Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I got my car 2006 SRT-8 roughly 3 or 4 months ago with a little over 70K. I realized roughly about 2 months ago that I’m able to start the car without pressing the brake pedal. Just turning the key in the ignition starts it. Is that normal? Every car I’ve had required that the brake pedal needed to be pressed before/while turning the key. If it isn’t normal, what could cause it to do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Chrysler 300c SRT8 w/ a Hellcat Supercharger
74 Posts
I believe it is normal. I think that is how mine is. It is difficult to remember because like you said most cars are like that. You for sure have to in the push to start models.

Reactions: vincentallen2

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe it is normal. I think that is how mine is. It is difficult to remember because like you said most cars are like that. You for sure have to in the push to start models.
It’s definitely a first for me haha
Coming from a 2016 Challenger, it definitely seemed odd after I realized this could be done. I don’t even remember being able to start the car without pressing on the brake on my 2012 Dodge Avenger

·
Registered
2006 Chrysler 300c SRT8 w/ a Hellcat Supercharger
74 Posts
It’s definitely a first for me haha
Coming from a 2016 Challenger, it definitely seemed odd after I realized this could be done. I don’t even remember being able to start the car without pressing on the brake on my 2012 Dodge Avenger

I just checked today in a 05 300c 5.7l, and a 06 300c SRT8. Both were able to start without the brake pressed. My 09 Avenger can also start without pressing the brake. I believe as soon as they released that square shaped key they switched to the brake to start system because you could install a push button. Probably around 2011 model year. I do not know for sure.

Reactions: vincentallen2

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just checked today in a 05 300c 5.7l, and a 06 300c SRT8. Both were able to start without the brake pressed. My 09 Avenger can also start without pressing the brake. I believe as soon as they released that square shaped key they switched to the brake to start system because you could install a push button. Probably around 2011 model year. I do not know for sure.
Thank you for confirming this for me! This definitely puts my mind at ease. I was thinking that maybe there was actually an issue with my braking system

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 2010 300C has that horrible Mercedes black key switch thing (which is the only part failure I've had sine new in 2010 by the way...mercedes junk lol) and it has always started without needing the push the brake pedal, but will not move out of Park until you press the brake pedal , it's how they are.
On the other hand 3 PT Cruiser stick shift always need the clutch to be depressed....which is good.
Autostick PT starts without needing the brake but again you press the brakes to move out of Park.
Our Fiat 500X AWD has push button start so you must press the brake pedal AND the automatic parking brake release does not operate unless you have your seatbelt on OR you can release it manually but we only use that to move to car out of the garage to wash it or similar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts