Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have seen my other recent thread, you will know that I've been suffering few brake elated issues.

Things have now taken a turn for the worse as the car decided to go into limp mode. It seems the P0700 code I pulled and cleared yesterday wasn't historic after all. It's back.

I need to recover the car back to the UK but I need to get it taken to somebody who can fix it. The first person that comes to mind is Ray, so if anybody, or Ray himself, can give me his contact details, I'd be very grateful.

TIA

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks to Tim and Devilmaycare.

As it happens the rush is over. The car has been towed away, arse first, behind a bright yellow Land Rover. If they can't fix it, it could take a month to get it transported back to Blighty... so no hurry!

Looks like I am going to be spending an extra few days in Stinkydrainzhausen.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
PM sent.......a bit late I know but I was pre-occupied over the weekend,hope it all goes well

·
Registered
655 Posts
Thanks to Tim and Devilmaycare.

As it happens the rush is over. The car has been towed away, arse first, behind a bright yellow Land Rover. If they can't fix it, it could take a month to get it transported back to Blighty... so no hurry!

Looks like I am going to be spending an extra few days in Stinkydrainzhausen.

Thanks again.
Hmmm, sounds painful ::frown:: I have to say I never set foot outside the UK in the motor without RAC cover.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm, sounds painful ::frown:: I have to say I never set foot outside the UK in the motor without RAC cover.
I've got RAC cover, so it's not as bad as it could be. If I have to leave the 300 behind, they will provide a hire car to get back to the Channel and another from the Channel to home.

Nothing happens quickly though.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Is it not good for the engine to be driven in limp mode? When I had that problem it would still get up to 60 plus, just slow acceleration. Did you not try the resistor mods?

Not been on the forum for quite a while tbh. But I was in Germany last week!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it not good for the engine to be driven in limp mode? When I had that problem it would still get up to 60 plus, just slow acceleration. Did you not try the resistor mods?

Not been on the forum for quite a while tbh. But I was in Germany last week!
The engine wasn't in limp mode, the gearbox was!

The cause was a failed near side rear wheel speed sensor.

·
Registered
687 Posts
When the same speed sensor went on ours the car didn't go into limp mode. The gearbox was reluctant to change from 1st to 2nd and the sat nav was all over the place. Also illuminated ABS, ETC & BAS lights.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When the same speed sensor went on ours the car didn't go into limp mode. The gearbox was reluctant to change from 1st to 2nd and the sat nav was all over the place. Also illuminated ABS, ETC & BAS lights.
The sat nav kept working and so did the speedo which surprised me. I often have wondered if it is linked to the sat nav.

·
Registered
687 Posts
The code reader reported something like "Implausible speed input left rear wheel". The live data showed 0kph for that wheel while the other 3 were showing 30kph or whatever. I suggest thar the software for the speedo will ignore the zero input and give a speed indication from one or all of the others if it works from the speed sensor input. Why the sat nav went AWOL I have no idea. It was nearly there, just a few meters off position and the heading was wrong. As soon as the tone ring and sensor were replaced it behaved again so it must be connected somehow.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
^^^^^^^^
I'm sure its related to Traction and Stability Control.

The body control module looks at the position of the Steering Wheel i.e. (The direction the driver wants the car to go) and the strain gauge sensors (The direction the car is going) , and each wheels rotation so that the system can correct if the car is deemed out of control and in need of automatic correction.

So I assume if one wheels speed sensor isn't working, the system isn't sure exactly which direction the car is going and whether its under control.

Which I assume confuses the Sat Nav direction, and influences the Sat Navs position at times. But the position should correct itself after a short time when it gets the cars true position from the satellites.

I don't know that the above is true but it could be an explanation ?

Jack

Jack

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
If satellite coverage is poor (eg in an urban canyon), then the nav system will continue to operate in a dead-reckoning mode using the car's integral gyro compass and odometer. I discovered this when seeking an explanation for the satnav's continuous operation driving through the Mersey Tunnel. I wouldn't have noticed this if it hadn't been for Mrs dmc asking why the satnav screen had gone blue. Presumably this dead-reckoning mode won't work properly if a wheel sensor is defective.

·
Registered
4 Posts
any idea if this is the cause of my problems?
I have a 300c (2007), I parked the car up for several months and the battery drained. I jump started it and it was fine except I now had three orange lights on, ABS, ESP/BAS and traction control.. I drove it for a few months like this till eventually giving it to a friend of my daughters garage to fix. Needless to say it sat in their yard for almost a year with nothing done to it. I finally got tired of chasing them and went and retrieved it myself. Lo & behold, not only do I still have all the lights on, it drove home in low gear pretty much the whole 7 miles home only changing up a gear very reluctantly when I was nearly home and wouldn't go above 30-35 mph. the engine revs fine and sounds really sweet, it seems to be the transmission thats in lockdown mode.
The mechanic told me it had a error code u140e which he couldn't clear and that it would have to go to the dealers to have the ABS/ECU "reflashed" wit a "Starscan" device..

I'm now desperately seeking help and/or guidance

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi

Sounds same issue I had. Search for my posting. Your car is stuck in limp mode to protect the engine.
As you will see from my post, it turned out to be a blown relay. No problems ever since.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
any idea if this is the cause of my problems?
I have a 300c (2007), I parked the car up for several months and the battery drained. I jump started it and it was fine except I now had three orange lights on, ABS, ESP/BAS and traction control.. I drove it for a few months like this till eventually giving it to a friend of my daughters garage to fix. Needless to say it sat in their yard for almost a year with nothing done to it. I finally got tired of chasing them and went and retrieved it myself. Lo & behold, not only do I still have all the lights on, it drove home in low gear pretty much the whole 7 miles home only changing up a gear very reluctantly when I was nearly home and wouldn't go above 30-35 mph. the engine revs fine and sounds really sweet, it seems to be the transmission thats in lockdown mode.
The mechanic told me it had a error code u140e which he couldn't clear and that it would have to go to the dealers to have the ABS/ECU "reflashed" wit a "Starscan" device..

I'm now desperately seeking help and/or guidance
Try this:
ELECTRONIC STABILITY PROGRAM (ESP)
If the vehicle is equipped with ESP, once the battery is reconnected, the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) needs to be calibrated. The SAS requires calibration anytime the battery or an ABS (ESP) component has been disconnected for any length of time. If the SAS is not calibrated following battery reconnection, the ESP/BAS indicator lamp is illuminated following 5 ignition cycles indicating the need for calibration.
To calibrate, perform the following:
1. Start the engine.
2. Center the steering wheel.
3. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left until the internal stop in the steering gear is met, then turn the wheel all the way to the right until the opposite internal stop in the steering gear is met.
4. Center the steering wheel.
5. Stop the engine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi

Sounds same issue I had. Search for my posting. Your car is stuck in limp mode to protect the engine.
As you will see from my post, it turned out to be a blown relay. No problems ever since.

Hope this helps.
Hi feichter I’ve just got the exact same issues, what relay did you have to replace please? Any help would be great cheers

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi feichter I’ve just got the exact same issues, what relay did you have to replace please? Any help would be great cheers
I don't know which relay it was. The dealer mechanic said it was in the boot. Checked the invoice and the relay is part number C00K05269988AA. Price £20.28 + vat. Plus £100 for diagnotics.

Hope this helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts