Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well those of you who know me are aware that I have been working on installing a true multichannel and multizone digital Alpine custom system into my 300. This system enables users either in the front or back to select what they want to listen to, watch or play. The system does not have a head unit, instead it uses the Alpine VehicleHub Pro system as the brain and the Alpine Multimedia Manager Audio processor as the digital masterpiece behind the sound. These components run together with the multimedia audio/video expander processor and all controlled via the three Alpine touchscreens and the Alpine control Orb. This has not been easy by any stretch of the imagination as it was almost impossible to fit all the components into the car while maintaining its originality. I believe it is a one off system that no one has yet put together in a way to get all the components to integrate properly. Apart from these components, the system includes an Alpine DVD changer, Alpine Digital TV tuner, full Alpine touchscreen Ipod integration and a rear reverse camera intergrated with the rear park assist. Still to come will be the new Alpine Navigation system once it is released here in Oz, rumoured 2009-10. The sound arrives at your ears via custom made cables fed to the four crossover networks from the media audio manager, powered by none other than 3 JL Audio slash series amps and a Pioneer amp to power the 1 centre channel when running in 5.1 theatre mode.

...this was the first step in getting the first touchscreen control placed upfront to fit allowing room behind the screen for the two Alpine Crossover Networks. All parts were removed from the original bezel and swapped over to the new Navigation bezel which was later painted along with the shifter bezel, more pics to follow later. The US supplied metra kit was used for around the touchscreen to obtain a clean factory finish that didnt look like an aftermarket install that went wrong.

This was challenging as we had to get the PAC modules installed behind the two crossovers also. The next step was now trying to find space for the other components so they where located together for the wiring integration and PAC module interfaces to enable us to tap into the factory loom, program the PAC modules to also retain 100% steering wheel controls. After the crossovers, pac modules and touchscreen were installed we started to run the custom made audio cables to the front stage consisting of, (2 front mids, 2 front dome tweeters, 2 front bass drivers & 1 centre channel) and then towards the back of the car to were the amps were to be located.

...nope, no room under here for the processors, keep looking for space....8 hours later a rethink had to be sorted for were the processor modules were to be placed...

...the above picture shows the three pac modules wrapped in high density foam, cable tied and wired into the factory loom....

...above is the three pac modules required for any 2007+ model to retain all controls via the canbus interface, steering wheel controls. C2R-CHY, SWI-CAN & SWI-JACK. The SWI-JACK is for any JVC, Alpine, Clarion or Kenwood deck that uses the 3.5mm plug in interface.

...the above picture is the pair of alpine Crossover Networks which control the left and right front stage, excluding the centre channel. They were screwed inplace so we could measure the amount of clearance we had towards the front.

...the above picture shows the powered dummy setup to enable us to power up the touchscreen, vehiclehub and program the pac modules according to the functions on the Alpine Orb. This step enabled us to program, scan, seek, forward, back, play, pause, select and mode functions.

...the above picture shows the cables running from the front to the back, most of them audio feeds and the wiring harness loom from the touchscreen upfront. At this stage approx 35 linear meters of shielded audio cable had been used!

...all audio cables were run through the factory looms, no wiring is visible and hidden from sight. The paired blue wires you see here above the factory loom have been installed for a future modification.

...okay so here is the finished product of stage 2, the crossover networks and pac modules. Behind them is were the pac modules are secured in and the networks are wired in. Clean installation, no movement, no dash rattles or vibrations. (Mind you I lost some more hair during this stage!!!)

Stay tuned.....more to follow........

·
Registered
186 Posts
looks sick nice idea it will be "dope original" once completed

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good so far. What kind of speakers will you be running? Are you planning to mount them in the factory locations? I'm also interested in the design of the sub box (if you're going to have one).
...all stock speakers have been used in their factory locations. There have been only 2 additions to the system, 1 pair of Alpine tweeters and 2 10" JL Audio W3 subs in a sealed enclosure. The rear Kicker 6x9 two ways were modified to allow the crossover networks to feed the speakers properly, turning them effectively into 2 rear 2way splits. Picks to follow.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks sick nice idea it will be "dope original" once completed
...ide like to know if anyone else has created a system like this, or knows of someone who has. There was quite a lot of custom wiring and switching gear created to achieve the desired end result.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
Heard and seen this the other week and let me tell you, it is better than Kosta is letting on. Install is A1 and sounds unbelievable.

Well done again mate. Top job.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
...now that the front has been finished this is what the radio and shifter bezel looks like after it was painted.

Custom paint work was carried out by none other than our friendly resident "panel & paint" technician, Troy aka AIR22. (Great job by the way mate).

Must admit I like this better than the original SRT pattern but might not be everyones cup of tea. Gives the interior some class without the cheap vinyl sticker look imo. Ill post some pics taken in day time as these night shots tend to make the colour look a little blue from the flash.

...the colour is more like a metallic silver detail over black.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heard and seen this the other week and let me tell you, it is better than Kosta is letting on. Install is A1 and sounds unbelievable.

Well done again mate. Top job.

...thanks for the confidence vote mate, now help me win back some of my hair! It does sound sweet from a musical perspective but not as sweet as the monster hemi your building which is going to pur like a kitten, and bite the head off a f****n tiger!!!

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
LOL.......still a little while off yet though mate. RDP only got the Cam lifters valves etc today and Steve whilst in the States got confirmation the custom crank rods and pistons were also right to collect. Definitely miss it thats for sure.

As i mentioned though mate killer install.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
...now that the front was lets say 90% complete and wired up, it was time to make sence of the cables that were filling my boot space. The two rear kicker speakers needed to be modified and reinstalled running new cables once again. (See pics below).The kickers were modified so they would function as rear splits via two Rockford crossover networks.

At this stage the rear parcel shelf was also modified to reduce any vibration or resonance. The two rear Alpine touchscreens where also fitted off and the cables run either side back to the boot to join their other friends.

Now it was time to work out just were to mount all the amps, processors, the two remaining crossovers and sub enclosure not to metion the DVD changer. F**k I said to myself, for a big car theres not that much free space in it if you are trying to conceal equipment. To make a false floor or loose your bootspace was no challenge, the challenge here was to save as much space as possible and NOT destroy the car in anyway if avoidable.

As it turns out we only actually drilled a total of 9 holes into the body of the car. 6 of these were drilled into the parcel shelf to secure the custom made brackets to fix the sub enclosure into place, 2 holes to secure the custom made relay switching module (see pics below) the other was for the negative terminal post from the battery.

...the sub enclosure was put in place to get a feel on space and what I area I was going to need behind the enclosure to mount all that was needed. Yes, the audio components were going to be mounted to the back and underneath side of the sub enclosure.

What about the amps you ask??? Well I also found a nice spot for them also...below is a couple of pics of the custom moded 6x9 Kickers...

...you can see the second pair or terminals that were added to split away the tweeter from the bass driver.

...above is a picture of the custom made relay module that now controls the on/off operation of the two rear touchscreens. If the kids arent listening or misbehaving, daddy flicks the button and theres no video in the back. The module works in tandem with the custom made control panel upfront pictured below...

...the control Orb placed above the control panel is the heart of the VehicleHub. This really doesnt have to be installed as everything is controlled from the touchscreen upfront.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL.......still a little while off yet though mate. RDP only got the Cam lifters valves etc today and Steve whilst in the States got confirmation the custom crank rods and pistons were also right to collect. Definitely miss it thats for sure.

As i mentioned though mate killer install.
...cheers mate, well if you want ill bring mine up for another coffee, let me know when your free one night.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...I will have some pics posted up over the next few days on the rest of the install and how it turned out.

·
Registered
522 Posts
...nice install,I have a lot of alpine in my truck and a bit in y 300...just curious as to why u didn't use their PDX amps? They are tiny, make rated or more power, and are fairly easy on the alternator /charging system etc......But very nice , and I feel for u cause I wired up the system in my truck and allthough it was less complicated I can definitely imagine what you are going through.....

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
...nice install,I have a lot of alpine in my truck and a bit in y 300...just curious as to why u didn't use their PDX amps? They are tiny, make rated or more power, and are fairly easy on the alternator /charging system etc......But very nice , and I feel for u cause I wired up the system in my truck and allthough it was less complicated I can definitely imagine what you are going through.....
...I decided to use the JL Audio amps as they have more clean power and adjustments. Further to this if these amps ever develop faults or I somehow fry them, they are easily repaired. If you kill the digital PDX amps, throw them away. I cant see the sense investing in amps in particular if they cant be repaired. The JL Audio gear is great, power and heaps of clean punch. Analogue sound will always out do digital. Yes the PDX's are more friendly on the alternator agreed. Yea you have to love the Alpines method of madness with their wiring looms and complete lack of customer support.
:pat: :pat: :pat: :pat:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
...the next part of the installation was to mount the amps. The ideal place I decided for them was to mount them across the back seats. This was a problem as the seats are split fold. I fabricated and shaped a carpeted board that fit across the entire seat and secured it to the framed mould of the seat insert. This way there was no damage to the rear seat at all. Even with the system removed you would never even see the holes through the carpet, converting the car back to almost 100% stock apart from a few small holes that would not be ever visible. Below are some of the pics I took at this stage of the install. Now the measurments and fitting started to get very tricky. Remember, Im trying to save as much space as possible in this install.

...the shaped board the amps are mounted on fits snuggly into the opening through the boot.

...at this stage I had to be carefull as to my space and measurement restrictions. When the seat was folded up and the sub enclosure pushed into space, I had approx 60mm between the back of the sub enclosure and the amps. This space is now my hidden cavity to conceal the audio and video processors.

At this stage of the install over 80 meters of cable had been made, installed and run throughout the car. Stay tuned for the wiring experience of a lifetime!!!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts