Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, just a breif backround, my last 300C had all new speakers and also all new amps and subs. It was a loud system and I didnt want to go that route with this car. BUT I did upgrade the sub and amp which was easy and much needed. I also upgraded the dash speakers to the Kappa 4" (I removed the center speaker, and if anyone has a extra kappa 3.5 inch or a extra kappa 4" let me know I would buy it from you).

Now it lead me to the door speakers that I could BARELY hear. I mean they were so soft I didnt know they were on. And it was not something where I could just upgrade the speakers because it was not the speakers that were soft, it was the amp that was not putting alot of power or frequency to the door speakers. Apparently my SRT8 Kicker system only provided 120 hz and down which is almost like a subwoofer.

Yesterday I upgraded by finding a local dealer with the amp (you can also get it at mopar super center for like $175 I got mine for a ill less and didnt have to wait!). I swapped it out, took about 50 minutes or so and no crazy tools required to do the work,

The sound stage in the front is actually DRAMATIC. Oh my what a difference, The mids and doors are pounding. I was shocked at the difference. It was a cheap upgrade considering you can sell the factory amp also! I would HIGHLY recoommend this upgrade to anyone that has an aftermarket woofer in the back, because this is pretty loud.... You will need the extra bass to keep up!

Overall its one of my favorite mods

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are correct this is not the stock SRT amp. This one has a digital processor and the sound stage is completely different that was in my car from the factory. It is a cheap and amazing upgrade without re wiring the entire car.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Excellent!!!!

Glad you got things sorted out. Good to hear there is an inexpensive
mod for folks who don't need/want to add a lot of components
to their stereo.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent!!!!

Glad you got things sorted out. Good to hear there is an inexpensive
mod for folks who don't need/want to add a lot of components
to their stereo.

No pics because it looks IDENTICAL to the sock one. The only difference is the insides! It was super easy to replace too. You only need a 10MM socket, phillips screwdriver, a 7mm wrench and a 7mm socket.

Thanks Coolv300c you were a large help, and if I was going to do the extra amp like I originally thought you would have been a great help. NOW, I think if I wanted to upgrade the door speakers it would help, and make a big difference.

I tried to call Stilwater Kicker, and HEMI and no one seemed to be able to tell me the new frequency range on the 77KICK18AB do you happen to know it? You were the only one that could help me with the factory amp when I asked about it!

Thanks again,

Paul

Ohhhhh and one more thing. I am thinking of 2 10 inch woofers in the rear deck with a fiberglass top to show in the rear deck. I saw one in a CLS Mercedes from a car audio mag I think it was August 05. Does anyone have any input or pics?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
always glad to help. I learned a lot on the site and just happy
to return what I have received...:)

I wish I knew what the range of the replacement amp was, but
it sounds like they fixed the phasing issues and raised the low
pass frequency based on your input.

As far as the rear deck, maybe wesexcellence has done
a project like that at one of his shops. He may know what
it takes for something like that. Anyone else?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Cool v I got the answer, and I was hoping you could tell me what the hell it means? LOL

OK

High Pass is set at 40Hz at 6 DB/Octave

Low Pass is 250 Hz at 12Db/Octave

I am going to drop in the 8" midbass Kickers like I had in my last C. Only thing I might try to cross them over a lil higher like 55-60 hz? Think I can just add a simple bass blocker to the back?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Hey Cool v I got the answer, and I was hoping you could tell me what the hell it means? LOL

OK

High Pass is set at 40Hz at 6 DB/Octave

Low Pass is 250 Hz at 12Db/Octave

I am going to drop in the 8" midbass Kickers like I had in my last C. Only thing I might try to cross them over a lil higher like 55-60 hz? Think I can just add a simple bass blocker to the back?
are you referring to the slope value they gave?

let me see if I can explain this the right way (anyone who has audio
knowledge chime in...).

assume a starting point of 0db, meaning the maximum measuring
point for a signal.

high pass 40hz 6db/oct means that crossover frequency is 40hz,
ie, the 3db down point. 6db/oct is given as the slope or how
steep the filter is. In this case the frequency and octave lower
will be decreased by the amount of the filter. In this case 20hz is
an octave lower, with 40hz being the -3db point, it means 20hz
will be -6db when compared to 40hz and -9db lower overall.

for 12db per octave the slope is a bit deeper, 250hz is the
3db down point of the filter and 500hz will be -12db when
compare to 250hz and -15db overall.

look at it this way:

a given signal measured at 0db (the loudest)

6db/octave
40hz high pass means 40hz will be -3db when compared to the 0db signal
20hz will be -6db compared to 40hz
10hz will be -6 compared to 20hz
and so on

12db/octave
250hz low pass means 250hz will be -3db when compared to the 0db signal
500hz will be -12db compared to 250hz
100hz will be -12db compared to 500hz
and so on

hope it helps...and anyone else feel free to chime in.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
a simple bass blocker may work, but sometimes have problems and
the slope will only be 6db/oct. But you can try it.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is the difference between the stock SRT amplifier and the 77KICK18?
THE DIFFERENCE IS HUGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

1. with my stock SRT Amp I could not hear the doors...

2. There was NO MIDBASS AT ALL

3. The rears were too loud

4. The stage was terrible, and it was way too high and too low, nothing inbetween.

5. The new amp is AWESOME I love the door speakers now, they are amazing!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks HEMI4ME

Been curious about this for a while. Appreciate the review.

Also love the Kappas, had them in one of my old cars. Might have to make some changes soon.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This change is a NO BRAINER, especially when you are talking $175 for the amp, and selling yours for $110

CHEAP

·
Registered
979 Posts
ok i assume this is an 8 channel. 3 powering the front 2 the doors and 2 the rear deck, does the 8th channel power a sub in the deck?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is an 8 channel, but for sure does not power the sub...

Not sure how they do it?

·
Registered
979 Posts
from a slight bit of research it appears the last channel will power the subwoofer in the deck if your car is equipped with it which is what i thought since this sub doesnt require its own amp

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Then I have an open channel?

The SRT comes with a small Kicker amp and a 10 inch box.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Great amp, installed it last night.

Very impressed with the surround sound.

It is definitely worth the money for a simple plug and play amplifier if you are staying with the stock system.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just got it installed today with the ipod integration kit. The amp is amazing. I'm not a sound or bass guy and I'm impressed to say the least. It sounds 300% better. I highly recommend it, worth everyh penny!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts