Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

SRT8 300 cai, thermostat, and 87mm tb mod questions!

5K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  silver06hemic 
#1 ·
I am wanting to install a LMI cai, 87mm tb, and 180 degree thermostat on my 12 srt8 300. do I need to have a handheld tuner to install these mods, and if so which tuner do I buy? Diablo trinity?

#2 ·
You will a programmer (trinity or iTunes) to adjust fan settings to make use of the thermostat... It is also a great bang for the buck mod anyway for a whole host of other reasons. The TB is worthless unless for boosting or have a stroker as the stock flows more than is required even heads and cam applications.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
Check out billet technologies for Tue catch can... they make a nice unit that looks great and mounts solid. It's not a must, but not a bad idea either! Some will argue this but it will collect some oil over time so to me its worth it.

#8 ·
No they don't. And I agree with Silver06hemic. Not a necessity but I got the Billet can and it definitely catches oil that would otherwise end up in your intake. I get several tablespoons every time I check and my intake remains dry.

#11 ·
Does the 180 stat really make a noticeable difference in power, or it is hype like 80% of the other "magic" mods? I understand an engine makes a slight bit more power at colder air temps because of the density of cold air vs hot air, but is a 20 or so degree decrease in coolant temp that effective? Not trying to burst anybody's bubble here, just want to see some hard facts. BTW, I've tried the Intune on my car and it really didn't make much of a difference if any at all. I know the 1st gen really responds to it, but not so much the 2nd gen. The only plus is if you plan on doing extensive mods along the line IMHO.

#12 ·
It's not a power adder at all... It's a power retainer... All hemi's develop knock retard at temps above 195 due to the excessive heat wreaking its havoc. The knock sensors will pull timing to eliminate the knock and thus reduce your power. It has no difference at all on intake temps just like most CAI's for example. By using a 180 stat or below combined with a tuner to set fan temps you are keeping the car 90% of the time out of the KR danger zone and thus keeping all the power you paid for on tap. Take two identical 300's one at 205 and what 180 and do a 100mph pull and you'd be surprised at the difference in the real world. People argue about 2 or 3 tenths in a 0-60mph run, that's literally the difference of 3-4 feet on the pavement between two cars yet are happy to lose power through something so easy to stop. Factory spec stats are hot, they are worried about a combination of reliability, EPA requirements, comfort and lastly... Performance. With an SRT performance is higher up in that chain but not by much or else you'd have a blower on that car from factory already and the tuning wouldn't be locked on some cars. Anyway... I'm drifting on topic here... Bottom line, its not snake oil, its fact that high temps in a hemi (or most modern gen cars) equals KR, KR equals pulled timing, pulled timing equals lost power.

#15 · (Edited)
It's not a power adder at all... It's a power retainer... All hemi's develop knock retard at temps above 195 due to the excessive heat wreaking its havoc. The knock sensors will pull timing to eliminate the knock and thus reduce your power. It has no difference at all on intake temps just like most CAI's for example. By using a 180 stat or below combined with a tuner to set fan temps you are keeping the car 90% of the time out of the KR danger zone and thus keeping all the power you paid for on tap. Take two identical 300's one at 205 and what 180 and do a 100mph pull and you'd be surprised at the difference in the real world. People argue about 2 or 3 tenths in a 0-60mph run, that's literally the difference of 3-4 feet on the pavement between two cars yet are happy to lose power through something so easy to stop. Factory spec stats are hot, they are worried about a combination of reliability, EPA requirements, comfort and lastly... Performance. With an SRT performance is higher up in that chain but not by much or else you'd have a blower on that car from factory already and the tuning wouldn't be locked on some cars. Anyway... I'm drifting on topic here... Bottom line, its not snake oil, its fact that high temps in a hemi (or most modern gen cars) equals KR, KR equals pulled timing, pulled timing equals lost power.

Very well put. Couple the above with the fact that this is an under $20 DIY mod that takes about 15 mins (provided you already have a tuner for other reasons) , it makes sense to do it. If this was a $200+ mod I think you'd see very few people doing it.

And just a reminder for those that don't have tuners. If most of your driving is highway, the tstat swap will still benefit you. It's only in slow/city traffic that you need the fans adjusted to keep the temp down.

#14 ·
No problem pal... I think the common misconception is that certain mods gain power or torque, not all do... Some are more supporting that aid other mods gain or they are a retention mod for a possible flawed factory part.

I'd love to meet up! I'm in Naples but roam around from down here to Port Charlotte a fair bit for work and a few of my buds. My folks are out in Gateway so I'm there a fair bit as well... We should organize a meet and greet one day as well. Trying to setup a day at the Collier-Dade Airport as well, I will let you know when if ya interested? Wouldn't mind trying a run against a new gen 300! ;) Only ever tried the new Charger SRT on once...

#17 ·
Meet and greets are always fun! We should figure one out and let the few members from our area know! As for the old guy... Well I'm not old old... But as sure as hell feel it somedays... Always enjoy a get together and a car banter... Oh and we can always put the world's to rights at the same time as we probably know best! Lol.

I had a good run with the Charger... It's either a hell of a lot faster than the gen 1's out of the box... Or he's a well versed driver! I was ahead on an on ramp and merged hard from about 60ish onto the empty 75... He went an extra lane and tried a pass but I held him through 125ish and then said enough. I tell ya though on a roll it was faster than most of the gen 1's I've ran, even my buds 07 Superbee which is modded... I really don't know if I would have continued to hold him out or if he'd have come by but I was done either way, Lee County boys sit the middle by Alico and I didn't fancy explaining myself! I pulled off at alico and at the second light he lined me up... I ran a 4.1 on my TZ timer and he was securely in line with my back door, I could have sworn I was edging him by 80ish but it was a quick run and hard to tell as he may have let off a bit. Really was nothing in it... I did see he had either a mopar or Corsa exhaust, couldn't tell anything else. One of the few times I had a Charger SRT driver roll down his window for a thumbs up!

So if your the same weight... Don't be afraid of my old gal... She is quick but you've gotta get the launch right, get it wrong and I wouldn't catch up... Unless I spray a little! ;)

Sorry I'm done thread jacking!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.