Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just gave my "C" "MY" monthly check over and I have got play in the steering rack..again..,it only had one fitted about 6 weeks ago,rang up the stealers,she's going back in next week.Also having the o/s/f spotlight replaced as its filling with water,apparently Chrysler have said that if the light just mists up there will be no replacement,however if there is water in the light they will replace it.
As its my 2nd steering rack in 15000 miles I would strongly advise you to check your steering racksif its at all possible,I think I have found a weak link in the "C"

·
Registered
176 Posts
Maybe that's why they only put 245 tyres on the front Startechs - maybe the manufacturers know that wide tyres are hard work for the steering apparatus and make it fail.
I tried one of my 275 rears on the front last night and it didn't foul, but I will stay with the 245s in light of your problems. Pity because the 275 protects the rim slightly.
G.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried the 275's on the front,they didnt foul when stationary,looked a bit close though,so I dont know if they catch when under load

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
I take it you are aware that the N American steering rack is totally different to ours. Don't know where they sourced theirs but the steering seems to be less positive but has the advantage of having a telescopic column.
Cheers John

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my last rack was a TWR make not Chrysler or Mercedes!!

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John,which rack is less positive,theirs or ours?? cos mine is very positive for a big car,anyway its confirmed my rack is knackered again after 6 weeks from last replacement,they are also gonna change my waterlogged spotlamp,my burnt out sidelight bulb holders and the bolts that hold the bellypan in due to the fact that they left them out the last time they replaced my rack.
Funny thing is it took me 2 minutes to jack my own car up and find the play yet it took the stealership a full hour to find it,funny that ay!!Dya think an hours diagnostic (warranty) claim is winging its way to Chrysler head office.lol

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Hi Ray, the N American rack is supposedly less positive than the "export" model. It also has vertical adjustment in the column as well as telescopic if that is of any interest. I very much doubt if the two are interchangeable without a deal of alteration to associated bits and bobs.
Re the timescale for diagnoses - isn't that what they call "efficiency" The same efficiency as misplaced your bellypan bolts!!
Cheers John

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bellypan bolts,its took them 6 weeks to get them,its a good job I have an assortment of bolts to secure the bellypan( probably ones I left out of other cars,I'm joking honestly.lol.)the last rack was a TWR rack(most probably a recon to save money to make money)If it wasnt for the performance,comfort,looks and price of the "C" I would chop it in,cos in 2 1/2 years and not even 15000 miles its a touch shoddy,its a big car and all the bits n bobs are a bit thin and weak in my opinion.Now if they could put that hemi in a .... never mind.. it wouldnt be the same now would it

·
Banned
651 Posts
UK its like your speaking another language

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Eh-Hem!! Historically, I think you will find that we invented it - the language I mean. It has been spoken in various forms for the better part of a thousand years on these Sceptered Isles. Hate to say it but it generally is YOU who are speaking another language. :twak:
Cheers John

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
UK_Chrysler_300c, sorry to hear about your problems and not that this helps you any but TRW is a supplier of steering systems to many auto companies worldwide, including Chrysler and Mercedes
TRW Automotive - Who We Are - History - Technological Firsts

And I don't know anything about the different Euro-spec steering assembly, but in the US the SRT-8 supposedly has a nine land steering gear, while the other models have a 6 land steering gear. If you search for land steering gear, you'll find the description somewhere on this forum. Now what that means:dunno:

·
Registered
152 Posts
UK CHRYSLER 300 C
I took my car to a dealer in Stirling regarding some warranty stuff ie slight ,(very slight )startech alloys corrosion and the fogs mist up. They said i will get 4 new alloys no problem maybe fogs if it passes the 40 minute test , which is .Turn on fogs for 40 mins to see if they demist, mines do iv'e tried it but there is visible water lying in them, so i should get mine replaced.Try the test.:fing02:

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my stealership says that "the note" from Chrysler states that if the spots are just misty-no change-if there is water in them-change.
I know TWR make components for a lot of cars but are they reconditioned units or new??.Warranty components should be like for like IMO

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UK_Chrysler_300c, sorry to hear about your problems and not that this helps you any but TRW is a supplier of steering systems to many auto companies worldwide, including Chrysler and Mercedes
TRW Automotive - Who We Are - History - Technological Firsts

And I don't know anything about the different Euro-spec steering assembly, but in the US the SRT-8 supposedly has a nine land steering gear, while the other models have a 6 land steering gear. If you search for land steering gear, you'll find the description somewhere on this forum. Now what that means:dunno:
The lands are vanes in the steering rack allowing the fluid to pass through when you steer.I dont know how many lands my 05 5.7 has but it handles realy well for a big car even with the excess play I have in the rack,its just a bit uncomfy when going over pot-holes you cant avoid

1 - 15 of 15 Posts