Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, Great site glad to be here. I have a 2005 Chrysler 300C with lots of miles over 190,000 still runs great. I have a little slop in steering wheel about an inch or so side to side where there is no steering. It gets a little crazy on hwy sometimes when you hit the ruts from the truck and over correct. Took it to dealer they told me upper control arms which I replaced and it still does it. Could it be in the steering box? I dont know much about cars so any help would be great. Is it an expensive fix if it is?

Thanks guys,
Spartan300C

·
Registered
562 Posts
well about the only thing else is the rack & pinion assembly and the comes with the inner tie rods or i think you can just replace the tie rods if you can get it on some jack stands and do a little trouble shooting your self. the rack and pinon assy is about $250 bucks give or take.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I think it must be rack and pinion. I had tie rods done about 6 months ago. I will have my mechanic have a look and let me know. Thanks for getting back to me.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Thanks I think it must be rack and pinion. I had tie rods done about 6 months ago. I will have my mechanic have a look and let me know. Thanks for getting back to me.
good luck with your problem let us know how it works out for you and welcome to the forum from southern california.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Interested in this myself. By the way, your car has four tie rods. Two outer ones and two inner ones. Both can wear out and cause the symptoms you describe. Do you know which ones were replaced? Probably the outers. Typically, the dealer won't replace the inner tie rods, but will replace the entire rack because replacements for the inner ones are not available OEM. The inner tie rods are available in the after market and it is much cheaper to replace them than the entire rack. Have you mechanic check the inner tie rods for play. In my experience, it is not very common for the rack to develop excessive play. The usual problem is hard to turn in one direction or the other. My 2 cents.

Keep us posted

Phil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts