Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The good news is they replaced my fuel tank under warranty (2300 miles) and that is meant to fix the staling problem. This is as per Chrysler instructions.

The bad news is I have really crap radio reception. Am I the only one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
jasonnjames said:
The good news is they replaced my fuel tank under warranty (2300 miles) and that is meant to fix the staling problem. This is as per Chrysler instructions.

The bad news is I have really crap radio reception. Am I the only one?
I have pretty poor reception with a station I listen (or try to listen to) in the mornings and evening for traffic reports. Never had any issue with reception with this station in any of my other vehicles. It's more an inconvenience than anything because I don't really listen to the radio other than for that one purpose. But you may be on to something. BTW - satellite reception seems fine.

Let us know what they find.

Dan
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
952 Posts
I have pretty good reception in my C, but we have a LOT of stations here and reception was never really a problem in any of my other cars. I'd say it's about the same as previous cars. For what it's worth, I have the BA7 w/o navi radio (assuming it makes any difference).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Same M.O.

Radio reception is really bad, even after the dealer replaced some type of module twice, "reception was found to be normal". I guess that's why the Sirius subscription is included free for one year. Also, vehicle has already gone through one complete differential replacement with less than 3K on the car.:684:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
I've only run into one "dead" area with my Sirius. Granted, I never found a "dead" area with XM but I'm sure there was one. Only had it for 3 months vs. the Sirius for 1 year. The quality of the radio though is ear drum shattering. I can't take anything over 21 for any length of time and I like it loud. I wouldn't say it's the best I've heard but certainly the loudest stock I've ever heard.

Tell me more about your rear differential failure MBZ. I replaced 6 in my 2004 and 2005 CTS-V's. I was hoping that concern ended with the 300 purchase. :pat:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
cvp33 said:
I've only run into one "dead" area with my Sirius. Granted, I never found a "dead" area with XM but I'm sure there was one. Only had it for 3 months vs. the Sirius for 1 year. The quality of the radio though is ear drum shattering. I can't take anything over 21 for any length of time and I like it loud. I wouldn't say it's the best I've heard but certainly the loudest stock I've ever heard.

Tell me more about your rear differential failure MBZ. I replaced 6 in my 2004 and 2005 CTS-V's. I was hoping that concern ended with the 300 purchase. :pat:
The car started to get noisy while coasting (rear end hum, probably just a defective bearing), no noise under acceleration. The dealer replaced the entire differential "just in case". Took about a week to have the "made in Germany" item shipped by rail and installed, but no additional noise concern so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
I'd say that's some pretty impressive customer service then. Doing a full rear diff replacement "just in case." Wonder if those GM guys in the V division are taking notes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
823 Posts
did you tint your windows?

If so, were they metallized?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Radio reception is bad in the SRT8. I have the upgraded Boston/Navi in my 300C vs. the Kicker/Navi in my SRT8. Same highways, same stations, it is far worse in the SRT8 than my 300C. Local channels are still fuzzy in the SRT8.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,071 Posts
To be honest, with a 6 disc CD/MP3 player and satelite radio, I have never once, zip, zero, nada listened to the radio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
The worst reception!

I never complained about it because everything else is unreal. But, this is the worst radio reception I have ever had. I have the REC radio with Satellite, but no satellite in Hawaii, bummers! All my other cars have been better by far. Only two stations come in near my house, the others are there but lots of static. My other cars are much better. It has reception like an old transistor radio. I was wondering where the radio antenna is and if anyone has tried something better!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
i am the same way. i dont even dare put on the radio. most of the stations here in south florida suck. the cd is always playing either regular muisc cd's or mp3 cd's :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,068 Posts
urbanchemist said:
i am the same way. i dont even dare put on the radio. most of the stations here in south florida suck. the cd is always playing either regular muisc cd's or mp3 cd's :)
I know what you mean!! Radio in S. FLA blows! I have not turned on the radio one time- either in my previous 5.7 or the 6.1. I probably won't since we have some better options available to listen to. (MP3's, CD's, Sat)

Sorry you're having trouble- will they do a radio swap and see if it makes any difference?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Nav radio

Yep, the FM reception in my SRT8 300C is the worst I have had in any car..I noted this on another thread on the topic...

I just listen to the Sat or CDs. Mostly CDs, as they sound BY FAR the best on the system. Sat radio has tinny sound on most stations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Is it possible that there's just a bad connection somewhere?

The simple answer is usually the right one.

Maybe the guys building the SRT8's are *unintentionally* leaving out a step or, more likely, installing a defective wiring harness?. FM tuners these days are pretty sensitive, so they don't need a great antenna vis-a-vis the simple "T" antenna way back there in the rear windshield (usually) works great. All the FM stations I listen to (in all my vehicles) are 35-50+ miles away over some large hills. I had something similar happen to me in my younger "do it yourself" days when I didn't plug the antenna lead to the back of a new radio head. It still picked up strong, local stations (none of which I listen to) but my favorites were "barely there". Once I plugged it in, reception returned to normal.

Not having pulled the head unit from my 300 console to check, is it possible that the antenna lead could have been jimmied loose during installation at the factory or post delivery by hard driving (you know you SRT8 guyz don't exactly drive like Grandpa)?

The big question is: if it's a bad connection in the wiring harness, how would one go about diagnosing it? With a multi-meter perhaps? What connectors might be involved and where are they?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had the garage check out the signal and it was full strength. I should have asked the dam designer last Sat.

JGarten said:
The simple answer is usually the right one.

Maybe the guys building the SRT8's are *unintentionally* leaving out a step or, more likely, installing a defective wiring harness?. FM tuners these days are pretty sensitive, so they don't need a great antenna vis-a-vis the simple "T" antenna way back there in the rear windshield (usually) works great. All the FM stations I listen to (in all my vehicles) are 35-50+ miles away over some large hills. I had something similar happen to me in my younger "do it yourself" days when I didn't plug the antenna lead to the back of a new radio head. It still picked up strong, local stations (none of which I listen to) but my favorites were "barely there". Once I plugged it in, reception returned to normal.

Not having pulled the head unit from my 300 console to check, is it possible that the antenna lead could have been jimmied loose during installation at the factory or post delivery by hard driving (you know you SRT8 guyz don't exactly drive like Grandpa)?

The big question is: if it's a bad connection in the wiring harness, how would one go about diagnosing it? With a multi-meter perhaps? What connectors might be involved and where are they?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
well guys, i do audio and its not the unpluged ant. they just suc! the 300c im currently working on has horrible reception. its getting a kenwood 717dvd and i install alot of these systems....and this cars reception sux. im pulling the plastic on the pasengers side rear deck tomorrow, if i see anything unusal ill post it.
XS
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top