Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SRT8 Jeeps use same transfer case design,and they are staggered from the factory. Can we do So?

·
Administrator
13,064 Posts
SRT8 jeeps are AWD. The first generation 300 SRT cars are RWD.

So what component are you referring to as "staggered"?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SRT8 jeeps are AWD. The first generation 300 SRT cars are RWD.

So what component are you referring to as "staggered"?
You are missing my point. The SRT Jeeps utilise the same transfer case that the second generation (2011 to present) LX/LC vehicles utilse as well. All of these vehicles are part-time AWD unless you are in sport mode. The Jeeps leave the factory with a staggered tire fitment. The early segment LX AWD vehicles were full-time AWD, and as far as I know, running a staggered tire fitment was detrimental to the transfer case.

I would like to use the Getrag posi rear from a Challenger/Charger in the 3.06 ratio to match that of my 2014 300S. The spindles are 15 mm more inset than the AWD spindles simply to allow for track equidistance front to rear on the AWD vehicles (aesthetic issue.)

Since the Borg-Warner transfer case is a part-time AWD unit as is the SRT Jeep, I do not see the concerns for damage to the unit unlike the earlier full-time AWD unit. I simply am inquiring as to whether or not anyone is running a staggered fitment of wheel/tire on a late model AWD 300/Charger/Challenger Sport.

·
Administrator
13,064 Posts
I didn't miss any point.

Your profile says you have a 2008 300C SRT8. If you have a second generation AWD car that is not obvious from your profile.

Based on your second post here, you provided all the information that should have been in your first post.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't miss any point.

Your profile says you have a 2008 300C SRT8. If you have a second generation AWD car that is not obvious from your profile.

Based on your second post here, you provided all the information that should have been in your first post.
Oh sh*t.... my bad. That is a very old signature. I'm at 15 different vehicles now including three Vipers. I apologise for not removing that old signature. I just did. But now that we are on the same page, can anyone help me out here? I know that the transfer case on the Jeep is not a one-to-one match for the LX unit, but they both are the Borg-Warner torque sensing units that clutch electronically. I just believe that the warning against staggered fitments is directed at the pre-BW units if I understand correctly. My 2008 WK SRT8 is staggered, and I have had no issues with it whatsoever.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've considered it myself, the issue with these isn't the transfer case it's the computer. There's no way to tell the computer that you have a staggered setup. So it's(assuming larger rear diameter) going to think the rear is turning slower then the front. How much variation will cause problems and what exactly those problems will be, I'm not sure. I've heard 5% though.

I'm still considering going wider in the rear then the front but not(much) larger diameter. Wheels are tricky though, when I went looking for a 10"+ wide wheel for the back nobody made a one piece with enough offset for the higher AWD offset.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts