Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for exhaust suggestions. I love the sound of the stock exhaust on the 5.7, but I want a little deeper. Instead of getting a whole new set up, what would you guys recommend doing to the stock ones? I don't want anything too loud, so I don't want a straight pipe. I've also seen people mention glasspacks. Any thoughts on that? I just want the nice deep tone for when I want to get on it, whether it's for fun or hitting the interstate.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Google "you don't need new exhaust. a new mod" with the quotes.

It worked well for me and cost around $25.

·
Registered
756 Posts
What I did on my 05 5.7 Magnum is install an early (06-07) Daytona Charger suitcase muffler (worth about 10 hp. IIRC) which is straight through.....no internal switchbacks. The only other things I've done to the exhaust on it is install JBA shorty headers and install a cutout just in front of the resonators for when I went racing. The cutout didn't do a thing except make more noise......no difference in 1/4 mile times or speeds.

Reactions: CtCarl

·
Registered
590 Posts
What I did on my 05 5.7 Magnum is install an early (06-07) Daytona Charger suitcase muffler (worth about 10 hp. IIRC) which is straight through.....no internal switchbacks. The only other things I've done to the exhaust on it is install JBA shorty headers and install a cutout just in front of the resonators for when I went racing. The cutout didn't do a thing except make more noise......no difference in 1/4 mile times or speeds.
That is a great muffler if you can find one.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yes, I picked mine up back in about 2006 after seeing that about the only difference between the Charger R/T and the Daytona was the exhaust and a few more horsepower. It gives off a slightly different sound than most mufflers but it's not annoying and sounds real good at WOT I bought it from the old Cleveland Pick a Part, now Cleveland Power and Performance. I also got the SRT body kit for my Jeep from them. IMO, a good place to get parts for our rides.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yes, I picked mine up back in about 2006 after seeing that about the only difference between the Charger R/T and the Daytona was the exhaust and a few more horsepower.
Well, there are suspension differences as well as the higher speed limiter. But the muffler and the low-restriction Daytona airbox are where the extra power comes from.

Problem is that today they're almost impossible to find.

I've heard that the early R/T R&T muffler and airbox are the same. No idea if that's true, but it's easy enough to verify. The mufflers have the part number stamped into the case, and you can easily spot the larger intake hole on the Daytona airbox.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have LX SRT8 Air Boxes (may be the same as the Daytona) on all three of mine. Again, I picked all that stuff up a long time ago when everyone was getting rid of them in favor of aftermarket CAI's which, IMO, don't work any better than the SRT/Daytona ones.

·
Administrator
19,719 Posts
Replace the stock "suitcase" muffler for a pair of Magnaflow mufflers. Leave the rest of the system in place.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I used my factory cat back system off my '12 Challenger R/T w/manual trans car, low restriction, 2.5" exhaust tubing instead of the 2.25" stock stuff, had to install a pair of 4" spacers for a total of 8 dollars, had extra clamps from and old Flowmaster system, bolted right up in the factory hangers and gives it a very noticeable idle tone that is deep and has hemi V8 all over it. It is quiet but has a nice growl on acceleration, only drawback is the MDS makes it get a horrid drone at highway speeds which can be bypassed by using sport stick mode, or turn it off with a tuner tool like I did.
Car is a '14 300C w/5.7 hemi.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Well, there are suspension differences as well as the higher speed limiter. But the muffler and the low-restriction Daytona airbox are where the extra power comes from.

Problem is that today they're almost impossible to find.

I've heard that the early R/T R&T muffler and airbox are the same. No idea if that's true, but it's easy enough to verify. The mufflers have the part number stamped into the case, and you can easily spot the larger intake hole on the Daytona airbox.
I guess I now have a Daytona Magnum Plus, as I've put SRT8 suspension under Maggie and reset my speed limiter to 150 mph, plus all the other mods in my signature. I remember, years ago, a guy over on one of the other LX forums took his mildly modified 5.7 up to 170 mph. I've had my modified (like Maggie) Jeep up to 137 mph and the speed limiter set to 140 mph. That's plenty fast for me, and I won't be doing it again anytime soon.

The RT and SRT airboxes are different. The top of the boxes are also different. The stock R/T top is more square and the SRT one is more rounded. The stock R/T muffler looks just like the Daytona muffler, but the insides are where the difference is located. Totally different sound between the two also.

Here are the different boxes/tops. The first one is an almost stock R/T box, but note the second outlet (just to the bottom of the mount bolt) that I added to the front of it. I used an aluminum flex duct from the box to behind the grill.The second and third pictures are of Maggie/s SRT box (blue) and the Jeep's SRT box (green/gold) and, finally, the stock SRT box on my 300 C SRT8.

PB120013.jpg
DSCN0995.jpg
DSCN1000 (600 x 450).jpg
P4030010.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am very happy with my setup. Left the stock pipes, but removed the mids and replaced them with SpinTech Pro Street 6000s and removed the rear resonators. If I do this correctly, you'll be able to hear a sound clip ---------> SpinTech Install

·
Registered
8 Posts
Left stock pipes and had the shop bend pipes to replace the mid (suitcase)muffler, rumbles nicely with no drone! And for the best part...$80. No need to spend a bunch of money unless it makes you feel better...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts