Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Only had the grille since sept.07 and it has already got small bubbles around the rim. Took to dealer who needs to take pics. to send to USA for approval for replacement!!

Looked at all the 300Cs that had this grille fitted on the forecourt to find they all had pitted!!! Gosh thats a big batch of bad grilles on the market.

I bought mine down south and this is a garage up north!

Anyone else have the same problem? You may want to have a close look at yours!:scared:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mine's the same.
G.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, I had the same problem. Seems more common than I thought. I recently had mine replaced under waranty. My dealer also took photographs to send to Brabus for permission to replace it. There was no problem with this and it was replaced within about 2 weeks of reporting it. Took about an hour and a half to fit and they did it while I waited in the showroom. Good luck with your claim.

Graham

·
Registered
176 Posts
I thought I'd clean the cells of my Startech grille last Saturday - no chance. I now have a stained rim and stubborn deposits in the cells. Maybe I need something more aggressive than nylon bristles.
G.

·
Premium Member
2019 Chrysler 300 SRT
2,097 Posts
I thought I'd clean the cells of my Startech grille last Saturday - no chance. I now have a stained rim and stubborn deposits in the cells. Maybe I need something more aggressive than nylon bristles.
G.
Had a go yesterday cleaning my grille with a bottle brush, same conclusion, didn't make any difference, I did notice that there was a lot of pitting and bubbling in between each cell too, time for a trip to the dealer I think.

Stef

·
Registered
176 Posts
Had a go yesterday cleaning my grille with a bottle brush, same conclusion, didn't make any difference, I did notice that there was a lot of pitting and bubbling in between each cell too, time for a trip to the dealer I think.

Stef
Mine looks like salt deposits in the cells and water staining around the rim especially at the bottom. It's always been stained but the deposits have appeared over the winter.
I will let the service agent take the photos for a warranty replacement when it goes for service next month. Not sure how to protect the replacement.
Apparently wrapping it in clingfilm will invalidate the engine warranty.:pat:

You may wish to inspect your wheelnuts. New ones are extremely shiny. Mine became dull grey so I've beadblasted and painted them. I've also had the wheels refurbished at my own expense because the factory finish is not tough enough. They're now silver and not two-tone. My new warranty replacement wheel centres have arrived. I think I'll lacquer them a bit more before fitting.
G.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Grille update

Finally after 3 weeks or so since the dealer took digi photos and emailed them off to Germany (not USA as previously reported), they have come back agreeing to replace under warranty.

Now I just need to check a little closer at the wheels and nuts to see if same!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Was in the dealer the other day looking at an 08 plate 300. Mirror chrome coming off and wheels already corroded. Had similar problems on mine. Mirror chrome replaced and awaiting decision on wheels. Not the greatest weather in Teesside, but it cant be much different to the rest of the country with snow, rain and road salt through the winter. At least it keeps the dealers in money with all the warranty claims work.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I didn't lacquer my new Startech wheel centres - I just polished them and fitted them. I also put on some chromed valve caps (after painting the valve stems of course).
My wheelnuts are so much better now they're painted silver.
Not sure about the Startech wheels in monochrome silver instead of two-tone though.
Grille is still scruffy. It makes a difference you know. When the cells are shiny the front of the car is shiny from all angles. When the cells are dull the car is not quite as shiny from angles, although the surface of the grid is shiny.

G.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Is the mirror chrome just a clip-on cover or is it the actual mirror shell?

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Greenheugh, PM me with your email address and I will forward a link to another forum (sadly these are blocked now) which shows how to take the mirrors off - a very involved task - door trim, wiring, etc.
Cheers John

·
Registered
176 Posts
The car cleaning people washed and polished my car on Thursday and the grille is like new again. Can't see any defects any more.

G.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Had my grille replaced yesterday under warranty. Easier to get that done than wait in the queue for replacement wheels. Apparently my grille has been lying at the dealers awaiting my car coming in for quite a while - while I delayed due to no wheels available.
Cheers John

·
Registered
176 Posts
Had my grille replaced yesterday under warranty. Easier to get that done than wait in the queue for replacement wheels. Apparently my grille has been lying at the dealers awaiting my car coming in for quite a while - while I delayed due to no wheels available.
Cheers John
Is that a Startech grille you got replaced?
Do I understand your wheels are corroded and being replaced? Are they the Startech ones or standard?

Greenheugh

PS Best regards, hope you're well.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Hi, knees and hips not doing too well but other than that I am metaphorically kicking my height.
Yes, Startech grille replaced - they photographed it first and sought permission from Startech. Wheels are standard 18" ----- I had to kick up hell to get them changed and in fact am supposed to have got another customer's wheels - hope to God he ain't on here.
Take it you are doing OK yourself - how about your friend who accommpanied you to our meeting - give her my regards and good wishes. Talking of our meeting - starting to make enquiries as to a suitable venue for next year.
Oh yes, and finally, the Stag breathed its last about six weeks ago and I sold off the body etc it ran its big-ends expiring on the front drive.
Cheers John

·
Banned
106 Posts
Hello I have a quick question what are your takes on startech in general do you like them I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to startech

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I love my Startech Bentley style grille, but it's a question of taste. There have been some reported cases of bubbling on the Startech Grille, but mines is an 06 model with startech grille from new showing no signs of being faulty.

If I were you I'd do a search on here for grille and see what pops up. There are loads of different styles and more than enough for everyones individual taste.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
My Startech grille had micro bubbling along the bottom of the surround. When I took the car in to get the wheels photographed in May (car bought new July 2008) re replacement by Chrysler the grille was photographed as well for Startech and replaced under warranty.
Cheers John

1 - 20 of 28 Posts