Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I make a general post, in case someone has knowledge to share regarding AMG brake conversion?

I gather that the callipers fit on the srt8 front end (not RT). To get the rotors to fit, was it a simple matter of machine engineering the AMG rotors to correct the pcd, centre bore and what about any mods to the hub assembly?

Any info is great, also any info regarding the rear assembly too is most welcome?? :01:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Thought I make a general post, in case someone has knowledge to share regarding AMG brake conversion?

I gather that the callipers fit on the srt8 front end (not RT). To get the rotors to fit, was it a simple matter of machine engineering the AMG rotors to correct the pcd, centre bore and what about any mods to the hub assembly?

Any info is great, also any info regarding the rear assembly too is most welcome?? :01:
Why bother you could up grade to the current SRT8 brake set up it works just fine without the heavy cost or a Merc system. The new 2011,2012,2013 Brakes work really well and don't fade. The only time I would even think about it is if I added double the power out put of the car or was in a race situation all the time. O sorry if it was for show prepossess .Just my thoughts excuse me if Iam out of line.
Cheers
Geoff

·
Currently Away From 300C Forum
19,565 Posts
I agree with geoff. Another thing to consider is that you can't assume those AMG calipers or caliper brackets will fit the SRT. I'd upgrade your C with the SRT package.

·
Have to be odd to be No.1
7,943 Posts
Not knowing what the AMG use, but guessing it must be ceramic? to consider upgrading

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi peeps, we rarely get coupes but this is SL model with the massive 8 pot, not 6 and in reasonable order> If it won't fit will be up for sale :yup:

I send pm to BTR, came across the idea when I saw this a year ago. Not sure if its a fake though, here is video?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Yep i have seen that vid .. And i tyried to buy BTR's amg calipers that he put on ebay.. he had a compleat kit that bolted right up.. So he should know which one's will fit.. good luck.
times that by 2 and it would be interesting to see how much the kit cost as well. If the brake pads are ceramic they are going to be expensive , Will keep an eye open to see how you go as Iam sure a lot of guys here will be following this thread with heaps of interest as well.
cheers
Geoff :notworthy:notworthy

·
Registered
504 Posts
AMG kit that bolted up?? I've done my research and I've never heard of such a thing. Unless he had them fabricated to bolt up.....

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well after 5 years it's now happening. I'm going with the 8 pots using the factory 5.7 non srt8 spindles. I've already painted the calipers, however I have a paint run on the 1st caliper which needs to be flattened down.

Also I'm on the lookout for a set of hellcat rotors, which I think is 390mm.

I reckon the mod bug is back!

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Almost finished, waiting for a new set of larger AMG rear rotors.

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, pleased to report fronts are done. Waiting for the rear AMG rotors to complete the project. Happy days.

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update. I replaced the 360mm srt8 front rotors with 390mm Mercedes AMG GL63 rotors. They are biggies. I added some photos comparing the sizes.

Also I'm now planning to replace the rear with 6 pots.
20191103_145616.jpg
20191103_153641.jpg
20191103_160134.jpg

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hi buddy, i read your awesome thread its brilliant write up!!!! I was looking at the same Hellcat rotors but didn't want to fork out a whole heap of cash. Essentially the front 5.7 and 6.1 spindles on bench are almost the same, the only tiny difference being the offset just shy of 4mm. Mounting hole also require it engineered from M12 to M13. Playing God with brakes I replaced all bolts with the highest tensile strength at grade 12.9, the stock srt8 Brembo bolts are rated at 10.9.

The GL63 on srt8 spindle will work with 10mm spacer between the caliper and spindle. Also I used 15mm as opposed to your suggested13mm for caliper to bracket, for every 5mm space gets a 10mm increase in rotor size.

I'm working on some AMG 6 pots to replace the current rear 4 pots, it's one of those unforgiving projects, my hairs are already falling out.

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Here my AMG 4 pots with e55 disc, the more I look the smaller it gets. Forgot to mention the AMG rotors also need to be engineered on the lathe to 73mm bore size and the bolt holes enlarged to accommodate 5X115 from Merc 5X112.
20190518_171913.jpg

·
Registered
179 Posts
Looks good and thank you for the detail. 6 piston on the rear sounds very unique, which calipers are you using?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's 6 pot pulled from the front end of c63. I'll have the brackets made but having gone through MB parts list, im on the lookout for a suitable rotor. I might have to switch back to 350mm srt8 rear rotor, for its size it has a large surface area for pads. I'll keep it posted.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Can't wait to see that setup!

What pads are you using up front?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts