Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Rather than search through probably outdated threads and resurrect older posts, I thought I'd ask here:

Is there a preferred cam that you guys use for good power in your SRT8's?

I used to own a Chev Lumina 6.0L (Pontiac G8) and it had Displacement on Demand (the running-on-4-cylinders thing), so I had to shell out over R30,000 ($2,800?) to get a Lunati fitted which eliminated the DoD, but it was worth it.

Do our Hemi's also need to have the DoD/AFM/MDS 'deleted' before we can fit cams?

Thanks.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The HEMI has MDS and VCT. To get the most out of a cam, you will need to replace the MDS lifters to the non-MDS equivalent, get a phase limiter or lock to prevent piston to valve contact. Also, a custom tune obviously.

Reactions: ambrin

·
Registered
562 Posts
The COMP Cams 274 is a popular cam for the 6.4, not sure if it's MDS compatible to be honest. I recall reading something that you need to eliminate MDS because of the lift of the cam. I forgot to mention that you'll need to upgrade the valve springs and get forged pushrods too.
You're looking at about $2,000 in parts to do a cam swap in a 6.4

·
Away From 300C Forum
19,587 Posts
Nope, you can't keep MDS going with a higher lift cam. It just won't work.

But if you are going to cam it, why worry about mileage? ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not at all concerned about mileage, it's just all the extra labour. I'm one for quick gains :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Not at all concerned about mileage, it's just all the extra labour. I'm one for quick gains :)
Quick gains? get a procharger and be done.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick gains? get a procharger and be done.
According to various US websites, the Procharger sells for $6,000 and the Maggie for $8,000.
In South Africa, a Maggie costs R117,000 to fit. So, roughly speaking, the Procharger should be less than R100k. This sounds good!

Anyone know, for sure, the prices of the fitment in the US of the 2 options? So I can roughly compare?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'd get a procharger personally.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I read of one on one of the forums. Gained something like 150HP and you get a tune from procharger with the kit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts