Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... Sorry, I searched, but I'm not finding anything that answers my question, so please forgive me if this has been covered before. Do the SRT8 models, specifically the 2008 and later cars, come with a LSD from the factory as standard equipment? If not, what are the options out there? I haven't had the car too long, and the couple of times I stomped on it back in the fall before I put it up for the year it fishtailed quite a bit leaving me wondering how it's equipped.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
6,769 Posts
I think I remember hearing that 08 and before do NOT have LSD. Options - maybe Getrag?

Certainly not my expertise - I'll defer to the guys that know. Just my two pennies.

EDIT: And you've only stomped on the SRT8 a couple of times????? What's wrong with you?!?!? :) j/k

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
Nope, the 08 is equipped with factory BLD, brake lock differential. This attempts to equalize rear wheel speeds, but no posi until 09.

Note that even the Getrag units are experiencing clutch failures. If you're not drag racing with drag radial/slicks you'll be fine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahhh... the somewhat interesting but totally useless BLD. My Caliber SRT4 has that and I hate it. What a pain in the tush! All it does is ruin brake rotors and make the car lurch violently from side-to-side. About how much are the Getrag conversions going for just out of curiosity and who has them?

·
Registered
169 Posts
People are saying good things about the Wavetrac units. I believe you can even just bolt on your exiting gears, so a bit of a savings there if you aren't looking for more gear.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Ahhh... the somewhat interesting but totally useless BLD. My Caliber SRT4 has that and I hate it. What a pain in the tush! All it does is ruin brake rotors and make the car lurch violently from side-to-side. About how much are the Getrag conversions going for just out of curiosity and who has them?
ya the caliber srt4 defently has much more trq steer than the neon srt4..ive owned the neon and driving the caliber and i was like wtf is this hahaha

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Plus, I didn't think it was possible to be less cool than a souped up neon (I want one anyway, at least stage 2!!), but caliber? Really??? That's like the SRT version of the xB!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know where you go to get the Level Five halfshafts? I'm planning on starting my upgrades with the Quaife differential, beefed up halfshafts and beefier hubs. Any info would be helpful. I found the Quaife differential for about $900.00 on several sites, but so far am not turning up anything on the shafts or hubs.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
The 2008 will still be the 215 mm axles. Those level 5 halfshafts are expensive, that and the Quaife would be good because even if the Quaife breaks - which they do - they come with a lifetime replacement warranty. Your other option would be to go with the full '09 Getrag rear end with the 226 mm axles and LSD from the Challenger. They sell the full kit at Mopar supercenter online. I think it's over $2 grand, but it all bolts in. The quaife and $$$ halfshafts are probably about the same but install on all that puts you in about the same place.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
Just a small correction.

The millimeters we use in describing rear end gears refers to the diameter of the ring gear. Not axles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The 2008 will still be the 215 mm axles. Those level 5 halfshafts are expensive, that and the Quaife would be good because even if the Quaife breaks - which they do - they come with a lifetime replacement warranty. Your other option would be to go with the full '09 Getrag rear end with the 226 mm axles and LSD from the Challenger. They sell the full kit at Mopar supercenter online. I think it's over $2 grand, but it all bolts in. The quaife and $$$ halfshafts are probably about the same but install on all that puts you in about the same place.
I don't plan on breaking any differentials. I'm not a drag racer. I just want to be able to stomp on it and not break the tires free or have that pathetic BLD kick in and jerk the car side-to-side. As for the Getrag setup, nice, but too expensive for what this car is going to be doing. If I was a serious racer I'd go with it, but if I ever take this car to the track it will be for a quick thrill and to satisfy my curiosity with respect to how I can drive it and what it can do. Thanks for the feedback though.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
Steve - thanks for the correction, and note, the BLD will not cause our cars to jump side to side at all like it apparently does on a front driver...

I'm just saying that the Getrag swap will cost pretty close to the same as the Quiafe and halfshafts, and also note that a lot of casual drivers like yourself are running Prochargers and Vortechs at basic boost levels without the drivetrain builds and do just fine. Food for thought...

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
yep, the basics are very strong.

Bottom line is if you are street only and run normal street tires you should have no troubles.

It's when you hook up that things always start breaking!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I misstated by describing the car as one would a FWD car, but when I have opened it up off the line it does fishtail somewhat as it tries to hook-up. I do want to do the Quaife and the beefed up half-shafts. It's really not that much of an investment in making the car all that much better.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
If your car wants to fishtail as is, it will only do it worse when you add a LSD differential.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts