Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's it, I've decided to call the dealer today with regards to this issue. The steering wheel vibrates fairly noticable when the car is merging into the highway at about 60-70 mph. I've been watching it for about 1600 miles and has not subsided yet, gotten worse. THe car only has 2300 miles on it! WTF!

The symptoms are the following:

The steering wheel vibrates and feels loose, worse at about 62-65mph about half inch of travel. It feels like the tires are not gripping although there is no drop in performance. The vibration is like you're going over very small speed traps or a more appropriate example is going over a road that has small symmetrical aberrations and the steering wheel obsorbs them. It doesn't pull the car to the left or right, so it doesn't effect the performance. It does it whether you're accelarating or slowing down. Its worse when you slow down.
there are no vibrations before or after this speed interval, the steering wheel is rock solid!

I've been reading some of the other posts similar issues but am unsure of the solution. Anyone had this problem? If yes, how is it corrected if correctable at all? Anywhere I should direct the dealer, cause I'm probably going to get "its normal BS"?

Any advice is appreciated before I make the phone call.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LWOOD said:
Agreed...you need to have all four wheels balance...might as well rotate them at the same time.
Got to love the advise you get on this forum!

Called to schedule an appointment and explained to the Service Advisor the problem and he said it sounded like a wheel balance issue. He said that the car is too new to have this issue so must be that it must have been out of balance when I got it! Hopefully they should do it free otherwise I'll make a big deal out of it until they do the balancing for free.

Scheduled to go in Friday. We'll see if they fix it. Thanks LWOOD and Chamby1.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Junk Tires

Its the "Junk Tires" that Chrysler put on the car as OEM and the OEM of the tires will not help. At 21K I can't run 75mph. It I do the steering wheel will shake so bad that it feels like its about ready to leave the car. BTW it became worse when I rotated the tires. And we won't even speak of the uneven wear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
mspeasl said:
Its the "Junk Tires" that Chrysler put on the car as OEM and the OEM of the tires will not help. At 21K I can't run 75mph. It I do the steering wheel will shake so bad that it feels like its about ready to leave the car. BTW it became worse when I rotated the tires. And we won't even speak of the uneven wear.
mspeasl, I tend to agree. Do you have the self-sealing Continentals? I have them and I think that is what is causing my vibration. Yes, it is an imbalance issue, but what caused it? The lousy tires! I've never had to rebalance wheels prior to replacing tires on any other vehicle I've had, so to me, it is something with these tires.

As far as the uneven wear, I had mine in for the right pull at around 5,000 miles. Outer edges of the tires were feathering rather badly. They aligned and rotated the tires and I no longer have any noticeable wear differences between the front and rear.

Or, maybe you just mean you can't keep from doing burnouts? :banana:

·
Registered
169 Posts
HemiHog said:
Or, maybe you just mean you can't keep from doing burnouts? :banana:
I'm 63 and to old and the wear is to uneven even for that.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just another opinion for what ever it's worth.

The original wheel balancing is the best! If you rotate the tires even once, you lose it.

"Kings" suggested something that has become a rare specialty service. That is to have the wheels balanced on the car. BUT if you do this, you must remember to NEVER rotate the tires and mark EXACTLY which stud on the rotor matches which hole on the rim. The wheel becomes synchronized with the rest of the "axle, rotor, studs, rim etc". It becomes balanced as one unit. This is the best option if you understand the implications. Addition to this, some specialty shops will actually have the tires stretched and cut on a lathe for you. Although this takes a little tread life out of the tire it will give you a better ride. Someone wise once mentioned to me, " I can balance a brick" but you sure can't ride on it.

In summary, the above option is extreme unless you really love a smooth ride.

The reality is most service centers use the "off the car" balancing appliance. Regardless what they tell you, they are balancing a BRICK and then bolting it back on your car. Its the best they can do for a reasonable price.

Regarding tread wear, if you rotate the tires you loose the balancing from the factory and MASK the real tread wear.

Below is a link with some pictures of the tire wear if you don't rotate.
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8154
This is after only 40,000 KM on the self sealing Conti's.

In summary to your problem, it could be as simple as one bad pot hole or a excessive touch on a curb that caused one wheel to loose a weight or bend/harm a tire belt causing the vibration. As you likely know, the tire "stretches" as you increase speed and any imperfection in the rubber alignment before or after installation will cause irregular stretching giving you vibrations at distinct speeds. It could be as severe as a rim being bent. Since you describe it as being in the steering wheel, it is likely in the front tires. Do a visual inspection and look for actual damage, you may get lucky. You could try the tire balancing but if it doesn't go away you may need to replace parts. Start with the tires and if the problem continues you may need to replace the rim etc.

Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
300c Owner said:
Just another opinion for what ever it's worth.

The original wheel balancing is the best! If you rotate the tires even once, you lose it.

"Kings" suggested something that has become a rare specialty service. That is to have the wheels balanced on the car. BUT if you do this, you must remember to NEVER rotate the tires and mark EXACTLY which stud on the rotor matches which hole on the rim. The wheel becomes synchronized with the rest of the "axle, rotor, studs, rim etc". It becomes balanced as one unit. This is the best option if you understand the implications. Addition to this, some specialty shops will actually have the tires stretched and cut on a lathe for you. Although this takes a little tread life out of the tire it will give you a better ride. Someone wise once mentioned to me, " I can balance a brick" but you sure can't ride on it.

In summary, the above option is extreme unless you really love a smooth ride.

The reality is most service centers use the "off the car" balancing appliance. Regardless what they tell you, they are balancing a BRICK and then bolting it back on your car. Its the best they can do for a reasonable price.

Regarding tread wear, if you rotate the tires you loose the balancing from the factory and MASK the real tread wear.

Below is a link with some pictures of the tire wear if you don't rotate.
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8154
This is after only 40,000 KM on the self sealing Conti's.

In summary to your problem, it could be as simple as one bad pot hole or a excessive touch on a curb that caused one wheel to loose a weight or bend/harm a tire belt causing the vibration. As you likely know, the tire "stretches" as you increase speed and any imperfection in the rubber alignment before or after installation will cause irregular stretching giving you vibrations at distinct speeds. It could be as severe as a rim being bent. Since you describe it as being in the steering wheel, it is likely in the front tires. Do a visual inspection and look for actual damage, you may get lucky. You could try the tire balancing but if it doesn't go away you may need to replace parts. Start with the tires and if the problem continues you may need to replace the rim etc.

Good luck.
300c Owner,

Great Advise! I also think that the factory is probably going to have the best balancing. One additional question for you. Since I have the AWD version of the C I should be able to get a few more miles than 40K w/o rotaiton? I do not have the the self sealing, I have some 4x4 contact continentals. they ride really smooth, but I think 225 are little flimsy for this car. 245 or 255 would be a lot better.

Funny thing is that I'm thinking of canceling the appointment all together. I checked the pressure and they were all out of whack. 3-4 psi under on all of them. I filled them up and its hard for me to notice the vibration now. As is right now is torelable/almost unnoticable, so I'm thinking they are probably going to screw it up and I'm going to get it worst than when it went in. They have a state of the art collision center, just build it last year so hopefully they'll have some nice balancing equipment. I'll just go talk to them and if I don't get a knowledgable tech, I leave it as is.

Tsottile,

I'm going to bitch at Chrysler not the dealer. I once got a check in the mail for $16.95 from Chrysler because the valve on one of my Jeep tires was leaking after a year. They gave me the run around on the phone, then I wrote them a letter, two weeks later I got a check in the mail. I was polite but firm on my demand. I'm a firm believer in letters to the right people, they have produced results for me time and time again. The hard part is finding who to write the letter to, but just a little research and you'll get the right person. Its not the money, its a matter of principle! They cover it bumper to bumper for 36K. Within this period they pay for any fault of workmanship or defects, after that I get stuck with the tab and I've never asked them to cover any costs after 36K, so why would they ask me to cover any during 36k?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Regarding your question about 40k and no rotation:
Answer: YES, for several reasons.
- First, you likely took delivery in the 2005 of the AWD by which time Chrysler should have fixed some of the toe-in issues causing excessive wear on the outside front tires;
- Second, AWD should naturally result in less toe-in since the front wheels will be pulling the car causing natural toe-out pull.
- Third, AWD will be much less likely to spin the rear tires at every STOP sign causing early wear on the rear tires.
- Fourth, the non-sealing tires will be much less "stiff / rigid" and therefore fit the contour of the road more evenly, again causing more even wear.
There are likely more reasons but those come to mind immediately.

Word of caution, watch the tire pressure. On my rear wheel drive the tire pressure was definitely too high based on factory specifications (dealer serviced every 5000 KM). If you check the picture on the rear wheel, you can see the centre is already down to the wear bar while the outside edges appear much less worn. Note, in your AWD case, the rear tire pressure could likely be a few pounds lower than factory spec. but I would keep the front tires up to spec. unless you see the similar centre wear. The extra weight of the AWD on the front should require the additional few lbs.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I learned about on the car balancing many years ago from a guy who had it done on his Alfa Milano Verde. I could never keep a balance on my 87 300E, multiple balances sometimes at two different Tire Americas in the same week, the second one saying "your balance is way off" I replied "I just had it balanced at the other TA on Saturday", "oh, you must have thrown a weight". When I discovered on the car balancing it was perfect and I did not rotate or balance ever again and sold the car with 35K more miles on the MXV4s still in good shape. It made 177hp and 188tq, with the rears powering and the fronts steering I had no uneven wear problems (helps to have a great tire too).

·
Registered
169 Posts
mspeasl said:
Gang,

I purchased these tires from Discount Tire this past week (Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 235/60/18's) and had them put on my car. However, I've had to make two trips to the dealer to have my computer reset for this size tire. (There is no setting in our ECM to cover this size) After a little research the dealers Tech and I discovered that the SRT-8 rear tire and this tire is the almost the same size. When you go out to the Interstate and time the car between mile posts, it comes out correctly. The rear size for the SRT-8 is 255/45/20 and that's the size you will want to set your ECM to. So far these tires have exceeded my expectations for ride and comfort......... :)

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
vibration while merging

rbb2000 said:
Got to love the advise you get on this forum!

Called to schedule an appointment and explained to the Service Advisor the problem and he said it sounded like a wheel balance issue. He said that the car is too new to have this issue so must be that it must have been out of balance when I got it! Hopefully they should do it free otherwise I'll make a big deal out of it until they do the balancing for free.

Scheduled to go in Friday. We'll see if they fix it. Thanks LWOOD and Chamby1.
Did the problem get fixed? I have a similar issue when driving on a freeway curve at about 70 or 75 mph. On straightline, there is no vibration, just on the more than slight turn such as required for a curve on the freeway (and likely the merge you mentioned).

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Chicago300C said:
Did the problem get fixed? I have a similar issue when driving on a freeway curve at about 70 or 75 mph. On straightline, there is no vibration, just on the more than slight turn such as required for a curve on the freeway (and likely the merge you mentioned).

Thanks!
Do you have contis? How many miles? If you do have the conti tires then there are dozens of threads from owners posting terrible performance issues. If you don’t have many miles you may want to consider the balancing that is mentioned in this older thread. If you've got a lot of miles you may need to consider new tires. Good luck and keep us advised what happens. :fing02:

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
srt8danno said:
Do you have contis? How many miles? If you do have the conti tires then there are dozens of threads from owners posting terrible performance issues. If you don’t have many miles you may want to consider the balancing that is mentioned in this older thread. If you've got a lot of miles you may need to consider new tires. Good luck and keep us advised what happens. :fing02:
Thanks, I have 31K miles on 3 tires (Conti). I just replaced the 4th tire due to a flat (which isn't supposed to have happened!) with a new Continental tire (same brand, make, etc.). I will get them balanced in the near future and see if that fixes it and get back to you all. Thanks for the good luck wishes!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just bought a brand new 2006 300C (not an SRT). I picked it up last week and I have the stock Goodyear (GY) 18" tires on them. From the first day I drove off the lot last Monday (car only had 27 miles on it) the car needed wheel alignment and wheel balancing. I took the car back the next day and they got the alignment done perfectly. Now the steering is stragith as an arrow. However, the same vibration in the steering never got better. After driving the car for the past few days I noticed at highway speeds the car vibrated through the steering wheel. It happens at highway speeds of 60+ MPH and my steering shakes extremely way too much.

Today,I had enough (keep in mind I've only had the car a week) and I took the car back to the dealer. The service advisor pulled me aside (away from the other customers and employees) and got me alone. He said he didn't want to mention this in front of the other customers and employees, but he feels after year's of experience that many many 300C customers complain about the GY tires. Therefore, he strongly believes a new set of Conti's will be a much smoother ride without vibration. In fact I think they have had problems balancing the GY tires. Prior to this conversation with the service guy, I spoke to the sales guy who told me that since the Conti's are Germany's "cheap" tire, that is the reason why Chrysler has used them in the past, but are now going to all GY on the 18" stock 300C tires. I find that hard to believe since VW, BMW, and Mercedes all use Contis.

Anyway, what do you all think? The service advisor has my car overnight and tomorrow he is going to swap a new set of Contis off of another new car for my "bad" GY tires. SHould I go with that or demand new GY tires. I previously had Conti's on my 1998 Passat and thought they rode beautifully, albeit they do wear out fast.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Not sure what to say, I had Conti's and they are terrible. (I had them on my Audi A4 and they were terrible too). The GY Assurance has been fantastic for me and my brother rides those on his 300C as well. Is he going to charge you for the Conti's? If so, that's crap. You shouldn't have to pay if the steering wheel's vibrating that badly. Keep track of how many times you've tried to fix the car so you can return it (lemon law) in case need be.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts