Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its -1 here in albany NY my steering is super stiff, is this normal , its seem stiff at 20 degrees or lower checked the p.s fluid level seems ok

·
Registered
248 Posts
Same with me. I am hoping someone can give some guidance on this issue before I bring it in and am told the "can't replicate" because it is too warm.

·
Registered
378 Posts
sounds like the stering wheel boot problem that alot of the early build 300 had. There is a tsb out on it, however when i went in for it after the boot was changed it got worse and my stering wheel started to grind took it in again they said it needed to be re lubricated but same problem i havnt since had time to go back but i will be taking it back to the dealer next week, soo yeah basicly the sterring wheel boot initially and who knows after that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have the same problem but does anyone know if they have an update to this TSB since it covers the 2005s but I have a 2006 CSRT?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am out of waranty so if its not a problem I will live with it
can anyone confirm this is no big deal

·
Registered
14 Posts
The lube they use gets cold and stiff makes it hard to steer as the car warms up it works just fine
I do not think it will cause any damage just cold and hard
call the dealer to confirm if it will cause problems

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Its no biggie. My friend has a mercedes clk 500 and the same issue with a stiff er then normal wheel is present when the car is cold. Personally I dont mind it either because even when its "stiff" its not as stiff as the steering on my 02 impala.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The lube they use gets cold and stiff makes it hard to steer as the car warms up it works just fine
I do not think it will cause any damage just cold and hard
call the dealer to confirm if it will cause problems
That is exactly it. Because the fluid is cold and thick it doesn't flow as well in the powersteering pump. Once the car warms up it should be fine. The 300s have under sized powersteering pumps which causes the problem. 3rd and 4th Generation Camaros have they same issue which people call "Morning Sickness". It shouldn't effect any thing. The 300s powersteering pump over heats quickly under extreme driving as well. That is why I'm putting in a powersteering cooler. Won't help me out in the winter though.

·
Registered
378 Posts
i am out of waranty so if its not a problem I will live with it
can anyone confirm this is no big deal
I would geuss how that deppends on how cold it gets in your area call the dealer and see what they say, there probibly going to tell you should have it takein care of since they will make money off it. Since i had mine changed more problems have come up so maby you should leave it alone or you could be doing more damage in the long run maby someone else with a little more knowlegde here can help anwser this.

·
Registered
731 Posts
That is exactly it. Because the fluid is cold and thick it doesn't flow as well in the powersteering pump. Once the car warms up it should be fine. The 300s have under sized powersteering pumps which causes the problem. 3rd and 4th Generation Camaros have they same issue which people call "Morning Sickness". It shouldn't effect any thing. The 300s powersteering pump over heats quickly under extreme driving as well. That is why I'm putting in a powersteering cooler. Won't help me out in the winter though.

I think you are a bit confused. The issue being discussed is the grease in the steering boot. Has nothing to do with the PS pump.

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
The 300s powersteering pump over heats quickly under extreme driving as well. That is why I'm putting in a powersteering cooler. Won't help me out in the winter though.
You already have a fluid cooler. It's a finned fluid to air cooler and it's located in front of the radiator.

I supposs you could use the larger 3 pass SRT8 one though. The standard one is only a 1 pass.

Bernie

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
warm up the car

I have a remote start and if I let the car run for 5mins or so I do not have the problem. If I do not let the car warm up then the steering is 'hard'.

aside from the tb let let her warm up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts