Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WTF?!?!?!

O.k. this pisses me off, is this happening to anyone else?

Essentially, at WOT when hitting redline (6200) instead of shifting, it cuts the fuel for a split second robbing power between shifts....It doesn't do this all the time, but about 50% of the time.

Anyone anyone? Buehler?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
vv90

sorry brother love...
gotta have a car first to have the problem...
can you pass me some of that cheese with my wine... :biggrin:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yep, first time I really climbed on it (I joined the 140 mph club on Carefree HWY at about 3 in the morning), it redlined before shifting into third, I was shocked and jumped out of the throttle, so i didn't notice if it cut the fuel. I never thought the RPM would jump up like that in drive, I figured just maybe downshifting quick in autostick might do it.

I keep my eye on it, I'm just not comfortable with 6K+ RPMS in my new car, go ahead, call me a wuzz :nutkick:

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I definitely does it in autostick, but that's obvious to me why, but once the car gets broken in, just take the time to downshift to 2 or 3 and hit 6200RPM's. it won't hurt anything as the car is built to take it, but it just seems that they programmed in the rev limiter WAY too close to the shift point.

Somebody has to be experiencing this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine has done the same thing a couple of times. I was wondering if it was the rev limiter or something to do with the ESP. Either way, it feels like the car falls on its face right in between WOT 1-2 shift. I don't think it has done this when I have the traction control off, but then again it doesn't do it all the time.

·
Banned
87 Posts
vvv90 said:
WTF?!?!?!

O.k. this pisses me off, is this happening to anyone else?

Essentially, at WOT when hitting redline (6200) instead of shifting, it cuts the fuel for a split second robbing power between shifts....It doesn't do this all the time, but about 50% of the time.

Anyone anyone? Buehler?
Is it just me or does it appear that you drive your SRT8 extremely hard or shall I say more agressively than most. I'm not saying that you shouldn't enjoy it but after reading your post the 1st day you got her, I would have thought perhaps a bit of cuddling and cooing was in order before beating her to death. To spend nearly $50,000 on a rare find only to be mashing the accelerator to the floor day after day seems to be a problem waiting to happen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
in 'drive' as in auto mode or 4, 5th gear...

Seeing as how I drove one yesterday I made a similar observation about the way it shifted. Does it offer a sound when shifting also? I found that the car makes a sort of gurgle, or gasp as it pours through each gear at the top of the rev cycle.

Maybe it's the same thing you are experiencing. I found that, although it was (for a split second) lagging, it gave it a hellova sound and a great feel.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mls03 said:
Mine has done the same thing a couple of times. I was wondering if it was the rev limiter or something to do with the ESP. Either way, it feels like the car falls on its face right in between WOT 1-2 shift. I don't think it has done this when I have the traction control off, but then again it doesn't do it all the time.
MLS03....THANK YOU!

I'm glad I'm not the only one....Whew....But actually now that I think of it, it kinda sucks that this is normal. I'll have to take ESP off to see if it happens, but I don't see how it has to do with it unless the computer is SOOO fast that tire chirps in between shifts are being countered with the system. :eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
vvv90...your welcome

I was thinking the same thing. I have been taking it easy lately waiting to pass that magical 5000 - 6000 mark (4000 miles now) just to see if something changes. The service Tech at the dealer said that the another 80 hp would be released at that mileage. Of course I didn't beleive him, but then I read about what others were also saying at that milage and started to wonder....is the rev limiter programmed to come in a little early until we hit that magical number???

·
Registered
158 Posts
maybe there needs to be a new computer chip and programming to change this,however Chrysler is very smart having it set up this way for warranty issues!!!I imagine we would be all getting new motors after awhile,if they didn't have it built in!!! :nutkick:

·
Registered
375 Posts
I thought it had something to do with cutting the fuel at shift point (not the rev limiter) in order to be smoother shifting with the trans (??) ....remember reading about this awhile back...

·
Administrator
14,583 Posts
Mine will do it whenever I punch it from the line...kinda scary the first time it did it. I think they all are doing it. Maybe it depends on what kind of pavement we're on 'cause if the tires grip it won't do it.

Rambit

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
bigvrodder said:
Is it just me or does it appear that you drive your SRT8 extremely hard or shall I say more agressively than most. I'm not saying that you shouldn't enjoy it but after reading your post the 1st day you got her, I would have thought perhaps a bit of cuddling and cooing was in order before beating her to death. To spend nearly $50,000 on a rare find only to be mashing the accelerator to the floor day after day seems to be a problem waiting to happen.
I've been driving cars hard and fast for a long long time....I'm not doing anything to the car that it wasn't built to take. This is an SRT-8, it was purpose built AND BOUGHT to drive hard. I by no means "beat" on this car it's quite a big difference.

Neutral drops
Redline below operating temp
Bad gas
brake torques
etc...

If you look in the manual it says "brief WOT acceleration and varying the RPM's" is good for break in. Well, I'm 700 miles over the break-in period so what I posted about doesn't really qualify anyway.

I believe engines are supposed to be ran like they're supposed to be ran. Engines that only see a narrow average of RPM's over 50-100k miles (basically driven like grandma) will have worse problems down the line if ever exposed to WOT low load vs. low RPM high load conditions.

What people don't understand is that so long as an engine is properly tuned for AFR (which actually I don't think the SRT-8 is yet) will see less carbon deposits, injector deposits, and blow by (due to properly seated rings) at higher RPM, full timing conditions done at approriate temperatures.

As for the 140MPH??? Like I've said to anyone who hasn't driven an SRT8, you have absolutely no idea how effortless it is to do this. Go back an reread my post....This was 2/3-3/4 Throttle at 4500-5000RPM....AND The thing shifts at 6200. It wasn't even stressing the 175MPH top end beast even slightly.

I'm sorry if the fact that I bought the "race" version of the C and using for that very reason bothers you but personally, I think not only the SRT team, but Ralph himself would be proud. ;)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
bigvrodder

if and when I get mine...
vvv90 will be at the bottom rung...
ok, just below me for what you might consider abuse...
I live in San Diego and will run anything and everything that I come across without the kids or wife in the car...
we have a lot more wide open spaces and multiple lanes and if the time and space allow for it - traffic is really not that bad here in certain areas...
I am so tired of company cars and for the last year driving my wife's S 70 T-5 volvo - yeah it top ends nicely and goes somewhat quick - but it is not a neck snapping (someone's words here - I think one of the guys in Calgary that got a ride) and I CANNOT wait to stomp on the pedal every freaking time...
mpg...
I'll be the one to tell you how low it can get by being on it all day...
this is going to be my daily driver...
and I will pound the heck out of it...
in my neighborhood - let me tell what I saw on the way into work in 5 miles of a single county road this morning 3 bentleys, 2 ferrari's, 2 amg 55's, 2 540's a 645 and a couple of s4's - mix in the lexus', infiniti's and the smorgesbord of Mercedes of "other" classes and the gaggle of sport utes that the moms drive and you get the picture of why I'll be running hard and trying to keep the SRT-8 honor intact...
my bigger worry is the brake problem that is going on right now...
So vvv90 - you just keep running the wheels off of it...
i'll be joining and passing you soon... :biggrin:
speaking of speed - does anyone know the rating of the tires?

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
5point7 said:
I thought it had something to do with cutting the fuel at shift point (not the rev limiter) in order to be smoother shifting with the trans (??) ....remember reading about this awhile back...
Well, this is not aiding in smoother shifts. It actually causes harder shifts if you ask me.

The tires don't chirp, but when the power comes back on it REALLY comes back on, shifts into the next gear, and you're off again. It's not a big detriment to the "fun factor" of the car, but it's definitely a performance hinderance.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
stang said:
maybe there needs to be a new computer chip and programming to change this,however Chrysler is very smart having it set up this way for warranty issues!!!I imagine we would be all getting new motors after awhile,if they didn't have it built in!!! :nutkick:
Yeah, I'm thinking the Jet chip will fix this pretty good ;)

But actually I am starting to this is an ESP/TCS situation.

I'll get on her tonight, with Bigv's permission. ;) , and let you know what happens with ESP disabled.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
vvv90

you've got my permission!
So try to really run it tonight...
weather and traffic permitting...
and thanks for the info on the tires...
I haven't looked at the car file in a week after the news I got on Friday...
let's just say there are other issues now...
and Kicker is not one of them...
that is "handled"
so the 25 unit production number a day is more like 2-4 units...
oh, and don't lift...

·
Administrator
14,583 Posts
vvv90 said:
As for the 140MPH??? Like I've said to anyone who hasn't driven an SRT8, you have absolutely no idea how effortless it is to do this. Go back an reread my post....This was 2/3-3/4 Throttle at 4500-5000RPM....AND The thing shifts at 6200. It wasn't even stressing the 175MPH top end beast even slightly.
I agree 100% with that. This thing will do 140 mph in a heartbeat without any effort at all. It wants to go way faster than that too. I've had my car almost 3 months now and this past weekend was the first time I've managed to get it out on the highway. I have 2400 km's (1440 miles) on it now all in the city. It runs SO much better now that all that carbon is blown out. I really wanted to see how fast it would go, but my son (the pussy) wouldn't let me. I would have ended up in jail, got a huge fine and lost my licence for life! I wish I was back in Germany with this car! People just need to drive this to see what it wants to do.

Rambit

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Rambit - maybe we'll find out tonight from vvv90

if I had mine...
if, ands, and buts...
I would be able to tell you most assurdly...
there is a big difference between 150 and 173 though...
and it gets a little hairy...
most cars run very stable at 150 still...
but you inch above that golden number of 155 and things start to happen...
keep that in minds boys and girls for those never having touched this arena and ready to find out what your car can top out at...
it really is a different world...
and abosolutely addicting... :biggrin:
hey vvv90...
I can still make the flight to Chicago that leaves in 1 1/2 hours if you need a co-pilot? :wink1:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts