Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
qictrk said:
Thanks 3SRT4ME. Cecil.........
You bet. Have you located a 180 degree thermostat, presuming that is what you are after? I understand Mopar performance makes one as does Evans Cooling, among others. I have not confirmed that either of the named manufacturers make one that is compatible with our 8's though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,071 Posts
OH GAWD! Not this again.


Listen, swapping your thermo does nothing to cool the car. That's what your fans and radiator do.

At 180 vs. the 195 it will take you car longer to heat up and that doesn't serve any purpose. The only other thing the thermostat controls is flow capacity which is important but that doesn't have anything to do with the temp rating (if I'm not mistaken.)

I used to think the 180 would be alright so long as you could do a fan mod which is what the GSM mod looks like it will do. However, I'm convinced the SRT-8 is engineered to perform best around 195-210.

I'm sticking to this theory until somebody can show me more power produced on a dyno at 180-185 vs. 195-200.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
vvv90 said:
OH GAWD! Not this again.


Listen, swapping your thermo does nothing to cool the car. That's what your fans and radiator do.

At 180 vs. the 195 it will take you car longer to heat up and that doesn't serve any purpose. The only other thing the thermostat controls is flow capacity which is important but that doesn't have anything to do with the temp rating (if I'm not mistaken.)

I used to think the 180 would be alright so long as you could do a fan mod which is what the GSM mod looks like it will do. However, I'm convinced the SRT-8 is engineered to perform best around 195-210.

I'm sticking to this theory until somebody can show me more power produced on a dyno at 180-185 vs. 195-200.
I partially agree
If you can run @ 180 and advance the timing a couple of extra degrees at low-mid rpm's with some added fuel (hence more tq) this is where having a 180 degree thermo may help. Otherwise you're probably correct on the 195.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,071 Posts
QuikSilver said:
I partially agree
If you can run @ 180 and advance the timing a couple of extra degrees at low-mid rpm's with some added fuel (hence more tq) this is where having a 180 degree thermo may help. Otherwise you're probably correct on the 195.

Hold on there...

Let's not take what I said out of context. I said "The SRT-8 is engineered to perform best at 195-210 degrees." That doesn't mean programming your own EFI maps and timing curves....

....of which you cannot do anything about currently until someone hacks the ECM.

My Vette is tuned to run at 185 degrees since modified.....Bone stock it was programmed to run 210-235 degrees and did it efficiently....So I know where you're going with your point but it's not worth mentioning until someone can edit their EFI and I should have mentioned that initially.

Let's admit it....Most people WON'T tune their own EFI. They're looking for a quick "drop in" thermo to give them power and that's who I'm aiming my comments at.

It won't!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
qictrk said:
I'm putting on the Jet Chip and the override switch from GSM. I had the impression that the 180 would help with these two changes. Maybe not, I'll have to check with GSM. Cecil............
Do post what you learn regarding this combo would you, thx.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,071 Posts
qictrk said:
I'm putting on the Jet Chip and the override switch from GSM. I had the impression that the 180 would help with these two changes. Maybe not, I'll have to check with GSM. Cecil............

OF COURSE GSM is going to tell you to do it. They're in the business of making money selling their mods. :D

Depending on the different Jet Chip stages I'm pretty sure it's engineered to perform well under factory set operating temperatures. Changing the operating temp down to 180 might be adverse to tune (if you can call it that) that the chip is trying to achieve....I don't know....It's always been a mystery to me as to what the Jet Chip does with regard to sensor output/ECM input.

Personally I don't trust it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Thermostat 180

The item you need for a 180 thermostat is jet thermostat 10183. It is the one for the 6.1 and 5.7L Hemis.

Did a search on Google for it: jet thermostat 10183
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
Doesn't the rich condition at 180degrees (warm-up mode) add hp at the dragstrip and degrade piston rings and the cat if driven around continously?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
903 Posts
OH GAWD! Not this again.


Listen, swapping your thermo does nothing to cool the car. That's what your fans and radiator do.

At 180 vs. the 195 it will take you car longer to heat up and that doesn't serve any purpose. The only other thing the thermostat controls is flow capacity which is important but that doesn't have anything to do with the temp rating (if I'm not mistaken.)

I used to think the 180 would be alright so long as you could do a fan mod which is what the GSM mod looks like it will do. However, I'm convinced the SRT-8 is engineered to perform best around 195-210.

I'm sticking to this theory until somebody can show me more power produced on a dyno at 180-185 vs. 195-200.
There are quite a few dynos sheets on this forum with and without heat soak(205+)...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,252 Posts
and...

and don't miss that it is NOT a 195, it's really a 203!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,071 Posts
There are quite a few dynos sheets on this forum with and without heat soak(205+)...

Yeah now there are....There certainly weren't 1.5 years ago when I said that. ;)


I still have yet to see anyone keep their 6.1 below 205 without going with both a fan mod and thermostat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
903 Posts
Yeah now there are....There certainly weren't 1.5 years ago when I said that. ;)
Sorry man, I dont know how I missed that your post was over a year old. :pat:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
Yeah now there are....There certainly weren't 1.5 years ago when I said that. ;)


I still have yet to see anyone keep their 6.1 below 205 without going with both a fan mod and thermostat.
Cycling the car on and off in the staging lanes is one way.

It's a 195 degree thermostat, right? Cruising on the Hwy it sits at 195 degrees in 60 degree weather...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,071 Posts
Cycling the car on and off in the staging lanes is one way.
Not where I go. You're constantly moving around. The times I was able to shut the car off however the temperature stayed at 210+ or went up which makes sense because if the coolant isn't moving it can't cool. I've been wanting to try icing the manifold because that seems to be very worthwhile for better times.

It's a 195 degree thermostat, right? Cruising on the Hwy it sits at 195 degrees in 60 degree weather...
It's a 203.

Mine does stay below 200 in cooler weather on a good highway clip too, but that's a lot different than being at a dyno or sitting at the staging lane.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top