Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a problem, sometimes (actually most times) I start the 300C it will start almost instantly, but then immediately die if I don't give it some gas. The times that it starts normal once the engine kicks in the RPMs go up to about 800, then for a second (I am sure computer controlled) it will jump up to about 1300. After just a second it will drop back to normal right around 500 RPM. That is a rarity now though. When I start it now it will kick on really quick, RPMs jump up to about 500, then it will immediately die. Once it dies it will be very hard to start, sometimes around 4-5 seconds of cranking and pumping the gas pedal to get it to fire up. Very embarrasing in a brand new car. Has anyone else had this problem? The dealer told me it was because my key was not progrrammed correctly, after reprogramming the key however, the problem has still been going on. Besides, I know what the car will do when it doesn't have the right key. It starts fine and will run fine for a few seconds then die. This is not the problem I am having. This will die almost instantly. I am tempted to take a video of it happening. I hope someone can help.

Thanks
-Chris

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well, with EFI you really shouldn't have to pump the pedal, I don't know if that helps on a non carburetted car anyway.

This is not normal. If necessary, get to the dealer well ahead of time and let it cool down before you show them.

This goes into my "Fix this NOW!" category of complaints.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the pumping was a bad description. I have to hold the pedal down, ,so that when the car does start, ,it immediately revs up. Otherwise it will just die. I think I am going to call the dealer and schedule an apointment. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. It has been doing it since day 1.

-Chris

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
Black Hemi said:
I think the pumping was a bad description. I have to hold the pedal down, ,so that when the car does start, ,it immediately revs up. Otherwise it will just die. I think I am going to call the dealer and schedule an apointment. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. It has been doing it since day 1.

-Chris
Could be a fuel problem. Water in the gas (pour 4 oz of methyl hydrate alcohol into the gas tank - it will absorb the water and burn through) or could be dirt in the fuel injectors (need to have fuel injectors purged by a technician).

If that's not it, then probably a vehicle computer software problem.

It definitely not a common problem with the 300C.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I had this problem once, I remember reading a thread that said that you should turn your key to the ON position for a couple of seconds to start (prime) the fuel pump and then crank. I'll tell you that once I started using that procedure, my car starts without any problems at all. As a matter of fact the crank and start sounds a bit more clean. Again, it only happened to me once so it could've been bad gas as well. I would recommend to try the above procedure and see if that helps. I no longer start the car by immediately cranking and things seem to go more smoothly.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Not again........

Well, I've been having the same problem since May or June. I get a crank start followed by ESPBAS light. Sometimes the car will try to start and the RPM's will jump a bit and then the car will die with the oil light on. I've taken it to the dealership countless times. Just last December I took it in and finally the tech was able to duplicate the problem (had to take it to two dealerships). He was working on it and found a few error codes were stored. I would have to leave it a few days till they could figure it out. Last Christmas I didn't have a few days due to my job so next oil change I'll let them take a long look at it. The problem happens everyday to me still.

I would video tape it. If the problem is like mine, its a little unpredictable at first and then it becomes really predictable to know when the problem will happen I.E. duplicate it. Take the video and show it to the techs, they will be able to figure something out. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I really miss hearing that Mopar starter gear drive. I pause the key in the on position and turn to start, it fires very quickly. Many of the new cars seem to respond better to a pause before start. Must have something to do with the computer. Don't forget to check the fuel filter, remember, it is under pressure, the technical folks here can probably note the correct procedure. Never ever get gas when the station tanks are being filled, stirs up all the crud.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, I've been having the same problem since May or June. I get a crank start followed by ESPBAS light. Sometimes the car will try to start and the RPM's will jump a bit and then the car will die with the oil light on. I've taken it to the dealership countless times. Just last December I took it in and finally the tech was able to duplicate the problem (had to take it to two dealerships). He was working on it and found a few error codes were stored. I would have to leave it a few days till they could figure it out. Last Christmas I didn't have a few days due to my job so next oil change I'll let them take a long look at it. The problem happens everyday to me still.

I would video tape it. If the problem is like mine, its a little unpredictable at first and then it becomes really predictable to know when the problem will happen I.E. duplicate it. Take the video and show it to the techs, they will be able to figure something out. Keep us posted.
I hate to dredge up a very old topic, but my 2005 300C is doing the exact same thing. It seems like it is taking longer to start sometimes. Plus, a few times, it has started up and immediately died. Then an oil lamp light shows up. The oil level is fine, and was changed recently. My mileage is only 35,000. Did anyone ever find out a solution to this problem?

With all of the problems with this car, I'm starting to wonder if I would just be better off trading in for an economy priced Kia or something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts