Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my car but I'm starting to get bothered by the occasional clunky downshift (sometimes upshift) and they seem to happen

1: under light braking around 25-40mph
2: after a sudden lift off of WOT
3: when barely on the throttle in traffic

I expect the upshifts to be hard and I knew that before I bought the car as that was the "Con" point of every review on these cars, I'd rather have durability over finesse anyway.
I've only got 26000kms on it. (I think it primarily happens when in ECO mode)
I'm gonna try driving in only Sport for a while and see how it acts.
Other than that my read speaker deck was loose and rattily from factory and the drivers window switch had to be replaced cause it was going down when I hit up. Other than that the car is amazing!

Anyway I greatly appreciate your feedback :)

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Do you have a tuner for it? I had some similar happenings with my gen 1 and used the tuner to firm up shifts...now that happens rarely. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Any updates on the clunk?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 300c with v6 and 8 speed transmission. The transmission down shifts very had from 2nd to 1st. I took it to the dealer and they ordered a new valve body for the tranny that is not yet installed. The rep did not have much confidence that this would fix the problem. If it does not, the next step is a new transmission. Chrysler needs to take ownership of this problem and fix it. I am not the only one that has this problem.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry about the late update guys but here it is, and to (MADDOGG) I believe it was from 4th gear going into 3rd on light deceleration.

I started driving my car a lot harder this summer and became close friends with WOT, learn to embrace it, not fear it like I did the first 8months of owning this car.
The clunky shift gradually went away to the point I felt it once in 2 months of driving.
I was booked for some road course lapping and a mechanic suggested I change out the stock (mineral based atf+4 and diff fluid for some MOTUL race spec atf+4 and 70-140 diff fluid.

Let me tell you the difference is amazing!!!! It is even more solid shifting from Reverse-Drive, barely any noticeable movement. Driving around the shifts are much smoother especially in 1st-2nd before the torque converter locks up. And full throttle shifts feel as if they should, I'm soo much happier after putting MOTUL in my car, and I mean, it makes sense for Chrysler LLC to use the cheapest, appropriate fluids they can when sending cars out the factory door. They'd probably go broke if they filled every car with Royal Purple or etc. 2 bottles of motul LS diff fluid was 150$

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
^^thanks man^^

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Sorry about the late update guys but here it is, and to (MADDOGG) I believe it was from 4th gear going into 3rd on light deceleration.

I started driving my car a lot harder this summer and became close friends with WOT, learn to embrace it, not fear it like I did the first 8months of owning this car.
The clunky shift gradually went away to the point I felt it once in 2 months of driving.
I was booked for some road course lapping and a mechanic suggested I change out the stock (mineral based atf+4 and diff fluid for some MOTUL race spec atf+4 and 70-140 diff fluid.

Let me tell you the difference is amazing!!!! It is even more solid shifting from Reverse-Drive, barely any noticeable movement. Driving around the shifts are much smoother especially in 1st-2nd before the torque converter locks up. And full throttle shifts feel as if they should, I'm soo much happier after putting MOTUL in my car, and I mean, it makes sense for Chrysler LLC to use the cheapest, appropriate fluids they can when sending cars out the factory door. They'd probably go broke if they filled every car with Royal Purple or etc. 2 bottles of motul LS diff fluid was 150$

Is the MOTUL BETTER than the Royal Purple?? That's what I have in now. I'm wondering if I should swap it. Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Yes for extreme duty or race applications MOTUL spec fluids are good. Just a word of caution, not all MOTUL fluids are good for the street, brake fluid for example, it takes on moisture more than a standard fluid and will cause a dead pedal on you over a relatively short time. Amazing fluid at the track, just bleed the brakes before a race! But for what the op is saying, I could see MOTUL fluids working well, however I feel his issue was probably a small combo of things primarily fluid and filter.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Rob you don't see an issue with me trying that is the rear diff then? Ironically, the firmer I set with the tuner, The more often a clunk on declaration happens (right around 20 mph.) thoughts?

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
It's pretty common to have the clunk with a firm shift schedule bud... it firms up upsift and downshift, so it's going to be a bit more clunky. My solution was to use a tranzformer and use soft settings for auto and tighter schedule for autostick.

Certainly no reason not to use the MOTUL diff fluid bud, should help with extreme temps... honestly unless it's road course use I probably would not bother but it's worth a try if you want pal, certainly can't hurt.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I'll put that toward a tranZformer then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts