Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered a set of rear turn bulbs, full pedal set and tire air stem caps from Stealth Auto. Got them all installed today on my Heritage Edition. Only trouble was a little confusion on the pedals, but after checking here and LXforums, I found my way just fine after all.

Here are some pictures of the pedals, and a stem cap for your enjoyment.

Stem Cap... Hmmm... look like I've got some micro-scratches on that chrome cladding! Grrr.

For those who may not know, Aaron has an "installation pictorial" posted over at LXforums which explains all you need to know for the installation of these beautiful pedal covers.

The only thing I would add is this. The underlying brake pedal structure has a depression on the front side, and something MUST be placed in this to fill the depression or the rubber backing will flex into the depression and the "nubs" of the new pedal covering are going to "flop" down flush (or worse) to the metal face of the pedal cover.

I used four thicknesses of the packaging foam envelope in which one of the pedal pieces was enclosed. It's easy to cut to the shape and provides both filler and flexibility behind the rubber backing. Only time will tell whether it deteriorates over time and repetitive braking.

I didn't take any pictures of the rear turn installation as that has been covered by others and, really, there's not much at which to look.

Edit to add: I really like the metal air stem caps. I had not even realized that the original caps that came with the TPM stems were plastic. It wasn't until I took them off and rolled them in my fingers and felt the "squishiness" of them that I realized they were plastic... and not that substantial. These new ones are the real deal!

·
Banned
3,966 Posts
Nice job GTL... looks great. I too ordered the 300C valve stem caps, they sent the SRT ones but I have the right ones inbound as we speak.

Don't you love the stealth bulbs? I have the front and rears and they really clean up the look of the lights.

·
Premium Member
10,829 Posts
GTL,
It all looks great! I also like the 300c valve stem covers. One questions....won't the floor mat cover up your new foot rest pedal?

bruno

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
GTL,
It all looks great! I also like the 300c valve stem covers. One questions....won't the floor mat cover up your new foot rest pedal?

bruno
bruno... No, the floor mat does not go up and over the "dead" foot rest pedal. In fact the floor mat covers no angled surfaces. If the pedals weren't so "bright" in the camera flash, you could see the floor mat was in place during the shots.

Personally, I told Aron that I would prefer an oval covering alathe original oval incorporated in the carpet. This rectangle initially strikes me as way too big, but I'd rather have it, than not with the rest of the things... but if an oval was available I would have ordered it vs. the large rectangle.

BTW... added a note to Post #1 regarding the OEM air stem caps for the TPM-type stems. Check it out.

·
Premium Member
10,829 Posts
Thanks for clearing up my confusion, GTL! Like you, I would also prefer an oval foot rest pedal rather than the larger one available. I'm the crazy one who covers up my floor mats with Tommy Hilfiger towels anyway! :pat:

Good job on your install. I'm still thinking about this mod...

bruno

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought my wife was going to choke when the package came and I told her the cost... two sets of rear turns (for both Cs), a set of four stems and then the pedals. But when she saw them come out of the box, and then the first one installed today... she said ,"WOW! Those are beautiful!" Which is exactly what I was thinking... so don't hestitate... do it now. Just realize the drilling of the brake pedal is the toughest thing to get right... and clamps are strongly recommended as shown in Aaron's guide thread.

·
Premium Member
10,829 Posts
You are definitely tempting me. I wonder if I can place an order without having to pay for the foot rest pedal that I really don't need or ever use....

bruno

I thought my wife was going to choke when the package came and I told her the cost... two sets of rear turns (for both Cs), a set of four stems and then the pedals. But when she saw them come out of the box, and then the first one installed today... she said ,"WOW! Those are beautiful!" Which is exactly what I was thinking... so don't hestitate... do it now. Just realize the drilling of the brake pedal is the toughest thing to get right... and clamps are strongly recommended as shown in Aaron's guide thread.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are definitely tempting me. I wonder if I can place an order without having to pay for the foot rest pedal that I really don't need or ever use....

bruno
I'm pretty sure that you can purchsae without the footrest. That is the original way they came. Not sure when the foot rest became available, but if you look at the install guide thread... you will see that the pictures do not cover a foot rest piece.

So PM Aaron, and I'm sure he can fix you up!

·
Registered
848 Posts

bruno
...if you purchase a set and have to get the dead pedal, let me know. I'll buy it from you. I bought a set of 3 before the 4th pedal was offered.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are some more pictures to illustrate the difference between the ebrake skeletal structure of the '05-'06 pull-to-release models and the '07 (maybe late '06) push-to-release models.

On our '06 Heritage Edition, the structure of the ebrake looks like this. Note that the skeleton appears to be a reinforced nylon or acetal plastic and the dimpled plastic pad is large enough to just allow for the screw holes to be drilled...

Now here is the structure of the '07 ebrake. It is made of metal and is shaped.

The mounting face has an indention at the lower right, and is smaller in cross-section than the earlier plastic structure. You can see where I scratched it attempting (unsuccessfully) to gain a drilling position for the mounting screws.

Note also there there is a hole in the bracket on the near side, above the indention, into which an integrated tab of the rubber boot protrudes to help maintain the grip of the rubber OEM overlay.

Here's what the bottom of the OEM rubber boot looks like... AFter a few trial and error attempts I was able get the mounting screws for the SRT8 cover plate to stay within the thick sides of the boot so that they don't interfere with how it "fits" onto the skeletal structure.

In the picture above the opening at the bottom corner of the boot is where the upper part of the ebrake structure fits, and the tab which goes in the hole is seen on the right side. In other words I'm holding the boot upside down as it would be removed from the structure.

As far as I could manage this is the only way (for the moment) to mount the ebrake's SRT8 cover securely.

Repeating an image from the original post... Here's the finished install (you can see the rubber boot under the ebrake cover plate... but that's just the way it has to be for now.

·
Premium Member
4,700 Posts
I ordered a set of rear turn bulbs, full pedal set and tire air stem caps from Stealth Auto. Got them all installed today on my Heritage Edition. Only trouble was a little confusion on the pedals, but after checking here and LXforums, I found my way just fine after all.

Here are some pictures of the pedals, and a stem cap for your enjoyment.

For those who may not know, Aaron has an "installation pictorial" posted over at LXforums which explains all you need to know for the installation of these beautiful pedal covers.

The only thing I would add is this. The underlying brake pedal structure has a depression on the front side, and something MUST be placed in this to fill the depression or the rubber backing will flex into the depression and the "nubs" of the new pedal covering are going to "flop" down flush (or worse) to the metal face of the pedal cover.

I used four thicknesses of the packaging foam envelope in which one of the pedal pieces was enclosed. It's easy to cut to the shape and provides both filler and flexibility behind the rubber backing. Only time will tell whether it deteriorates over time and repetitive braking.

Hey GTL. Loctite makes an epoxy putty that can be used to fill the recessed area in the stock brake pedal (before installing the aftermarket pedal). You have 5 minutes to get the putty in place where you need it after mixing it. 45 minutes later you can sand the putty flush.

The epoxy putty in the brake pedal before sanding

The epoxy putty after sanding and ready to install the aftermarket brake pedal. It does not have to be perfect or look perfect as you are going to cover it with the brake pedal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts