Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that the SRT8's have load leveling rear shocks, so this is my question. Can I just buy factory rear LX struts (non load leveling) and swap them in with lowering springs and be alright?

All the opinions on Coilovers/Air-ride aren't going to do much with me. I've had coilovers on two other cars and I never adjusted them (waste of money IMO if you're not going to dial it in), and Air-ride was fun... once. :fing02:

I'm going to lower it this week and just wanted to double-check on this somewhat NEWB question. :smashfrea

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hey, I have seen where people are selling lowering springs, and if you have the load leveling shocks they tell you to buy the standard rear shocks. From what I have seen, they are about 160 buck or so. You can probably find cheaper but this is what I found (because I was not really looking for the new shocks).

·
Registered
974 Posts
Also, now this may be a dumb question, but are the rear shocks load leveling on the 300 srt? I have only heard about these on the magnum and charger.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Pedders sell a lowering spring supposedly compatible with the novimat shocks in the rear of the SRT8. I havent got them myself so cannot report on how well they work. Might be worth looking in to though - let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I agree that coilovers are not worth it unless you plan on using them to their full abilities...let us know how the lowering turns out with the regular C shocks on the rear...thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
You do not have to change the rear self leveling shocks in an SRT8 when you lower it.

I have been driving mine lowered from the day I bought it with 40mm lowered springs. Absolutely no issues and no prolems at all. Seen the track at least 15 times at excessive speed also.

·
Registered
308 Posts
What springs are you running? You car sits nice.

·
Registered
308 Posts
What springs?

You do not have to change the rear self leveling shocks in an SRT8 when you lower it.

I have been driving mine lowered from the day I bought it with 40mm lowered springs. Absolutely no issues and no prolems at all. Seen the track at least 15 times at excessive speed also.
What springs are you running? You car sits nice...

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
What springs are you running? You car sits nice...
They are a locally produced spring here in Australia - KING SPRINGS. A few of the Aussie guys are running these. Never had a problem with them, sit great, ride awesome, and not that expensive either $350 fitted.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
You definitely can lower with self levelling shocks and I am not the only one either.

I have also given mine a hard time at times also and it has performed flawlessly. Would also like to know why it says it can't be done.

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You definitely can lower with self levelling shocks and I am not the only one either.

I have also given mine a hard time at times also and it has performed flawlessly. Would also like to know why it says it can't be done.
Taken from a long time forum member and creator of a set of LX coilovers:

All SRT-8's are self-levelling. All.

They support about 300 pounds each, so if you throw in a couple of adults, and maybe some golf bags in the trunk, the car will level itself.

Nivomats have internal motion activated pumps that seek a static shock length.

If the shock is shorter than the desired static length (loaded down car), then as you start driving the car down the road and the suspension moves up and down, the internal pump mechanism is activated and shifts pressure from one part of the shock to the other, thus raising the car.

Don't believe me?

1) Go measure your fender height

2) Load down the back of your car with a bunch of weight

3) Go for a 5 mile drive

4) Park, get out, measure your new ride height. It will be higher as soon as you take all the weight out, as it cannot now readjust until you drive it down the road again.

So now that your ride height is way up there, go for another drive without any weight, come back and repeat the measurement. You'll be back down to normal ride height.

Then, without moving the car, put all the people/weight back in the car and measure the ride height - it will sink. Once you drive some more with the weight in the car, the shocks rise back up again.

My confidence in this answer is 100% for all 2005, 2006, and 2007 SRT-8 Magnums, Chargers, and 300Cs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts