Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share my weekend project. A few weeks ago I just happened to stumble across a catback SRT8 Challenger Exhaust for $100 on Craigslist. I was able to talk him down to $60 and expected the system to be torn up or at least be in very used condition. Before I went to buy it I was really unsure as to if this exhaust would mate up easily to mine, and I couldn't seem to find anyone who had done this before. My vague understanding of the L platform made me want to just bite the bullet and buy it. I knew that the main difference in the vehicles was just 4" and some minor architecture changes.

So I decided to get it. I get there and the exhaust was in perfect condition. Apparently it was taken off right after the guy purchased it and he just couldn't sell it (he must not have been looking in the right places).

Seeing as the Challenger (LC) frame is 4" shorter than that of my 300 (LX) I had to make some sort of extension for the exhaust I purchased. I was able to pick up about $20 in parts at Autozone in order to mate them up. Here is what I bought:

2x 2.5" OD/ID pipe (10" section) - basically this pipe has one side with an OD of 2.5" and one with an ID of 2.5".
2x 2.5" U-clamps

I ended up cutting the pipes down to 6.5" in order to get enough pipe in the expanded sections to ensure there would be no leaks. After wrestling with the exhaust for a while I was able to get it to mate up. Good news is that there were no leaks and everything fit perfect. All of the exhaust hangers are in the same location, and the mufflers even fit up behind the rear fascia.

After 2.5 hours of work I was done and ready to start it up. On startup I hear this deep bellow coming from the rear end :love: . It sounds ALMOST as good as the 6.1L (but not quite as good). Definitely better than the whisper quiet exhausts that come stock. It is a bit more aggressive on RPM sweeps and definitely more noticeable in the cabin. I'm sure theres also a tiny HP gain, which probably won't be noticeable. The only bad news is that there is now MDS drone :yuck:, which is something that doesn't bother me. Heck, I like knowing when it is on so I can keep it on (ha ha).

This week I'll be working on cutting my rear fascia to make room for the rectangle exhaust tips (wish me luck).

Let me know what you think! I'll have to post a video to youtube once I get around to it.

Here are some pictures:

Old exhaust (now for sale - posted elsewhere).

Front shot:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts