Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One tire was a little low so I used the factory air pump to top it off. After about two minutes the fuse blew. This was plugged into the outlet in at the bottom of the dash. So I switched to the outlet in the center console and continued without an issue.

Normally I have my radar detector plugged into the outlet within the dash. I've always just left the detector on and as I exit the car the power is cut off to the outlet. A week passes and I replace the blown fuse to the dash outlet. Now for some reason the power is constantly on anytime in the dash outlet.

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
Mine did that almost every time I used it for the pump. I realized the cig lighter circuit fuse is a lower amp value than the accessory outlet in the console. You could swap in a higher fuse amp value for that location.

But I don't understand the constant power on problem. Is the fuse in securely or is it straddling two positions?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to the manual and what it was in there both the outlets take a 20 amp fuse. As to the constant on I did check to make sure that the fuse is seated properly and even swapped a few around and still the same problem. Strange.

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
Pretty dang odd and weird problem ya got there.

I found a 5 amp in that position and thought it was the right one, replacing it each time it blew. When I finally read the manual, I realized I had been duped by making an assumption. Once I put in a 20 amp it took a lot to blow it.

Now I don't need to deal with a slow leak on the passenger side rear so I've pretty much left the little pump alone.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
The power outlet (aka LIGHTER-CIGAR) in the dash comes with one fuse that can be installed in either a constant power position or a switched power position. It's fuse #18 (20A) in the trunk's power distribution center. When you pull the current fuse out you will see that the location has three slots to plug a fuse into instead of the usual two. Simply plug the fuse back into the other center/outboard slot pair.

Reactions: BackNBlack

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The power outlet (aka LIGHTER-CIGAR) in the dash comes with one fuse that can be installed in either a constant power position or a switched power position. It's fuse #18 (20A) in the trunk's power distribution center. When you pull the current fuse out you will see that the location has three slots to plug a fuse into instead of the usual two. Simply plug the fuse back into the other center/outboard slot pair.
That was it. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts