Limit each post to 1 or 2 questions and be as brief and clear as possible
  • Allow time for a response - questions are not answered in order of post. If it appears you were missed, AND the same question was not previously answered for someone else, you may re-post before the session ends
  • The SRT Team cannot answer questions about future product
Note: We have been told that questions regarding the Dodge Challenger SRT8 are now valid questions since the car has been officially announced. You can learn more about the Dodge Challenger at the Dodge Challenger Forum.

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
The thread is now open for your pre-event questions:
-PLEASE follow the "Participant Guidelines" in post #1 above-

Thank you and enjoy!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 convertible. I had my dealer replace the standard 5-spoke wheels that came with the car with the lighter weight SRT Sidewinder wheels. Before the Sidewinders were mounted and balanced I measured the front and rear rims (without lugs, caps or TPMS sensors) at 17.5 lb front and 25 lb rear. Can you tell me the corresponding wheel weights of the standard 5-spoke rim, the new “Razor” rim and the “H”-spoke rim that are options on the 2008 Viper?

My next question is this: I would like to buy another set of Sidewinder rims (or comparable lightweight rim) and mount them with the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires that will come on the 2008 ACR Viper (295/30/18 front and 345/30/19 rear) for driver training school use only. I would still use my original Michelin PS2-equipped wheels and tires for street use. I had planned on installing TPMS sensors on the second set of wheels and had read that the TPMS senor module on the Viper could store data for a second set of rims, tires and TPMS sensors (for a total of 8 rim/tire/TPMS sensors). I have heard, however, from others who have tried this that the unit still has issues recognizing that many rim/tire/TPMS units and displays either a warning light or chime. Have you encountered this problem and if so, is there a workaround? If my only solution is to not install TPMS sensors on the track/driving school rims, will this interfere with the safe and proper functioning of the car? (I will, of course, be checking tire pressures frequently throughout the day when attending driver training events.)

Thanks for your time and a great line of SRT products.

/Rich

·
Registered
133 Posts
I noticed a black spoiler on the front of the Challenger SRT. It looks like that is easily replaceable, right? I seem to keep hitting my Charger SRT fascia on curbs etc., and this looks like a good solution to the problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yesterday I had to look for a new Goodyear RSA-EMT for my 2007 Jeep SRT8, and found them very few and far between. Is there another runflat that you would recommend? Since I live in SoCal a tire geared more towards performance rather than snow duty would be great.

Any manufacturer would be fine. The Michelins on my Viper were pretty easy to come by and also had the 12 month hazard warranty.

Thanks,
Lawrenzo
VCA member since 2002

·
Registered
1 Posts
SRT-4 and 09 Challenger Questions

Greetings and thanks for the great products!

Question #1 - I am eagerly awaiting the dealerships' ability to take orders for the 2009 Challenger. Will there be more rear fenderwell room in the production version as compared to the concept vehicle to accommodate larger tires? It didn't look like there was much room for improvement back there on the concept vehicle, and I suspect the 6.1 (or 6.4) and manual gear box will make for a potential traction issue.

Question #2 - I have upgraded my SRT-4 to the Mopar Stage 2 w/turbo toys. My question is regarding CARB certification. When ordered it was clearly not intended for CARB clearance, and the dealership held delivery on my kit saying they were waiting for the CARB number. They released it to me a week later, but no comment on CARB number. Are the Stage packages CARB certified and if so what are the numbers?

Thanks again for entertaining our questions and for making driving fun again!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I love my car, but have one issue at this time.

I know this has been addressed before, but I recall it was an issue with the front suspension. Well I replaced it, and am still having the issue...

I have a 2006 Charger SRT-8. I have replaced the stock suspension with KW V2's and am still getting the same front end thunking noise. It is intermittent, so the dealer thinks I am nuts.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2008 Challenger on order, but I have to drive over 800 miles to bring it home. Should I try and do some city driving before I hit the highway home or will the straight highway be ok for break in?

Thanks for doing this! Can't wait to get my Challenger!

·
Administrator
23,418 Posts
Thanks for yet another session guys!

I guess tonight all I'm looking for is some insight as to how much longer I'm going to have to wait till the Kicker system is available. I'm going on to near 7 months and still can't get my order to go through for my 08 Jeep GC SRT8. The Canadian and American Jeep sites have still not been updated.

March 10th has come and gone. Do you guys have anything encouraging for me this evening? From last month's session I was really countiing on better news. I called my dealer a few minutes ago and still nothing. Thanks!

Bernie

·
Registered
626 Posts
Not sure if these have been asked before but here goes.

What differential is going into the Challenger?

Is it something that can be retrofitted to the current crop of 4 door SRT's?

Would one be able to (mechanically) fit the manual transmission from a Challenger into a '06 SRT? I know that their would be software issues but would the parts, linkage etc. bolt up?

·
Administrator
23,418 Posts
Here's a Challenger question - When will Canadian pricing be announced?

Bernie

·
Registered
903 Posts
How much cam lift are the stock 6.1L SRT8 heads rated for? I see a lot of people spending money on upgraded their heads with aftermarket springs and retainers only to have those springs fail on even stock cams. Are the 6.1L springs safe to run most aftermarket cams? I realize an aftermarket cam voids the warranty and is difficult to say it is ok. Please include a disclaimer…this is for a crate motor with no warranty…Also, the mopar cam for the 392 (6.1 based) crate motor specifically states not for use with the stock pistons due to the valve clearance. Are the springs/retainers on the heads used on the 392s different than the 6.1?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Are the manual trans Challengers going to be part of the Track Experience? If so will they be used on the road courses or only in a limited capacity like the Vipers?

Is their a chance of Skip Barber getting back to running the TE (or any other outfit) or is Richard Petty going to be doing it for the foreseeable future?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, first of all I think it's great when the auto industry actually takes the time to converse with, not just the consumer base, but its loyal fan base as well and thank you for whatever answers you can give us :biggrin:.

Question #1: My first question probably can't be answered directly since you can't divulge any future product information. However I was curious to know if there is at least a possibility that future Charger SRT8s upgraded to the LY platform will perhaps receive a manual transmission? It just seems fitting that Charger SRT8s should be given a manual now since the Challenger will be receiving one. Plus the addition of a manual transmission could steal sales away from the new Pontiac G8 threat now looming over the Charger's shoulders IMO.

Question #2: The Challenger will undoubtedly be given retro colors in limited addition packages such as the Charger does. But I was wondering if the Challenger could be ordered in retro colors such as Torred, PlumCrazy, or Sublime without the need of waiting for a special limited addition? And how about retro decals such as a T/A stripe (Replace T/A with SRT) down the side?

Once again, thanks for taking the time to read over our questions and answering them to the best of your ability. MOPAR RULES!

·
Registered
1 Posts
MDS and a 6 speed

Thanks for doing this. That's why Chrysler is the best because they care about what their customers want.

I have a suggestion and a couple questions.

1. Have you considered setting up MDS to work like the BMW M feature. Where maybe you have a switch with 3 modes; cruise(4 cylinder mode), sport(6 cylinder mode) and SRT(full power mode). Just a thought because I have seen a lot of complaints about the reaction of MDS on the forums and also this may allow you to put it on SRT models.

2. I know that you can't comment on future products... but, any plans on putting the manual from the Challenger into the Charger? I prefer the look of the Charger over the Challenger but I will never drive an automatic unless it is a DSG.

3. Any chance the LY platform will shave some pounds from the LX?

4. Why hasn't the Viper gone to an Aluminum frame? Less weight increases acceleration, handling, MPG and reduces breaking distance.

·
SRT Engineering Team
273 Posts
Greetings and thanks for the great products!

Question #1 - I am eagerly awaiting the dealerships' ability to take orders for the 2009 Challenger. Will there be more rear fenderwell room in the production version as compared to the concept vehicle to accommodate larger tires? It didn't look like there was much room for improvement back there on the concept vehicle, and I suspect the 6.1 (or 6.4) and manual gear box will make for a potential traction issue.

Question #2 - I have upgraded my SRT-4 to the Mopar Stage 2 w/turbo toys. My question is regarding CARB certification. When ordered it was clearly not intended for CARB clearance, and the dealership held delivery on my kit saying they were waiting for the CARB number. They released it to me a week later, but no comment on CARB number. Are the Stage packages CARB certified and if so what are the numbers?

The Mopar Stage 2 Kit does not have a CARB number. It is not emissions certified and is for off road use only.

Thanks again for entertaining our questions and for making driving fun again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I understand that the Challenger with the 6 speed will have a different rear end ratio than the auto. Would there be problems involved in putting one of these rear ends in an automatic car after purchase? Thanks for listeneing

·
Currently Away From 300C Forum
19,565 Posts
Thanks for participating, once again, with one of the owner forums.

My question is more of a suggestion.

You've heard that many folks prefer the KW or MOPAR coilover system to the stock system. Would the SRT group consider offering that as an option for order on a new vehicle build sheet or, possibly, consider building the cars and offering them for sale equipped in that manner from the factory?

Thanks!!!

·
SRT Engineering Team
273 Posts
Yesterday I had to look for a new Goodyear RSA-EMT for my 2007 Jeep SRT8, and found them very few and far between. Is there another runflat that you would recommend? Since I live in SoCal a tire geared more towards performance rather than snow duty would be great.

Any manufacturer would be fine. The Michelins on my Viper were pretty easy to come by and also had the 12 month hazard warranty.

Thanks,
Lawrenzo
VCA member since 2002
The RS-A's are pretty easy to get from the Tire Rack in South Bend and you can get a warranty with them. We don't know of nor have tested any other runflats on the vehicle. The GCSRT8 is tuned around that RS-A tire, so no complaining allowed if you deviate. We predict you'll think the steering is pretty dead and the rear end pretty waggy with non-runflats.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.