Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

I am a PROUD, NEW owner of a BB 300C that has a mfg date of 1/05. I took possesion on 1/27/05 when it had only 31 miles (15 of which I put on during the test drive). :)

I have a question concerning whether the steering wheel "locks" for you guys. Mine does not seem to "lock" after I turn off the car and remove the key. Turning it either way does not seem to engage the lock either.

Is this normal? Or am I simply not turning the whell far enough?

BTW, I LOVE this board and have found a TON of useful info here. I am so in love with this car and am glad to be a part of the 300, 300C, and HEMI family. I will be doing several modifications over the next several months (based on ideas I saw here) and know I can count on you guys if I have any questions.

Anyway, thanks for any and all replies!

JFF:D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mine doesn't lock either...must be normal. Build date of 11/22/04

·
Registered
290 Posts
C.o.n.g.r.a.t.s.

Congrats & Welcome JFF to the 300/300C Family! Yes there is a ton of info here and a ton of good ole great people here with lots of knowledge! You will truly enjoy yourself! As for my steering wheel locking I will have to check since I haven't driven Mrs SexC in awhile we got dumped with a ton of snow. But thanks for inquiring now I must check! :) Can't wait to see pics of your BB Beauty!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Probably doesn't lock so that if the car gets towed the steering wheel can work itself straight so it's not towed with the wheels turned......

·
Registered
281 Posts
I feared this would be the case with a dash mounted key cylinder. I can't believe I forgot to check this. Now I'm curious.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
It doesn't lock. I seem to remember that steering locks came in as an anti-theft feature. The "chip in the key" interlock system makes "hot wiring" a waste of time on cars equipped this way.

The only practical way to steal this car is to winch it onto a flatbed.

I am glad to see it gone. Never liked locked steering. Also glad to see the ignition switch returned to the dashboard.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
We should be happy, my brother's 00 Vette locked up on him twice while driving, the dealer fix was to disable the steering lock. This was last year, he just got a recall letter to disable the steering lock. A steering lock is plainly unecessary on a chip key car. The lock btw is easily popped so it's not really anti theft. Anyone see "Gone in 60 Seconds" a must see for all car nuts, the best chase scene since Bullitt and Ronin.

·
Registered
351 Posts
This may not be necessary today.....but I remember when parking on a hill, it was best to turn the wheels to the curb and lock the wheel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts