Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I jumped on the bandwagon and ordered a set of HID low beams for my Charger, order placed at about 4:30 AM, 2-20-2008, with HIDGATE, on eBAY.

A lot of people on here and chargerforums.com have ordered from him, and most people have had to sign for the package.

My kit was sent with no sig. required.

According to the USPS website, the package was delivered to my house on 2-23-2008 at 9:08 AM.

I worked that day until 3PM, and I got home at about 3:30, found no package.

Following day I check the website nd it updated with the 2-23-2008 delivery info, so now I go back outside looking for the package at both entrances of my appt. building, the close-by buildings in my appt complex (in case it was left at the wrong building by mistake), and nothing.

Sent e-mails to HIDGATE, and apparently, that astronomical $48 shipping fee DOESNT INCLUDE INSURANCE, so he's telling me to check with my neighbours, and to check with the post office.

I did check with the post office and now they're throwing the blame back on the seller / shipper (understandably) as it should've been sent requiring a signature.

Meanwhile I was stuck working on a Saturday that I didn't even make $72 on, and now I'm out that $72 with nothing to show for it (and I was helping out by working due to personnel shortage, I should've had the day off)

I really think that HIDGATE should step up and sent out another kit, this time requiring a signature, or send it to my work, where I'm at over 10 hrs a day.

Anybody think I'm being unreasonable ?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just had this happen with Fed Ex and I called them and the package showed up the following day. I assumed the driver liked what I had shipped and put it as received? I would recommend that you ship to your work from now on. Either the driver took the item or someone took it from your doorstep (or wherever it was delivered). I would also talk to your mailman and see where he left it. It may still be there as sometimes they hide it.

BTW, the high shipping charge is so that the seller can have less ebay fees and ebay charges sellers based on the item's value.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
1.) Why didn't you ask for signature required release on your shipment. don't assume, ask them.

2.) Why didn't you ask for insurance. Don't assume...actually ask them.

3.) Why did you have it shipped to an address where no one is going to be home, and at an apartment building?

They did their job, and they don't really need to send anything to you. They already did their end of the job and why should they take a loss because you didn't do the proper inquires on your end.

Sorry bud, they don't owe you a thing.

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
...They did their job, and they don't really need to send anything to you...
I disagree...

Their "policy" per insurance is contradictory. In one area of the listing, in small print, they state:

"We are not responsible for lost, stolen, damaged package if buyer did not purchase shipping insurance."

But at the end of the page under "Shipping insurance" it is stated "NOT OFFERED".

A DECENT seller would provide mandatory insurance coverage to protect both the buyer and the seller and all the hassles that come with a lost package, or in the least make it VERY CLEAR that the buyer assumes all risk - not just via some tiny type buried within the listing.

I have sold a ton of stuff on ebay over the years. In cases where I have shipped USPS I have always offered insurance, most of the time included in the shipping prices. In a few instances where I have made insurance optional, if a buyer did not purchase the insurance I sent out a special email making it very clear that they were assuming all liability.

·
Registered
979 Posts
i could be wrong but at my usps they cover the first $100 for insurance. That is why they ask you is your item worth more than 100. If you say if so then they charge u like a few extra bucks for the item.

VIPnathan your pretty much right on with the shipping being high to cover ebays astronimical rates and paypal fees (explains the boycot going on right now with the power sellers). But someone else to consider sometimes shipping costs reflect some of the price of the product. They may make the product look very enticing with dirt cheap price but then they get you on shipping to make up for it.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
I disagree...

Their "policy" per insurance is contradictory. In one area of the listing, in small print, they state:

"We are not responsible for lost, stolen, damaged package if buyer did not purchase shipping insurance."

But at the end of the page under "Shipping insurance" it is stated "NOT OFFERED".

A DECENT seller would provide mandatory insurance coverage to protect both the buyer and the seller and all the hassles that come with a lost package, or in the least make it VERY CLEAR that the buyer assumes all risk - not just via some tiny type buried within the listing.

I have sold a ton of stuff on ebay over the years. In cases where I have shipped USPS I have always offered insurance, most of the time included in the shipping prices. In a few instances where I have made insurance optional, if a buyer did not purchase the insurance I sent out a special email making it very clear that they were assuming all liability.
You proved my point, they stated that they are not responsible for lost items without insurance and that insurance was not offered.

So, it was stated in the auction. This is a case of a buyer not reading the auction and taking the steps to secure his purchase.

Everything was spelled out and if it isn't in bold capital letters, it doesn't matter.

The buyer didn't take the necessary steps to secure the transaction and if they steps and options are not available, YOU DON'T BUY IT.

No one held a gun to his head and forced him to purchase the product without purchasing insurance or making sure it was offered, or making sure there was someone at hom to get the package or confirming before the auction closed that he could purchase insurance.

There is a thing called buyer beware. He bought it, they shipped it as listed in their auction and now they don't have any liability.

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
...There is a thing called buyer beware...
Yes, how unfortunate it is that buyers so often have to go out of their way to make sure they are not going to get screwed, but what else is new. Sure, it may have been the buyers "fault" in this situation, but as I stated a seller with any decency or concern would have made the insurance disclaimer in large text or boxed text and not buried in the middle of the listing. The seller should not have any "loopholes". Insurance is just a couple bucks, why not included it in the sale?

I have a problem with any seller on ebay who charges excessive shipping charges, whether outright or whether it's done to cheat the ebay fee system. For the latter, it says a lot about the integrity of the seller. These are the sellers that you would typically want to avoid, I know I do. It should be a two way street. The buyer should "look out" for the seller AND the seller should "look out" for the buyer.

I was involved in mail-order sales for more than 30 years, and considering the amount of product I have shipped, very few packages have been lost. For the ones that have been, I have replaced them at my own expense, whether insurance was paid for or not. THAT is just good business.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I'm not getting any satisfaction from HIDGATE, so I've started a dispute with PayPal.

I'm not gonna let this go.

He's cheating eBay out of comissions by selling a product very cheap and then making up any losses through the shipping fees which at $48 for a $24 product, are astronomical, and don't include insurance.

I keep being told that the seller has to make sure that the buyer actually receives the advertised /described item ... he did't make sure of this ... he shipped out something and then stopped caring immediately.

He's avoiding eBay fees which is a no-no with eBay, so I'll be pursuing this with eBay too.

·
Registered
470 Posts
damm that sucks. i feel the same way. thats why i always ask for a signature. b/c you never know who's looking to steal your stuff. good luck.

·
Registered
293 Posts
i could be wrong but at my usps they cover the first $100 for insurance. That is why they ask you is your item worth more than 100. If you say if so then they charge u like a few extra bucks for the item.

VIPnathan your pretty much right on with the shipping being high to cover ebays astronimical rates and paypal fees (explains the boycot going on right now with the power sellers). But someone else to consider sometimes shipping costs reflect some of the price of the product. They may make the product look very enticing with dirt cheap price but then they get you on shipping to make up for it.

If USPS insures the first $100 why doesn't the seller just put in a claim?
I know Fedex and UPS do the same. Well at least LESSON learned for next time! Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
this is unfortunate. with USPS there is no insurance unless the shipper pays for it. UPS offers $100 with every package.

we sell kits on Amazon.com and this just happened to us. a buyer claims the package never arrived. we had USPS investigate it. there was no signature guarantee, just delivery confirmation. after one week USPS confirmed the package was delivered.

the buyer was not satisfied and we refunded their money. so contrary to some opinions, Amazon says it is the responsibility of the seller to ensure the package is delivered. so from now on, we require signature guarantee.

paypal is a good place to start. i would investigate any recourse you have with eBay as part of their selling agreements with listers. do not accept a refund from the seller unless it is for the total purchase (including shipping).

i hope the HIDGate makes this right.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
1.) Why didn't you ask for signature required release on your shipment. don't assume, ask them.

2.) Why didn't you ask for insurance. Don't assume...actually ask them.

3.) Why did you have it shipped to an address where no one is going to be home, and at an apartment building?

They did their job, and they don't really need to send anything to you. They already did their end of the job and why should they take a loss because you didn't do the proper inquires on your end.

Sorry bud, they don't owe you a thing.
n3c, this is not how e-commerce works. many online intermediaries have rules to enforce that the seller delivers an item. we just had to eat $100 for a kit that was not received by the buyer, even-though the package was confirmed delivered. the buyer did not ask for insurance, did not ask for sig confirmation, but amazon refunded the purchase to the buyer. for all i know, the buyer got the kit for free.

·
Registered
327 Posts
srt-8 shifter

If USPS insures the first $100 why doesn't the seller just put in a claim?
I know Fedex and UPS do the same. Well at least LESSON learned for next time! Good Luck.
Hey undertheradar I see your selling a srt-8 shifter can you send me a picture? I'm may be interested my email is [email protected]. I am new so I couldn't post on the classified section.

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts