Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Popped into my local Chrysler dealership to peruse the 2008 300C facelift model which they still do not have in stock.

I mentioned my interest to one of the 'Sales Executives' and that I was keen to see a 'facelift' model with Lux -Pack before committing. His response was 'sorry sir...there is no 'facelift' model this year.' When I outlined the updated spec of the 2008 year build model inc. revised interior - boot lid - 'bee sting' antenna - revised alloy wheels etc he stated that he did not class those aspects as a 'facelift', stating that he regarded a complete re-design of the vehicle as a 'facelift'.

Seems that he is unable to understand the basic difference between a 'facelift' and a 're-skin!'

He displayed virtually no interest in progressing a future sale with no offer to contact me when the 'facelift' model became available in his premises nor was I presented with his contact details.

I am still keen to progress eventual ownership but it will not be at that particular esablishment.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Geordie , you must have been talking to the stealership's sales prevention officer, they all have at least one . In sales you get taught to listen obviously he ain't listening:pat: his loss man i think.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My local dealership showed no interest whatsoever in selling me a 300c and told me they had none in stock and didn't know when they would be getting any!!!

I went to the next nearest dealership and had a great buying experience!

·
Registered
347 Posts
my local dealership made a mess of the test drive, in fact they sold the car I would be driving and then didnt tell me, I turned up for the drive and they still didnt sort out an alternative or really deal with the problem.

So I wrote a letter of complaint to the dealer principal and several days later got a phone call from the sales manager who was very apologetic went through my concerns, sorted out a new test drive and basically from that moment the service was faultless.

when I went for the test drive he handled it personally and 3 months later I put in an order for a new vehicle from them when they beat the best internet price I could get.

have had no problems with car except wheels which were replaced with no quibble.

so my experience is that sometimes dealerships can turn it around but normally they dont care enough to bother ! but in this case they did

regards

elpirata

·
Premium Member
6,753 Posts
Hi,

It appears dealers that want to pick and choose who they sell a car to. I arranged an appointment with my local dealer for a test drive of a CRD Touring. I went there in my 55 plate Shogun which i would be part exchanging. I done the test drive and voiced that my only concern was fitting my two dogs in the boot and that i wanted my other half to view the car and decide if she thought the boot space was big enough.

Two days later i took her to see the car and she agreed the boot was big enough. I asked the sales exec (as they are called now days) to give me a price on my part ex and he said he would ring around and come back to me with the best price he can get. That was almost a week ago and he still has not called.

It will be interesting to see if he ever calls. I have since been to another dealer and bought one and i am looking forward to collecting it this Monday.

Did the jeans and T-shirt put him off of me or did he think i was a gypsy when i came in a Shogun, lol.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
when I first went to look at a "C" at Cumbo's in Stoke,I went in in my overalls,he asked me if he could help to which i replied that I was interested in the Hemi,he laughed at me and asked me how I was gonna pay for it,so I told him,he laughed again and made some excuse that there were no Hemi's in the country and wouldnt be for 5 months,so I rang Draytons at Wolverhampton and they told me I could have one within 2 weeks,so after 2 weeks Drayton rang me to say they have a Hemi,arranged a test drive and I bought one and took it home 3 days later(private plate change was the reason for the 3 days).I rang Cumbo's to tell them and he said that he couldnt be bothered if I had one or not,thanks pal,well you know what they say about stokies..I mean just take Robbie Williams as an example.lol

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had a salesman try to talk me out of buying my 300srt8. He said the only one they had in stock was the one on the showroom floor, "not the color I wanted" Kept pushing me to buy a 300c. As young boys will do, my 13yr old son went sneaking around and came back and told me the one I wanted was way back in the corner of the service department. SAY WHAT??? I followed him back with the saleman in tow. Sure nuff ther she was!! Still had delivery plastic and all of 6 miles on her. She has all avaliable options and Brilliant black finish. Love at first site! I told them to get the plastic off of her and the paperwork ready. Since they cant sell a car they then tried to sell financing. "WRONG" Stoney don't finance! I wrote them a check and and i'm not going back.

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
3,736 Posts
Did the jeans and T-shirt put him off of me or did he think i was a gypsy when i came in a Shogun, lol.
There could be an element of truth in this. Wayne Rooney was recently shown the door of an up-market dealership when the sales staff didn't recognise him and presumably were not impressed with his garb either.

·
Registered
408 Posts
They could have had some marketing incentives on the C versus the 8 and you would not know about this. The dealer then makes more money so it sounds like they were trying to push you into a more profitable deal for them. If they don't want to sell what you want, I would walk out of there and look for another dealer. Somebody will sell you want you want for your money.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I live in Norway and if you did not but the car from them they have no interest in you ,I asked for a mechanic to show me how to uninstall the fog lights and instead they sent out the secretary who did not have a clue,they will not let you speak to a mechanic in fear you can replace a lightbulb without paying chrysler to do it for a few hundred pounds.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
when I first went to look at a "C" at Cumbo's in Stoke,I went in in my overalls,he asked me if he could help to which i replied that I was interested in the Hemi,he laughed at me and asked me how I was gonna pay for it,so I told him,he laughed again

I think the dealers up in Aberdeen have caughten onto the fact that most guys with some expendable cash up here tend to have oil related jobs and own a set of overalls. I enjoy walking into dealers looking like a 'minker' and seeing how you are treated. Belmont treated me no different no matter how I was dressed, BMW and Merc (a couple of years ago) almost ushered me out the door! Earlier this year BMW didnt seem to care what you wear as long as you are spending money there.

The Merc dealer told me I couldn't have a test drive because I didn't have my passport with me! BMW said Hi, can I help, I said I wanna test drive that 3litre Z4 please, he handed me the keys and said come back and see me when your done sir, there is petrol in the car. Didn't even ask my name.

Chrysler Belmont were just as friendly and offered a 24hr test drive. Mark did slightly bug my missus though when we looked at the crossfire and he said Z4's were common, lol!

Now I'm gonna tell you a true story, a guy I know walks into a Merc dealer with his orange overalls on and said I want to buy one of those. He pointed at a nice new e class. Now this guy works off shore pretty much all of the year every year and also pays no tax. Dealer asked how he would like to pay so the guy said cash. Dealer laughed and said yeah OK. So the guy says get the paperwork and keys ready I'll be back this afternoon. Dealer looked at him funny and said whatever.

So later that afternoon the guy returns to the dealer feeling very smug with himself after being to the bank and taking the whole lot out in cash and popping into the local supermarket to ask for a poly bag. He took the large notes out the brown envelope and stuffed them into the bag and rolled it up ready to hand over to the dealer.

As soon as he handed over the bag full of money the sales guy went into his office and came back out to chat with the guy. 15-20mins later the police turned up and arrested the guy!!

Of course he was let off and told it was a silly thing to do, but he went and bought a car else where.

I have to say I was wetting myself as he was telling me the story.

If the dealer hadn't been so smart he would have used his card to pay for it there and then, but because he had overalls on and looked a bit scruffy they assumed he had no money.

I had a conversation with the sales manager at BMW last month regarding this subject and he said you could never tell these days up here with all the oil money going about. He also told me about someone who came in looking like a scruff and ended up buying 3 new cars (including a £70K 7 series) and paying using his card!

I'll be happy when the days come I can buy 1 new car out right, if that day ever comes!

Anyway, sorry for rambling on :pat:

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
3,736 Posts
As soon as he handed over the bag full of money the sales guy went into his office and came back out to chat with the guy. 15-20mins later the police turned up and arrested the guy!!
Under current money-laundering laws, cash transactions of this size are illegal. The buyer and the dealer would both be committing an offence. I can't remember the threshold, but I'm sure its a lot less than the price of a new Merc.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Thats news to me! As far as I was aware there is no legally set limit. Only each firm/company/bank etc has their own set limit.

I always thought there was no limit and it was up to the company to exercise due diligence. Mind you I'm no solicitor and most of this stuff goes over my head.

Whats the difference between someone paying £70K in cash notes or £70K on their switch card?!

·
Premium Member
6,753 Posts
There are limits that a company can accept in cash. I had the same problem when buying a new car a few years ago.

If you use a card the money is coming out of a bank account, cash could come from anywhere (ie Stolen )

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Yeah but for anti money laundering puropses the money could have been deposited as several smaller cash amounts into the bank then used to make a card payment.

The limits a company can accept are set by that company (thats how I thought it was). I agree that there should be a legal limit, but just say you are 'minted' and want to take all your money out in cash, why should the law stop you?! It's your money!.. Hi, I'd like to withdraw £300,000,000.00 in £20's please. Hahahaha!

·
Premium Member
6,753 Posts
Yes i think it is the company's that set the limit. There's nothing to stop you drawing all your dosh out in cash, you just can't spend it as easily. lol

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Yes i think it is the company's that set the limit. There's nothing to stop you drawing all your dosh out in cash, you just can't spend it as easily. lol
Trust me, I'd have no problem spending all my money as cash...

could probably spend it all at the ice cream van! LOL

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
There was a film staring Gregory Peck (1953) based on a book by Mark Twain entitled "The Million Pound Note" - the point at issue is that with such a high denomination note no one will ever ask you for payment and your credit rating remains untouchably high - rather a good comedy if I recall correctly. To the present though - I was cashing in various investments a few years ago and I had to complete paperwork as the sums were over (I think) £8K which is not really a lot of money. Years ago the only way you could buy a car was in hard cash, then it changed to banker's draft and with either of these methods obviously pre-arrangements had to be made i.e you had to notify the bank of withdrawal or visit them to request a draft. Then all of a sudden life became sensible when the dealerships wanted payment by Debit Card. And if you go back to the last Credit Squeeze you had to have something like a 2/3rds deposit to enable you to obtain Hire Purchase and the time limit for repayments was strictly limited. Life sure has changed.
Cheers John

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
3,736 Posts
Not that many years ago, you could go into a bank or building society and open an account with a large amount of cash and with very little formality. Not anymore.

There's lots of info on money-laundering on Wikipedia. Apparently, there is no lower limit for cash transactions; the criteria is only based on suspicion and could involve a single £5 note transaction.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
damn.what am I gonna do with all this cash I got if I cant bank it,I'll just have to spend it.lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts