Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep I'm comparing the SRT8 against the 12 cylinder short wheelbase BMW 760i. They're both 4 door sedans with roughly equivalent power and specs. On that basis this was the closest comparison I could come up with. Benzes tend to have shorter wheelbase and more body length, and there isn't a Benz engine that's easily comparable to the 6.1 Hemi.

In each category below the first number applies to the CSRT8, the second to the 760i. Data from edmunds.com:

Doors / seating: 4/5 for each
Displacement 6.1L, 6.0L both naturally aspirated
Max Power hp : 425 @ 6000, 438 @ 6000
Max Torque ft-lbs: 420 @ 4800, 444 @ 3950
Wheel diameter inches: 20, 20
Length 197, 198
Width 74, 75
Height 58, 59
Wheelbase 120, 118
MSRP: 40000, 110000 including free maintenance 4 years / 50000 miles.

Has anyone driven both an SRT8 and the 760i?

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
artichoke said:
Yep I'm comparing the SRT8 against the 12 cylinder short wheelbase BMW 760i. They're both 4 door sedans with roughly equivalent power and specs. On that basis this was the closest comparison I could come up with. Benzes tend to have shorter wheelbase and more body length, and there isn't a Benz engine that's easily comparable to the 6.1 Hemi.

In each category below the first number applies to the CSRT8, the second to the 760i. Data from edmunds.com:

Doors / seating: 4/5 for each
Displacement 6.1L, 6.0L both naturally aspirated
Max Power hp : 425 @ 6000, 438 @ 6000
Max Torque ft-lbs: 420 @ 4800, 444 @ 3950
Wheel diameter inches: 20, 20
Length 197, 198
Width 74, 75
Height 58, 59
Wheelbase 120, 118
MSRP: 40000, 110000 including free maintenance 4 years / 50000 miles.

Has anyone driven both an SRT8 and the 760i?
Well, I have not driven the new 760i, but I did see both a 300 SRT and a 760i side by side at a stoplight. I have to say, the 300 SRT would be my pick. The stance and beauty was delightfully better that the 760. We all know the price difference:)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Bimmer huh

Croozer said:
Give me the bimmer any day.
I noticed you say "Give me the Bimmer anyday",, ya wouldn't pay that much though huh? Ya have to admit for the price the 300 SRT8 is a Awesome bargain. It's no twin turbo Vetter, yet a Great Luxury Performance Vehicle at a Great price.

They don't do twin turbo's for the 6.1 Hemi due to lack of Tuneability, once that's ready, all power adders are going to go crazy on the SRT8 scene.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I haven't driven the 760i, but I did race one.:naughty: It's fast, but the SRT8 is faster!:biggrin:
I did get a chance to drive the Mercedes S600 a couple years ago. It's pretty damn luxurious and fast. Plus, it's a bi-turbo V-12! Gotta love that. If I had unlimited funds I would take an S65 or CLS65.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nobody said the 300C is not a nice car, but comparing it to a $111,500 BMW 760i,c'mon lets get real for a second.
If ya beat a 760i just remember that german super sedans are speed limited to 155 mph, now if you take that car over to Dinan's and get the limiter taken off its bye bye.
http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/7/760iSedan

·
Registered
507 Posts
Croozer said:
Nobody said the 300C is not a nice car, but comparing it to a BMW 760,c'mon lets get real for a second.
:pat:
Nah, I prefer comparing it to the Veyron or Bentley Continental GT. I mean it has two extra doors and enough trunk space for 10 bodies!:wall::twak:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Interesting comparison

Remember I bought an SRT8 so I voted with my money, and I could have considered a used 12V Beemer if money was the limiting factor - which it wasn't.

That said the V12 BMW engine is a masterpiece, and so civilized - like a Swiss watch and classical music. Rolls Royce have been using it's basic 'architecture' in their BMW V12 powered cars for a number of years.

In contrast the Hemi is much closer in power delivery to "football team" Rock and Roll, and Heavy Metal, albeit in a Tuxedo.

Would I swap engines if It did not cost me anything? - no. I would miss the raw power delivery of the Hemi. Remember too AMG engineers did the once over on the 6.1 engine so it's not exactly a mutt.

While the BMW has some stated extra features over the SRT8, they are just not $100,000 plus price point extra value. Unless that value is to use the BMW name as a club to mentally beat people in social interactions (little man syndrome). Really though, if you want to do that, you should be in a Bentley or a ..............

Zilla

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'd take the Bimmer to, then trade it in for 2 SRT8's, bring one to Hennessey & take it easy on the other one.

now thats a comparison:

Doors / seating: 8/10 vs. 4/5
Displacement 12.2L vs. 6.0L
Max Power hp : around 1000 vs. 438
Max Torque ft-lbs: ??? vs. 444 @ 3950
MSRP: around the same

·
Registered
625 Posts
Real World

I looked at the 745Li (85k sticker) and the 760i (118k sticker) before ordering my 300C SRT-8 (48k sticker). I might have chosen the 760 IF they were priced the same. Pay 70k more for a 760?

Never happen.

Dan

·
Registered
179 Posts
Having Owned Both

(a 745Li, and now a 300C srt8), it is not exactly an apples to apples.

Both incredible cars in many ways but so different.

similarities:
4 door sedans with nice size
incredible engine power
lots of luxury items
amzing to drive

Differences:
BMW is a best in class ride quality, SRT8 is ok but a bit stiff
BMW handles corners very well, SRT8 nails em
BMW is amazing quiet, SRT8 not so much
SRT8 is raw power yoou can hear, BMW is toned down rocket power-quiet
BMW has features you can't even believe- massaging seats, the best factory stereo you will ever hear(13 speakers and a subwoofer built in), voice command of everthing, heated and cooled seats , and many other things you would not believe ( like the ability to move the heat in seats to diffferent areas, or the ability to have your car get cabin to a desired temp, at a specified time..say its 90 out and you leave work at 5pm, you can program the car to cool to 69 at 4:50pm, and many others)
PRICE!

I love them both...SRT8 is bigger value, but BMW is definitely more car.

If you can afford a 760, it is considered by many in europe to be the best all around car (passenger car) in the world, and if you drive one you may agree.

for those who have never driven one, it is just a feeling that can't be described in words..especially the sterring and chassis, as to how they connect the driver to the road.

Hope this helps..

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
beemers are tuff

no doubt that Bimmer is tough. All their cars are finely engineered. They seem to be having issues with their build quality though. Lots of unhappy owners complaining about problems. Just like our forum!

I would be tempted but I can't see the value. No one left to impress. Don't use my car for anyone but me. Like having a real V8. LOVE the fact that most people still don't know what this car is.

I guess I voted with my dollar, too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
BMw not the best thing since sliced bread....

SRT8/BMW said:
(a 745Li, and now a 300C srt8), it is not exactly an apples to apples.

Both incredible cars in many ways but so different.

similarities:
4 door sedans with nice size
incredible engine power
lots of luxury items
amzing to drive

Differences:
BMW is a best in class ride quality, SRT8 is ok but a bit stiff
BMW handles corners very well, SRT8 nails em
BMW is amazing quiet, SRT8 not so much
SRT8 is raw power yoou can hear, BMW is toned down rocket power-quiet
BMW has features you can't even believe- massaging seats, the best factory stereo you will ever hear(13 speakers and a subwoofer built in), voice command of everthing, heated and cooled seats , and many other things you would not believe ( like the ability to move the heat in seats to diffferent areas, or the ability to have your car get cabin to a desired temp, at a specified time..say its 90 out and you leave work at 5pm, you can program the car to cool to 69 at 4:50pm, and many others)
PRICE!

I love them both...SRT8 is bigger value, but BMW is definitely more car.

If you can afford a 760, it is considered by many in europe to be the best all around car (passenger car) in the world, and if you drive one you may agree.

for those who have never driven one, it is just a feeling that can't be described in words..especially the sterring and chassis, as to how they connect the driver to the road.

Hope this helps..

I had to comment on this, I owned a 528 and a 540 for many years, yes German engineering is nice in ride control and all that, yea the wood/leather interior is nice but beyond that... the cooling system smells like wet dog in the summer, the auto cool temp timer only circulates the air so it will exchange 110 degree inside air for 80 degree out side air but that is it, it does circulate heated air for 15 minutes if you go into a store inthe winter it is nice..unless you have a weak battery. I had a "normal " engine knock at start up after 40K. I had the upgraded sound system, its was a reverb set up that sounded like a echo chamber, I think my old mans 1965 Pontiac had a switch just like it. THe pricks in the service area well like I said....

And God forbid if you wanted to modify the thing...

I think every car guy should try a German car once in there life, just like a vette should be on the list, but the combo benz/SRT engineering is the best of both worlds.

PS Chris Bangles needs a job at Daewoo:twak:

·
Registered
709 Posts
If you ever had the chance to live in Germany for a little while. They are not so impressive. Hell... Only the limited vehicle builds are.

You see mercedes as Taxis, and it blows your mind. Everyone and thier grandmother drives BMW's, Merc's, and Audi's. Just not something for me. (being from the Detriot area).

The New 300's. Still fairly new on the Block. You will get the head turns EVERYWHERE in the world. Germany they don't give BMW's a second look. The 300... EVERYTIME.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Ahbizmal said:
If you ever had the chance to live in Germany for a little while. They are not so impressive. Hell... Only the limited vehicle builds are.

You see mercedes as Taxis, and it blows your mind. Everyone and thier grandmother drives BMW's, Merc's, and Audi's. Just not something for me. (being from the Detriot area).

The New 300's. Still fairly new on the Block. You will get the head turns EVERYWHERE in the world. Germany they don't give BMW's a second look. The 300... EVERYTIME.
Hehe, I'm glad they're still rare for you in that part of the world. Here in the US they use the Chrysler 300 as a taxi, in Las Vegas that is.

·
Registered
507 Posts
70gto said:
I had to comment on this, I owned a 528 and a 540 for many years, yes German engineering is nice in ride control and all that, yea the wood/leather interior is nice but beyond that... the cooling system smells like wet dog in the summer, the auto cool temp timer only circulates the air so it will exchange 110 degree inside air for 80 degree out side air but that is it, it does circulate heated air for 15 minutes if you go into a store inthe winter it is nice..unless you have a weak battery. I had a "normal " engine knock at start up after 40K. I had the upgraded sound system, its was a reverb set up that sounded like a echo chamber, I think my old mans 1965 Pontiac had a switch just like it. THe pricks in the service area well like I said....
Sheesh, I never had any problems like that on my 330ci. It was great until the day I traded it in for the SRT8. But the only things I miss are the superior Xenon headlights and a manual shift mode that will still shift to the next gear when you hit redline.

·
Registered
179 Posts
To Each His Own

Everyone has their opinion. I put 40,000 miles on the BMW and never had a hitch...flawless.

I have 22000 on my srt8...and the exception of the Brake squeel, which has been fixed, no problems either.

as for "turning heads"...who knows. In the detroit area nothing turns heads..certainly not the BMW or the srt8.

two great cars....srt8 probably more fun...but that bimmer was in a league by itself. No bias here..my next might be the new sts-v, or m5, or even gc srt8...let you know in about 6 months.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Who cares about turning heads?
I purchase, build, and drive cars for my own enjoyment.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
I'D TAKE THE 760 NO DOUBT!!!!

Then I'd sell it, buy an SRT-8 and take the ~$60,000 difference (not including depreciation) and buy a C6 Z06 Vette.

·
Registered
299 Posts
You see Croozer, that's why I left the midwest (Born and lived in Chicago for 22 years) because of your truely warped way of looking at things (cars for enjoyment only????). Come on dude, get your values in line! No man, just messing with you, I hear ya. Traded in my BMW for this monster, both of them are wonderfully enjoyable cars, just for different reasons. Stay safe, can't say I miss the winter driving!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts