Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 300C. After you drive it a while and park it, it will not start again for about 15 to 20 minutes. Any Ideas as to why and what I could do to fix the problem? Just bought the car last month and immediately had to install a water pump. Also install a new coolant sensor and thermostat as well. The only codes that have popped are po404 and po420. Neither should have to do with this problem I wouldn't think. If anyone has any idea how to fix this problem I would greatly appreciate it. My wife really wants to drive her new car but she's afraid she's gonna get stuck at a gas station for a half hour. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does not crank. Lights on the dash come on but when the key is turned it will not crank. Wait 20 minutes or so and it will start right up. It is a 300c, 5.7 hemi.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ok,.I don't know the hemi at all but it would seem to me you have a loss of power to the starter ....if it was me I would eliminate the cheap and easy first..

1. Chekc the battery connections, including undoing the earth connection in the boot, cleaning it and remaking it.

2. If you can get to it meter the voltage at the main starter feed and the trigger line on the starter when they key is in start and it's not starting to see if you have voltage at either/both.

3. If you can get to it remove the connections to the starter, clean them up and remake them

OBVIOUSLY while working with connections with serious amps disconnect the battery before working on them and be aware of your personal safety!

Sounds to me like a loose/corroded connection that gets less tight as things get warm...but could be a antitheft system issue I guess (have you tried using the other key.....or fitting new batteries into the keys, I guess you may be in the US and I am.in Europe so keys/antitheft may be different)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I've checked all connections at starter and battery. I only have one key. I've narrowed it down to the ignition system or the computer. That's why I put it on the forum. Being an Auto Tech in the past has taught me that if it isn't the obvious, check with owners and former owners. Usually someone has had the same quirky problem. It seems that this may be a new one though. Everyone gives me the same advice it seems. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do you get 12v at the main power and trigger lines on the solanoid when the key is in the start position, because if you do and it's not cranking then you can eliminate computers and security..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have power to everything but ignition when the key is in the on position but not through the circuit in the the start position.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry not with you...

Do you have power to the started solanoid on the main power line AND the trigger line, or just the power line...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have power to the main starter line, but not the trigger line when turned to start.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you start it, then stop it before it gets hot does it reatart? I.e. is it related to time since run or temperature?

Have you pulled all the fuses/relays and plugged them back in to check they are properly seated?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it seems to be related to time. It seems to have started after it overheated but it could have been there since we bought it. Thats the first time that we noticed it. I replaced the waterpump and thermostat and purged the coolant system. The car runs about 193 degrees F. if I just drive it around the block or to the fueling station it will start right back up but, if I drive 35 miles or so it will not start again for 20 minutes or so. I have pulled all of the fuses, relays, and breakers I have found both under the hood and in the trunk. They all seem good, no burns and no blown fuses.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts