Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car stalled today coming home from work. I drove about 45 minutes home. I get home and I have to parallel park. I pull up past the spot. I put the car in reverse and back into the spot. I put it in forward and the engine stalled in an instant! :confused: I turned the key and it instantly started back up. I thought this was really weird. Let's see I'm just under 3K miles on it, I was on a slight downward slope, and the tank was 3/4 full. Anyone have any input? Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Its happened to me twice now. The last time this past saturday morning as I was backing in to a parking spot in the company parking lot. The first time it was in the same area of the lot but coming from the other direction. So it seems that it make no difference which direction you are backing from it can stall from time to time. So far no one knows why.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ruppstar said:
So this is a (somewhat) known issue?
Somewhat but not a major topic yet

·
Registered
49 Posts
My Jeep did that once in a great while... Perhaps change fuel. Was the climate control on? I suspect it is idle related. Perhaps we will see a TSB with a flash memory upgrade for the issue.

·
Registered
323 Posts
This happened to me for the first time on Saturday. I was parallel parking on a fairly steep hill and in reverse. The car stalled and started right back up with a turn of the key. Hopefully it is not a frequent occurence. I have about 3800 miles on my car. I also had 3/4 of a tank of gas, so fuel was not the issue. :confused:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Happened 3 times for me in warmer weather; twice about to back up on a hill, once in a flat parking lot. All three times, the wheel was turned hard to the right. First 1,000 miles. Could be fuel or idle related.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I too had my wheel turned hard to the right while I was backing into the spot. I think you are correct in saying that it is most likely a problem with the idle. We'll see...

·
Registered
58 Posts
This might be related to a power-steering pump issue that some have reported on other threads.

Basically, the 300 can sometimes stall when too much demand is placed upon the power-steering pump. This usually happens when the car is at rest, the engine is working uphill, the wheel is cut all the way to one side or the other, and the driver lets off the brake to press on the accelerator. Parallel parking is a perfect example of when this situation might occur. When this happens, the engine may die.

I'm not sure why this happens, but I remember reading that others have had this problem (try searching for it).

·
Registered
169 Posts
IndySilverC said:
This might be related to a power-steering pump issue that some have reported on other threads.

Basically, the 300 can sometimes stall when too much demand is placed upon the power-steering pump.
I find this hard to believe. I have owned several cars over the last, almost 50 years, and have had a lot of pumps make a lot of racket. But, none of them, have over powered the engine and killed it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I took my own advice and searched. Here is the thread I was talking about.

It looks like someone reported the same issue, but there was disagreement as to what might have caused it. The power steering pump was one possibility, but no consensus was reached, and the issue appears to be unsolved as of yet.

Disclaimer: I have very limited practical experience with the inner workings of vehicles, so I usually defer to those with more. The power steering pump explanation sounds very plausible to me, but it could also be a malfunctioning Alludium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator, and I wouldn't know any different :)

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Happened to me twice... both times while in the driveway (slight grade), and before shifting out of park or turning the wheel. Shoots down the pwr. steering pump theory. Only using Shell Rocket fuel so for me that leaves the idle theory or, of course, a malfunctioning Alludium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

The engine is so quiet that I didn't even realize it had stalled until I shifted into Launch.
VOTE

·
Registered
101 Posts
I believe there was a recall on those Alludium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulators, ACME was the maker, I believe.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Mine did it twice in succession in the garage, level and steering wheel straight. Has not happened again. After careful thought, it is not the Alludium space modulator at all, what are you people thinking? It has to do with paralell lines and perpindecular lines rotating, creating a new polar moment of inertia leading to a fourth dimension that reduces spark thus stalling the engine.

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Aha, so it's our magnetic personalities causing the problem!! ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
2nd Kings says "...a new polar moment of inertia..."

Polar moment of inertia? What does Arctic sky-diving have to do with obstructing a Martian's view of Venus ;)?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm a 300 Touring owner (be gentle) and it happened to me also. I also was having rough idle issues. I brought it in and it needed a software upgrade which raised the idle speed and seems to run 10X better now even though it has ONLY 250HP :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Do you know what version of software was installed

Curious as to if you know what was the version of software installed? Does anyone know if the version that runs on the Touring is the same as the C? The reason I ask is my car has stalled even after the latest upgrade (actually it never stalled on the previous version but the temp not updating was driving me crazy). I am running the software build from 7/27/04. I'm wondering if a newer version exists now?

·
Registered
187 Posts
This just happened to me too. I was doing a quick U-Turn with the steering wheel turned completely. The right when I steped on the gas to get out in front of the cars coming down the street it stalled and my engine light came on. After parking for about a half hour I restarted the car and the engine light went off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts