Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have often wondered what is wrong with all you people starting your cars wrong and stalling out LOL. Now it happend to me. Started in the garage this morning it ran for 3-4 seconds and died. Second start the same thing. I got out and checked the oil, golden clear and to the full mark. Re started and no further problems. Hmm, any one else?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Could this be the security system mis-identifying your key? Try the other key.

·
Registered
62 Posts
What about fuel? Are you using 89 octane? Have you changed gas stations recently? Just curious if anyone is using 87 and getting similar, better, worse results in general.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Using 89 only and still on the same tank at 1/4 full. When running it did not act like bad gas or water. The chip key issue others had resulted in a non start situation, interestingly the car actually started and ran twice before finally ran normally.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had a salesman tell me to turn the key to the on position and wait for the seatbelt dinger to stop before starting the engine. He said this was to allow the fuel system to come up to it's operating pressure. Could give it a try. I have not had this problem and I use this method on all my vehicles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm not sure I believe that one. How does putting your key in the ignition and giving all the electronics juice going to pressurize anything?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Tornnight said:
I'm not sure I believe that one. How does putting your key in the ignition and giving all the electronics juice going to pressurize anything?

The fuel pump is electric on modern fuel injected engines....So when the power is on for everything else, the fuel pump starts running.

·
Registered
169 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
Started in the garage this morning it ran for 3-4 seconds and died. Second start the same thing. I got out and checked the oil, golden clear and to the full mark. Re started and no further problems. Hmm, any one else?
Gang,

Last July this same thing happened to me. It did it just like you stated and has not happened since??? Doesn't make since.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This morning all is well, hopefully like Mspeasl it won't happen again. At least in the old days you could do something on the road if this happened. Put a stick in the carbureator, I remember my dad set some points using a business card as a gap guage and the car ran fine, on vacation in Miami he also jump started my uncle's car without cables by parking the front metal bumpers together and holding two bumper jacks on the + terminals and connecting them like an A frame. You just can't do these kinds of things today. Get out your cell phone and call AAA or roadside assist, what a shame.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've had maybe 1 hard start so far; as Percepty said, I wait for the fuel system to pressurize or whatever it's doing. You might also check your gas cap is tight and not cracked or chipped.

·
Registered
101 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
On vacation in Miami he also jump started my uncle's car without cables by parking the front metal bumpers together and holding two bumper jacks on the + terminals and connecting them like an A frame.

Wow, sounds like fun.... :) Reminds me of the days of my 83 CJ7.... When I could just pull over and fix about anything..... sigh....

·
Registered
275 Posts
I haven't had any trouble starting up cold, but twice now car was warm, I turned the wheel hard left, shifted to reverse and stalled. Couldn't repeat it on demand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts