Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
14,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are future collectible cars displayed at the Chicago Auto Show?

You can almost count on it, and we're not referring to $200,000-plus exotics such as Ferraris.

DaimlerChrysler has three sporty cars offered with a 425-horsepower Chrysler Hemi V-8, so one can fairly safely project strong appeal for them years from now.

That's a perspective of the collectible car market. Here are some likely future collectible cars displayed at the auto show, with their list prices...Check full story here

Rambit
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
Rambit said:
Are future collectible cars displayed at the Chicago Auto Show?

You can almost count on it, and we're not referring to $200,000-plus exotics such as Ferraris.

DaimlerChrysler has three sporty cars offered with a 425-horsepower Chrysler Hemi V-8, so one can fairly safely project strong appeal for them years from now.

That's a perspective of the collectible car market. Here are some likely future collectible cars displayed at the auto show, with their list prices...Check full story here

Rambit

This is all an 'it depends' scenario. I mean, it depends on:

-if many of the cars are destroyed, etc. (as was the case with the NOW rare '60's-'70's muscle cars and prior) thus reducing supply
-if there develops the 'nostalgia' feel for this car and era as has happened with other 'classics'
-etc.
-etc.
-etc.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34 Posts
It's always a "Supply & Demand" issue, when dealing in ANY collectibles field.

I have a fairly decent Comic Book collection these days (and still collect today as strong as ever) so i deal with this stuff constantly (supply, demand, rarity, pricing ect...). Something can be VERY "rare" in numbers and production, but simply have zero demand following it, so..it's basically worthless :pat:

I think this car has a VERY good shot at long term collectibility...but may take some time getting there. This given, most 300 CSRT 8's will likely be preserved in fairly good condition by their owners. Unlike years past, preservation methods and materials exist today that didn't in days lomg past. Even as short back as 10 years ago top end resto materials weren't as solid an option as today :puppy_dog ...so essentially, more top grade copies, means LESS top end dollars towards immaculate examples.

Just my worthless opinion :wall:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
14,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Village Idiot! said:
It's always a "Supply & Demand" issue, when dealing in ANY collectibles field.

I have a fairly decent Comic Book collection these days (and still collect today as strong as ever) so i deal with this stuff constantly (supply, demand, rarity, pricing ect...). Something can be VERY "rare" in numbers and production, but simply have zero demand following it, so..it's basically worthless :pat:

I think this car has a VERY good shot at long term collectibility...but may take some time getting there. This given, most 300 CSRT 8's will likely be preserved in fairly good condition by their owners. Unlike years past, preservation methods and materials exist today that didn't in days lomg past. Even as short back as 10 years ago top end resto materials weren't as solid an option as today :puppy_dog ...so essentially, more top grade copies, means LESS top end dollars towards immaculate examples.

Just my worthless opinion :wall:
Not worthless at all. Makes perfect sense. Anything is valuable ONLY to someone who wants it.

Rambit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
You never really know. Exotics have been extremely up and down. I think only the rarest cars will be truly collectible.

But, just in case, I'm keeping the miles down on my garaged '04 CTS-V. I'm optimistic since it was the first of Caddy's V series. '05 was also the last year of GM running its fabled 5.7L. So we'll see. But it's a crapshoot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,719 Posts
Cars were a much bigger part of American culture from 1920 to the late '60s. Cars changed the American landscape during this time, interstate highways, hotels, vacations, etc. Cars as part of our culture don't have the same impact today. All the baby boomers paying big $$ for cars they loved as a kid or that thier dad or grand father had will be dead by the time the SRT8 is a possible collectable. What young people today will long for today's cars in 30 years? They are too busy listening to Pearl Jam, playing with thier X Box, or downloading thier ipods to concern themselves with cars. As great as some of todays cars are, the culture is different and IMO there will be few buyers willing to pay big $$ for todays cars in 30-40 years.

On a seperate note, with very few exceptions, every car sold for major $$ at B-J was a two door. There was an odd Lincoln or Packard sedan here or there but I think every car in the top 20 (except that incredible Futureliner) and 95% were coupes, I seriously doubt the SRT8 will be any different in years to come, it's still a sedan.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,678 Posts
They Are Producing Toooo Many Of These Cars! I Live In Toronto Canada About Half Hour From The Plant Where They Make Them. I Spoke To The Owners Son Where I Bought My 300, He Sold The Car To Me I July 2005. He Told Me That The Plant Is So Far Behind,[ Could Only Make 1000 Cars A Day.] There Is 8o,ooo On Back Order In The States Alone! This Was In Jan. 06. Believe It Or Not It's True!!!!! I Bought Mine When Thry Were Promoting The Employee Price Discount Sale And "wow" What A Deal I Got!!!!anyways If I Wanted A O6 I Would Have To Wait 4 Months At That Time, With The Options I Wanted. I Had A Hard On That Time So I Got A 05 Instead, I Didn't Get The Options I Wanted. But Eh. Life Goes On!!!! I Was Also Limited In Colour Too. The Money I Saved Spending On Mods!!!!!! Yeah!!!!!!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
14,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DUBSTER said:
They Are Producing Toooo Many Of These Cars! I Live In Toronto Canada About Half Hour From The Plant Where They Make Them. I Spoke To The Owners Son Where I Bought My 300, He Sold The Car To Me I July 2005. He Told Me That The Plant Is So Far Behind,[ Could Only Make 1000 Cars A Day.] There Is 8o,ooo On Back Order In The States Alone! This Was In Jan. 06. Believe It Or Not It's True!!!!! I Bought Mine When Thry Were Promoting The Employee Price Discount Sale And "wow" What A Deal I Got!!!!anyways If I Wanted A O6 I Would Have To Wait 4 Months At That Time, With The Options I Wanted. I Had A Hard On That Time So I Got A 05 Instead, I Didn't Get The Options I Wanted. But Eh. Life Goes On!!!! I Was Also Limited In Colour Too. The Money I Saved Spending On Mods!!!!!! Yeah!!!!!!
Don't know if that's the case or not, but they're not working weekends anymore. Also they're not building near as many 5.7's or 6.1's either.

Rambit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
They make too many of these cars to be truley collectable, not to mention since the 80's, alot of rare cars were bought as collector vehicles, so the cat is out of the bag. Its like baseball card collecting, pre 1987 cards are worth something because they were not as collectable, then everyone started collecting them and they were not worth anything.MAybe if the government stepped in and ended the new muscle car race and they stopped making cars like these they would be worth something, but I don't see that happening. I wonder how many people thought a ZR-1 or an 01 Z06 would be collectable?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
781 Posts
GNSCOTT said:
They make too many of these cars to be truley collectable, not to mention since the 80's, alot of rare cars were bought as collector vehicles, so the cat is out of the bag. Its like baseball card collecting, pre 1987 cards are worth something because they were not as collectable, then everyone started collecting them and they were not worth anything.MAybe if the government stepped in and ended the new muscle car race and they stopped making cars like these they would be worth something, but I don't see that happening. I wonder how many people thought a ZR-1 or an 01 Z06 would be collectable?



Count on me to beat this horse some more! GN makes some great points.
All the 300Cs will be "collectable", but that doesn't mean someone is going to cash in on tomorrow's equivalent of today's "crazy hemi money". MAYBE the '05 SRT-8s will bring a big premium and the SRT-8 models will be worth a few bucks. Even the 300Cs will probably be collected, but it's probably going to be another 20+ years before you see these as collector vehicles. When the ZR-1 came out, I saw that as a collectable of the future. So did a lot of other people and there were a few cars put away in plastic bags to make a killing in the future. Right now, they aren't selling for a ton of money and it doesn't look like they were such a great investment. Like I've said a few times when these threads come up, drive and enjoy your car now. Maybe it will be worth a few bucks to your kids when you're dead, but why let them have all the fun?

Rick
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34 Posts
My opinion regarding those members who bring up the 4-door "Sedan" factor of collectibility, is the following...

Do not forget that we are living at the start of the "Super Sedan" era. It is a HUGELY profitable market for most auto makers, and a growing one at that. Do not under estimate a strong future of desirability for the 300C SRT 8, and it's pure "muscle car" lineage.

Also, it's social, and retro significance (ie. Hip Hop culture, inate expensive sedan heritage, HEMI background, et al ) historically, the car will have a built in history, that will help immensely.

Ya never know with these things, as so many guys have pointed out. Yet, the "basics" for what makes a collectible car, collectible...long term, are fortunately built in with this vehicle, perspective is what's needed :headbang:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
Village Idiot! said:
Do not forget that we are living at the start of the "Super Sedan" era.
I think you might be right. If manufacturers are able to continue to get a big premium for their top-line sedans, that will give support to the used car market.

There's also the matter of comparable cars. They could trend closer in price on the used market to cars that are comparable on performance rather than price when new, for example the Benz S or S-AMG sedans, or the BMW 760i .

I don't expect my car to be worth $40,000 in 10 years. But I think these cars will always be regarded as nice and desirable, because they currently provide an unbeatable all-round ownership experience that others will also want to enjoy. So they'll have some price premium and easy resale on that account.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts
Alot of future collectibility has to do with current unfulfilled desire. How many desire SRT8s now, but can't have one for a variety of reasons: financial and many more.

20-30 years from now when some have much better cash situations; they may finally get to scratch that particular itch. If there are enough competing for that same pleasure; they pay through the nose for it.

The amount of cars sold now, or current order fullfillment, and over/under production, do not have the total hold on the future market. Unseen forces of unfullfilled desire count for a lot.


Zilla
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
2 points:

First: Most collectables become so due to production numbers. If you want a SRT8 that fits the bill, the Magnum SRT8 and the Grand Cherokee SRT8 appear to be the only ones that may fit(GC SRT8 production may continue to grow, though, so it may go beyond as well). The 300C SRT8s are everywhere and well over 5000 produced so far and probably another 2K to come this year alone......

2nd point: There won't be any gas in 20 years to power these monsters, so enjoy them now. :D :D

Todd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts
I think they'll have to make a "woody" version of the Magnum SRT8 wagon for it to be a collectible :biggrin:








Zilla
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
14,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you notice how many times they stressed "Radio Delete" on the last Barrett-Jackson auction as if it had collectability importance? Maybe that's the key to it all. The true collector cars are the ones that were ordered with no options like FreebirdSRT and a couple of others here.

Rambit
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,957 Posts
WhiteDiamond said:
2 points:

First: Most collectables become so due to production numbers. If you want a SRT8 that fits the bill, the Magnum SRT8 and the Grand Cherokee SRT8 appear to be the only ones that may fit(GC SRT8 production may continue to grow, though, so it may go beyond as well). The 300C SRT8s are everywhere and well over 5000 produced so far and probably another 2K to come this year alone......

2nd point: There won't be any gas in 20 years to power these monsters, so enjoy them now. :D :D

Todd
No gas in twenty years? :bs2: You should know better, living in Texas. This gas thing is a huge misnomer. Do not let this fake market fool you. Notice the price per barrel has gone down $10 in the last week? Hmmm, maybe the hurricanes stopped:bs2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
Rambit said:
Did you notice how many times they stressed "Radio Delete" on the last Barrett-Jackson auction as if it had collectability importance? Maybe that's the key to it all. The true collector cars are the ones that were ordered with no options like FreebirdSRT and a couple of others here.
Rambit
That's sure not why I got a "strippo". It was to save money!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
They could be collectible but only if we have another "Perfect Storm" Of Fuel Shortage, Emissions Rules, and Insurance regulations that kill off high horsepower. The reason that high horsepower Cudas and Challengers are in such demand is that they stopped production after only two years in 70-72 . After that the regulations killed performance cars. Absent any such armageddon of regulations we will hopefully be looking at 600hp SRT's by 2010. If that happens I will blissfully trade in my SRT 8 for a loss instead of taking it to Barret Jackson.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
823 Posts
Rarity has not too much to do w/collectibility.

Desirability...yes.

They made hundreds and hundreds of thousands of '55-'57 Chevys. Made far less Buicks and Pontiacs of the same era. Guess which ones are more "collectibile"?

Ditto '67-'69 Camaros. Less Firebirds were made, but who wants a Firebird?

Mustangs....made tons of them. Any '67-'69 Cougar getting the same coin as the Mustangs?

True, the one in 14 Hemi 'Cuda convertible is definitely a money maker, but a one of one Coronet Hemi Convertible will fetch far less dollars.

VERY VERY low mileage, original, intact SRT8s MAY hold its value 20 years from now, but what's the point? You've just spent thousands of dollars just so it can sit in a garage and you didn't get to enjoy it!

20-40 years from now, big thirsty V8s will probably be not as collectible as you think. Not to mention all the damn emission controls and electronic do-dads will make it VERY HARD to keep these running or restorable that far down the road.

I can see e-bay now 20 years from now: "NOS still in the wrapper electronic stability control solenoid for Chrylser 300c SRT8...$5,000".
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top