Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I start the 2005 300 the check engine lite and another light comes on after about 5 minutes of running. The temp gauge is not registering anything at this time and won't until I reset (restatr the engine). After restatr the guage works OK. The second warning lite looks like two vertical bars with a lightning bolt between them. If the car has warmed up and turned off and warning lights do not come on and the temp gauge works OK.
Any help?

·
Premium Member
6,769 Posts
Any codes???

·
Premium Member
6,769 Posts
Key dance. It's easy...

Turn to your key to ACC, then quickly turn to ON then back to ACC, ON then back to ACC, then ON - and leave it on. The car will give you a trouble code on your cluster. If no codes, you will see "-----" and it will say "done".

·
Premium Member
6,769 Posts

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
I'd say just by the little information provided and even without knowing what the code is it's a thermostat problem. Your car has to reach a certain temp within a specific period of time. You probably noticed that 3 good starts and the light goes away.

How many miles on your car? I see it's an 05 as per your profile and you're getting close to needing your coolant flushed and filled anyway. Lots of threads on faulty thermostats here BTW.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
6,769 Posts
I think you are dead on it Bernie - as seen in the thread I linked above, when you previously helped out another member with the exact same problem. Kudos to you. :fing02:

And by the way, JohnnyT - welcome to the forums! Post an introduction in the new members section when you can. And let us know about your progress through your issue here. Assuming you have a 3.5, I don't know if they run as hot as the 5.7, but you may want to look into a lower tstat if you end up replacing yours. Cheapest performance mod available, especially when coupled with changing your fan settings. But let's see what your problem is first... :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for the advice. I'll get a new thermostat, antifreeze, etc tommorrow and replace all.
Knew that it was something with the cooling system but not what. Lickly I have access to a lift which sholld make things easier.
Thank again and will let you guys know what happens.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
another one

After I start the 2005 300 the check engine lite and another light comes on after about 5 minutes of running. The temp gauge is not registering anything at this time and won't until I reset (restatr the engine). After restatr the guage works OK. The second warning lite looks like two vertical bars with a lightning bolt between them. If the car has warmed up and turned off and warning lights do not come on and the temp gauge works OK.
Any help?
That warning lamp refers to your throttle control. Too cool code is P0128.

You may have more than just one problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE: Mucho Thanks to all and for your replys. Started to do the thermostate change and got as far as draining the anti-freeze and had to stop. Refilled the anti-freeze with new stuff and returned car to my wife. After at least 500 miles all trouble lights are still out and the temperature gauge works normally and the car temp is right in the middle. I guess changing just the anti-freeze solved the problem. I'll keep a close eye on the situation and if anything changes I'll let you know.

·
Premium Member
6,769 Posts
That's kinda weird. I'm glad everything is working again, but I think you're right about keeping an eye on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I am having kinda the same problem as the other guy. I have a 2005 Chrysler 300c 5.7l. I have changed the engine coolant sensor and the thermostat. The engine is reading 0 degrees on the gauge and on the digital gauge it is reading the outside degree. Do you know anything else I can check.

·
Registered
2014 CRD
1,609 Posts
Have you done the keydance?
i. Try that and let us know what codes you're getting
ii. Did you bleed the system after replacing the sensor and stat?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts