Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You all probably have noticed an increase in the Stickies listed in the various categories. The reason for this is that this board culls itself out from time to time. And Stickies are not subject to that culling out; that's why they are "sticky." :^))

So, I have picked out topics/threads within categories that have had at least 30 posts to this point and genuinely appear to have a future interest value to all and should be retained indefinitely. Limit per category currently is a maximum of 5 stickies.

We don't want to get carried away with this because disk space may still be taken up unnecessarily by posts within the sticky thread which aren't necessary. Such posts will be removed for space conservation from time to time.

Anyone noticing any other threads which should be saved under these criteria, please get in touch. A huge amount of valuable data has been developed which should be not be lost to us.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey miles,

I think the stickies are getting slightly too much now. I have to scroll down in the general 300c forum to get to the new posts. I realize what you are trying to get at, but I think it is best to keep the more recent/relevant topics stickied (1-3 threads) and people can search for the older ones.

Or make a sticky with the relevant threads, etc and for new members to use search.

·
Registered
170 Posts
How about a FAQ? The link at the top seems to be busted. :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The "stickies" seem to be helping but I agree there can be a point where too much is too much. I check it daily and will continue to try to get the hest mix so we can find our very popular threads easily.

One big thing we must all do -- look and think -- before engaging keyboard; find the appropriate thread and add to it. Begin a new one only if needed.

There are just too many threads about the same thing. Particularly so in the case of wheels, tires, etc. I recently combined two threads on Blue Tooth that were going off in divergent ways but both had excellent info that shouldn't be so hard to find. Take a look at the "Active Topics" listing and see what I mean.

Have you tried to use the "view new posts" search just under your log on name each time you enter the board? That not only will list all new posts since you were last on, but also will list the stickies first, making them very easy to find.

Also, go into the Control Panel and turn on the feature whereby you can have the board notify you by e-mail of new posts to your subscriptions. You'll find that to be very worthwhile.

Another quick way to locate threads is to go to the Welcome Screen (where you arrive on the board) and go to each category. Note that they are in heavier print. Hit each one in any order. You'll receive a screen which will list all threads in every such category, stickies first. That should answer any problems about location of threads.

Appreciate your comments. Hope these comments helped your movement around the forums.

On FAQ's, I agree they are needed as are Rules and some kind of reminder upon entering to check them and FAQ's. They are being designed and are coming.

Good ideas, both, and thanks for the input.

Please keep me posted; we aim to please, but above all, to make locating threads and their info easier.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey Guys,

I gotta voice the concern with there being way too many stickies again. In the visual mod forum, I have to scroll down quite a bit just to get to the other topics. I do not feel just because it is a popular topic it should be stickied, but rather just important/unique topics. For example there are several 22inch rim threads, etc.

I am not trying to be a pain or anything, just from other msg boards and stuff, this can get kinda of distracting and annoying when there are so many stickies.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
OK, I agree that the Visual Modifications category is becoming very full of many similar threads. Part of the reason is that I have been hesitant to merge some of them. However, in an effort to cut down of divergent threads saying the same thing, I will attempt to merge them ASAP.

BTW, with very few exceptions, all stickies must qualify with at least 30 posts before being stuck. Exceptions are very important things such as how to recover from a battery disconnect. But less than 30 posts is definitely the exception.

You should note that we now have almost 600 registered members, over 855 threads, and 9340 posts. The forums definitely are growing and we are barely 4 months old.

If you have any specific thread merges in mind, please let me know ASAP. For example, I will probably merge to the titles of something like "New Wheels", "!8's", "20's", "22's", "Other sizes", and so forth in an attempt to cut down on reptitiveness.

Appreciate any ideas you may have.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Did you try reading here in this category for "stickies'?

I'm not aware of any 'super elite' members, just mostly persons with good manners who follow the rules.

But it does help if you would read the rules and look around a bit. Most of your questions probably have already been answered and published. If not, just give me a buzz w/o the s/a remarks; I'll be happy to answer reasonable repeated questions anytime.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
Hi Miles,
I find the stickies very useful, but here are a tad too many.

How about starting a Topic on Cleaning and Detailing as I notice hundreds of posts, many asking the same questions over again?

BTW, you are doing a great job.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
A new category plus some other modifications to the forum titles are being considered.

The new category probably will be called "Maintenance", for discussion of the kind of things you stated.

Thanks for the kind remarks.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
E55 KEV said:
I hate the stickies also! I want to see all the current threads and topics listed at the top. I hate having to scroll down to see whats really new. :confused:
You really don't have to scroll and fish around for posts, the s/w of this board is much more sophisticated.

Newest posts, both in stickies and non-stickies are always listed on the top in any forum. They will be blackened until you read them, greyed out when you have finished.

Also, under your logon name and avatar on the first panel upon signing in, there is a statement "View New Posts Since Last Visit", click on that and all new posts which you haven't read will be set up immediately. Ones not yet read will be blackened. Those are the ones which are new to you at that moment. Simply go down that list, reading at your convenience. They will gray out when read.

You can also have an extract of all new posts to which you subscribe sent to your home daily at your own computer after midnight. This will alert you as to new posts in all threads in which you have already posted. These notifications will actually take you directly to these new posts.

Also, in each forum, a black arrow in the first column indicates that there is new traffic in that forum. Blackened ones are ones you haven't read yet. If no new posts in that forum, that arrow will be greyed out.

When looking for new posts in a forum, to get the first post of the forum, click on the forum title. To get the last post, click on the icon in the Last Post column.

If you don't have these options presently, you will need to go into your personal area and enable them as you please.

Lastly, to ensure this all works correctly, go to the Quick Links column at the top of the page, click on "Mark Forums Read". This way anything added AFTER you leave your session will be highlighted (blackened) for your next session.

Pretty neat.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Since I discovered the "View new posts since last visited" about 2 months ago, that is all I use. It is wonderful :) There is only one downside. If you don't finish reading through all the unread posts in one sitting, and come back later, the previously remaining unread/blackened threads no longer appear.

The only recommendation would be to create a Sticky Archive folder and move all the older stickies that havn't had any posts, say in the last 30 days, to the Sticky Archive folder. This would keep the number of Stickies to a minimum.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
To retain a certain place, just don't log out when you leave the board. All will be as you left it when you come back (short of a power failure at the server which rarely has happened). Likewise, if you read the boards often enough, you should be able to catch up in a relatively short session.

On the other hand, do not hit the load button (300C Forums) at any time prior to being finished reading during a session, that will lose all previous threads held for you to read and you must start over from scratch. Instead, get into the habit of using your browser's Back button. It will also get ou back to where you were.

Regarding a sticky archive folder, the board does that automatically at an appropriate time. Stickies are set up BECAUSE the info therein tends to be useful and/or important.

Who knows who will sign on next looking for some specific info we've just moved out of easy sight. Take a good hard look at the stickies in each forum -- close to 60 % of them are repeats of an already existing subject, usually placed in the wrong category initially. If more consideration were made in making the posts initially, close to half of the stickies could be merged just on that fact alone.

The solution to this proliferation problem is to educate ALL our members and newbies to post in existing compatible threads in a proper forum for the subject matter and not keep starting new ones haphazardly. That is the real problem.

This board is growing like wildfire and will continue to do so just as long as members and potential members can find what they want or need. Moving info to an archive won't solve that problem.

All persons need to begin early to read the Active Topics category, too. Search does a reasonable job of finding stuff which should be added to rather than begin a new thread if the subject is already covered. A new thread should be a serious undertaking and not done until making sure that the info to be posted isn't already there or similar info to that proposed to be entered.

The more threads we develop, the more the board gets snowed under.

All of this has been covered well in the RULES. IMO, they aren't being read. If so, they aren't being followed.

Under consideration is a requirement for all new members to read the rules as a condition of entry plus development of some new forums and/or rename some of the existing ones.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Miles,
I agree in theory with you that new users should first look around and search the topics, but as time goes on many of the older threads may not be relevant anymore. I also think new (and old) members will get "scared away" from posting if every time they post a question they get scolded/reminded to first search the other threads. New members are the life blood and we should make it OK to start new threads. If someone knows of a previous/similar thread with info that would add value or answer a question, we can respond by posting the link to their thread. This is just my opinion, but too many etiquette/rules will take away from the fun and enjoyment :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, I can't disagree with you other than to say that this whole problem is nothing new and it has not improved simply because newbies (and some oldies) simply refuse to play the game.

Boards have always had this problem; once the "hang" of the board is developed, things do get better. But we all need to keep persons on track.

Unfortunately the RULES were late in being published. That is part of that problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
joey said:
Since I discovered the "View new posts since last visited" about 2 months ago, that is all I use. It is wonderful :)
I'll second that! It's all I use now as well. There really are very few new items coming up that haven't had fairly lengthy discussions in the past. Using this feature let's you spot interesting new stuff very quickly. If there are older threads out there that I want to relocate, I can usually find them using "Search" and a keyword(s) specific enough to shorten the search list.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Yeah, I use the "New Post" link but it is not perfect. For Example - I go to new post and there are 30 new posts and I only have time to read 3 or 4 and I have to shut down Internet Explorer or the PC. When I come back in a minute or 2 the new post are now 3 and I lost all original 27 of the first set of 30 new posts. Then I am force into each section and have to scroll down past all those darn "Stickies" and hunt for all the titles of post that I think are new.

I vote to get rid of the Stickies.:D

Damn Miles, your post are always just too long to read - I am a skimmer. Very verbose! :D

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's part of your problem -- you don't read and then miss some pertinent stuff. I gave you a solution -- if you don't want to use it, that's fine with me.

This short enough for you?

Peace.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
mileshoover said:
That's part of your problem -- you don't read and then miss some pertinent stuff. I gave you a solution -- if you don't want to use it, that's fine with me.

This short enough for you?

Peace.
Just because it is long does not mean it is useful too all! Most of your posted diatribes offer 'me' no benefit. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.