Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just some EBC red stuff, I wanted something with low dust. They are ok, but so are Akebono pads. With all my cars, I stick on some 3M fabric to the rear of the pads. I cut them to shape with scissors and simply peel the backing and apply to the rear of the pads. Its worth the hassle and carnt go wrong. The fabric pads are becoming widely available and it's also cheap and easy to apply. I'll keep it posted buddy, still working on the rears.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Where do buy the backing pads from? Online I only see them from foreign ebay sources, are they not used in the US?

Do you place them under or on top of the shim? There isn't much room there to begin with in the caliper to increase the thickness of the pad.

I installed some Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic pads and they are good after an initial test.

I also have my trusted ones, StopTech Street Performance. Those are silent and provide excellent friction but they are unbelievably dusty.

I have Akebono in the rear and they are silent so its disappointing that they make noise up front.

I also tried the oem Mercedes ones but surprisingly they squealed louder than I could imagine. I have been messing with brakes for many years so I know most of the tricks including different lubes, pastes and shims, bedding or chamfering the pads on a bench. Nothing has worked for the noisy ones.

Sometimes it's just a chance combination of the pad formula, rotor and caliper that will or will not produce an audible harmonic.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Hi buddy, not sure if the above link takes you there. I don't think there's a right or wrong way of doing this but I remove the metal shimes that came with the pads and them use the pad as a template, I cut the fabric. It's essentially a sticky back fabric with simple peel the backing and stick on the pad of the pad.

After the material is stuck on i also apply some copper grease as a precaution measure and thorough clean the caliper. The method seems to work on mine, perhaps I've been lucky but I swear can swear the Akebono pads are really good, I used them in the past on others cars.

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Any luck with the link above?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Any luck with the link above?
Yes the link works but it's from the UK. The new pads I put are working great so far.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
20191204_145242.jpg
Its a deeper red, so going to paint it over Christmas break to achieve a colour match with the fronts.

Slight change of plan, I'm installing 390mm rotors at the rear and going to permanently remove the parking foot pedals, shoes and associated cabling. Then I'm going to convert it to electronic handbrake, using secondary electronic calipers with a handbrake switch inside the car, similar to the latest Chrysler Grand Voyager. Should be a nice challenging project to keep me busy.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts