Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have tried searching around the forum but have come up short. Has anyone tried swapping a Gen 1 steering wheel with one from a Gen 2? Just curious because I have a 2006 300c SRT8 and my dad has a Gen 2 300s which has a much nicer steering wheel in my opinion. My current wheel is really struggling so I have to get a new one anyway. Thank you!

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
I believe any controls in the steering wheel, plus the airbag functions, on your car will be based on an earlier CANBUS version so the 2nd gen steering wheel controls won't work. Physically it should work but you would lose some functionality and a primary safety device.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe any controls in the steering wheel, plus the airbag functions, on your car will be based on an earlier CANBUS version so the 2nd gen steering wheel controls won't work. Physically it should work but you would lose some functionality and a primary safety device.
That is what I was thinking. However I do a lot of wiring for machines, and shouldn't the wheel buttons just be a simple open and close circuit? I am not sure about airbag functionality, I do not know much about those.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So did you ever swap it? I need to know if it worked because I'm thinking about the same thing and if it does work, then win win, man.
I have yet to swap it. However, I have seen it done multiple times across a few forums. I know the new air bag is compatible if you swap your harness connector. A couple of guys have mounted the old steering buttons in a different location (IE. on the kick panel). I think the spline fits, but something has to be ground down on the wheel so it slides in all the way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts