Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the engine in my 300 SRT8 at only 43,000 miles. Front two pistons destroyed. Dealership says that a valve spring failed, dropping the valve into the cylinder and demolishing the piston. The opposite piston was also destroyed. This all happended while just driving down the street at 45 mph. Not even having fun at the time. I am wondering whether this was a freak occurrence or something more common to this engine. I did not see any other posts suggesting this type of reliability problem with the engine. I want to trust my car again, but am nervous.

$8,500 for the engine replacement. Fortunately I had an extended warranty ($1,700), had maintenance records, and was able to jump through all the warranty company's hoops. Cost me $50 deductible.

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
Jeez, that's too bad. I remember when these things first came out and that exact same thing happened. It was a huge deal at the time and the SRT Engineers flew out to see the engine.

Good to hear you at least have an extended warranty. Me too and glad I do.

I'm really interested in your car too. I'm sure you must realize just how rare it is as there were only 252 2005's made excluding the 11 pilots. I'm assuming you bought yours new.

You won't have Private Messaging available to you till you have 10 posts and 10 days here, but if you'd care to post your last 6 of the VIN I can tell you some things about your car. Please tell me you still have the two piece front fascia and lip spoiler!!!

Hey, and one more thing...Welcome!!!

Bernie

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
I also wanted to ask if you have any engine mods. There have been a few blown up engines, not many, but a few. Most that I'm aware of were the result of SC's without tuning and some with heads & cams without proper tuning. All in all the 6.1L engines have proven to be very reliable under stock conditions.

Bernie

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought it used at a BMW dealership in the fall of 2006 with 29,000 miles. The original owner had traded it on a new BMW and the dealer just wanted to move it. VIN 627513. Mfg. Date 3-05. As far as I can tell it has the original two-piece front spoiler and facia. Up until this blow up, I had replaced the rotors and pads, and performed routine maintenance. I love the car like no other I have ever had. It is a blast to drive. This really shook me because I have never had an engine fail with so few miles.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I remember when I bought my first New 69 Roadrunner.....it leaked oil from day one, so on day 2 I took it back to the dealer. The Service Manager said it was new, so that was natural...and to give the seals a chance to swell up... Really? Rather than argue with the guy, I asked for a light...I discovered the block was cracked....they said we will order a new block and do a rebuild....NO WAY. I spoke to the GM. He laughed. I spoke to the owner.....He ordered me a new 440-6 pack. Things do go wrong. Its nice to know that some people take care of the customer. That was my best car buying experience in almost 40 years, as a young Former Marine who just left active duty and was starting college.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
well look on the bright side...technically your 300 is worth alittle more now ....
glad it was warrantied and they actually obided by it, thats a close call, 50 bucks or 8500 hmmm amazing

·
Registered
377 Posts
I had the same problem. Dropped a valve and the extended warranty covered it. I only needed a new head though so guess I was pretty lucky. Now even with aftermarket heads I'm skiddish about revving it out. Guess it does something to ya when it breaks and makes you scared it will do it again but this time you won't be so lucky.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Anyone know if there are any warnings signs for these types of engine problems? I know that for the most part these engines are rock solid but any noises or performance related items to pay attention to? Just the thought of something like that happening to my baby gives me the chills.

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
The only noises I'm aware of is the hemi tick and the oil squirter whine. Both are completely normal and characteristic of these engines.

With the tens of thousands of these engines that have been built versus the handfull of failures I'd say you have nothing to worry about. In fact, most of the failures have been due to improper or no tuning with add ons like cams, heads and superchargers. I imagine since the Predator and CMR tuning even that number has been drastically reduced.

Bernie

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had no warning signs. No strange noises or performance symptoms. Just cruising along at 45 mph and suddenly heard a clunking noise and lost power. I had performed all of the routine maintenance and no mods. I don't know for sure how the engine was treated by the previous owner, but it didn't show any problems. Very strong.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone. Certainly no fun, but at least I've got her back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts