Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else notice fairly significant steering kickback on bumpy or rough pavement. I don't have a right pull problem but if I don't hold the wheel tight it always kicks right on bumps and thus the car goes right. I plan to have this and the alignment checked for crown sensitivity when the temp sensor is checked.

·
Registered
588 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
Does anyone else notice fairly significant steering kickback on bumpy or rough pavement. I don't have a right pull problem but if I don't hold the wheel tight it always kicks right on bumps and thus the car goes right. I plan to have this and the alignment checked for crown sensitivity when the temp sensor is checked.
Talk to a good alignment tech; he'll probably tell you that this car has its caster (rearward easment of the spindle) as far to the rear as one can probably go. This then, provides the heavier feeling when you turn your front wheels toward the maximum. High caster also tends to keep the car in a straight line. But as a corollary, that wheel can easily "vibrate" when hitting an obstruction. It's not unlike the front caster wheels of a supermarket cart, if you push it into a small obstruction, it will jiggle.

It's the nature of the beast to achieve "better steering."

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured it was probably "normal" much like an old 911 where road imperfections feel like braille through the steering wheel

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good thought but I did not pony up for the 22s, I am on stock rollers, perhaps this kickback is not normal but I did feel it on my 87 300E much less though.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yes I agree about the 'kickback" on rough pavement. I swear I can feel it bounce against the stops. I think the suspension can barely manage the weight of the 18's. I would hate to put on a heavier tire combo. Maybe that is why they are telling dealers not to upgrade wheel size.

·
Registered
629 Posts
II Kings, you're right. I go over an uneven section of pavement at an overpass that makes the wheel dance for a moment everytime. However, even in the rain the car hasn't done anything foolish. The wheel just jumps to the left and then re-centers. I wonder if it is a little ESP magic that I really don't feel a discernable change of direction!

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree LWOOD, the front end is rock solid and thank the lord does not jump when the wheel kicks, it is more of a nuisance than a safety/steering problem but nonetheless is still annoying. I'll have it checked with the alignment and will get use to it like other items on every other car I have ever had (except the Citroen CX, it was perfect).

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, perfect design, features (for it's time), and function. In the 5 years I had it, one repair. The waterpump, $590 installed :eek: . Steering,engine, hydro suspension and brakes, seats, gearbox etc.etc. were all masterfully designed and built :D . It is the only car I have had that stirs conversation more than the C.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts