Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this link: eBay Motors: Spare Tire and Jack for Charger SRT8, 300 SRT8 Magnum (item 230272595778 end time Jul-22-08 17:27:44 PDT)

Anyone else figure out the magic wheel to use for a spare? If you look at this pic, it doesn't appear that the trunk was rearranged at all. It looks like it's just the right size wheel to clear the caliper, with the right size tire to fit next to the battery. I would love to do this, but a spare tire and jack for nearly $500 doesn't scream at me as a good deal.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'd find out for sure if it will fit the front tire. There are 18" that will only fit the rear and if you get a front flat you have to switch a rear to the front and then put the spare on. I bought a full size spear for $350 and a 3 ton low profile jack. I just throw it in the trunk when I got out of town

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd find out for sure if it will fit the front tire. There are 18" that will only fit the rear and if you get a front flat you have to switch a rear to the front and then put the spare on. I bought a full size spear for $350 and a 3 ton low profile jack. I just throw it in the trunk when I got out of town
The picture in the ad shows it mounted on the front of an SRT Charger. The full size spare is ok, but I would prefer to have a spare at all times while maintaining my trunk space. I'm not completely past that as an option though...

·
Registered
683 Posts
well if it fits on the front then it is interesting. $500 is a little steep for a steel rim and little tire and a $30 jack. plus you have to pay for shipping.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well if it fits on the front then it is interesting. $500 is a little steep for a steel rim and little tire and a $30 jack. plus you have to pay for shipping.

My thoughts exactly. That's why I'm wondering about the size and brand of the steel wheel in particular...The rest is simple enough.

·
Registered
683 Posts
well you need an 18" tire with a 5x115 bolt pattern and it needs to have an offset of +18 for a flat face or +21-23 for a curved face. I'd maybe make a call to a tire shop or you mechanic and see if they can locate one for you

·
Registered
683 Posts
nope, and the places I go there aren't many people or towns for that matter so I'd rather have a full size spare because I could be going 500 miles on the spare.

·
Registered
903 Posts
There's a discussion thread on this forum where a guy fits a full SRT size tire in the trunk where a spare should go. It takes a little cutting and pounding, but the total cost is probably about the same as buying this little donut.

·
Registered
683 Posts
There's a discussion thread on this forum where a guy fits a full SRT size tire in the trunk where a spare should go. It takes a little cutting and pounding, but the total cost is probably about the same as buying this little donut.
yeah but then you still have to pay for a full size spare and a jack so you are looking at close to $1000 for all of it

·
Registered
903 Posts
I've seen plenty of srt rims and tires for $200-$250 with 50% or more tread and maybe a little curb rash (fine for a spare). I'm pretty sure they use the jack for the regular 300c which would be cheap enough at a wrecking yard or on ebay. I bet you could find a body shop to do the little cutting and pounding needed for $200.

·
Registered
371 Posts
yeah there was a thread on this awhile back not quite sure but I think its a VW spare or somthing like that wiht a custom spacer made thats why its so expensive...

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've seen plenty of srt rims and tires for $200-$250 with 50% or more tread and maybe a little curb rash (fine for a spare). I'm pretty sure they use the jack for the regular 300c which would be cheap enough at a wrecking yard or on ebay. I bet you could find a body shop to do the little cutting and pounding needed for $200.
My understanding is a regular 300c jack may not work. It is possible that the SRT sits too low to get the jack under the car. I guess you could carry around some two by fours to drive up on and then use the jack.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I bought a 1.5 ton scissor jack from Autozone and after a while I couldn't turn the screw any more and other people had it bend on them. I went back and bought their low profile 3 ton floor jack. It's pretty small and light and fits nicely in the corner of my trunk or you can put it in the boot if you cut or remove the foam.

·
Registered
14,781 Posts
One of the unsettling deletions on the previous 300SRT8 was the full sized spare tire. I purchased a full sized tire for those just in case moments. Now that I have a Challenger it too doesn’t come with a spare so I guess the full sized spare I had before will fit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts