Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I towed my caravan 2 hrs today to see today's stage of the Tour of Spain bike race, with the plan to see a number of the coming stages too.

I parked beside a fairly busy road and got my bike out to ride a few kms to the race. On my return, when trying to move for the night to a quieter place I'd seen, the auto shift knob wouldn't move out of Park. Slight panic ensued, with visions of tow trucks, wrecked plans and new gearboxes.

A quick read of the manual informed me of the pink thing. When I press it, the end nearer the rear moves sideways as if it's on a hinge. But it doesn't release the shifter. Pressing the brake allows the shifter to move slightly to the right, but it won't move backwards.

I've searched the forum and, as often happens, I've read too much information too quickly, but I understand the pink plastic part is prone to failure. So just asking for some advice on the best course of action, as I've scanned over several fixes involving hacksaws, new plastic part, new aluminium part, and possibly others.

What I really need is some verification of the probable cause, a fix I can do where I am, without needing to source & wait for parts. I do have a fairly well-stocked toolbox with me. No warning lights are showing and there were no funny noises prior to parking the car.

Meanwhile I'll watch a video link I noticed and see if that sheds any further light.

Thanks in advance, Ed.

·
Premium Member
4,956 Posts
Replaced mine a while back with the metal ones, not that it broke. Customshop have them.

·
Registered
553 Posts
It's been a while since I did mine, but if you can remove the center console (assuming you have the correct tools with you), I believe you can manually push in the part to allow you to shift. Leave the console off until you fix the part as you will need to do this each time you need to shift out of park. I think I drove around for a couple days with the console removed while waiting for the part to arrive.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Great thanks folks, I think I'm on the right track now, so up early tomorrow and see if I can get this show on the road again. If not, there's a water source nearby, the TV and 'net signals are crystal clear and so I could just make myself comfortable here, watch the rest of the race on the telly and even get some work done :)

I found this a useful link for a stuck-in-park victim to grasp the nature of the problem:

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php/73876-shifter-problems-and-fix

And a link to a helpful video on doing the long-term fix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uAmY_M7TTk

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Did you manage to get moving again and did you try this "screwdriver" tip?: http://www.300cforums.com/forums/problems-dealer-service/73505-help-my-car-wont-move-out-park.html#post850174
Looks like I'm going to have to get one of those replacement metal "pinky things" to be prepared for the worst. I'll keep it in the bag with the swirl motor emulator. I wonder how many UK owners have had the "pinky thing" fail?

I'm looking forward to the Tour of Britain race which will be down my way next week.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
A quick read of the manual informed me of the pink thing. When I press it, the end nearer the rear moves sideways as if it's on a hinge. But it doesn't release the shifter. Pressing the brake allows the shifter to move slightly to the right, but it won't move backwards.
This is a different "pink thing". It's purpose is to allow you to overcome an electrical problem preventing shifting, but doesn't help with a mechanical failure of the other "pink thing".

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
It's definitely fixable. I replaced mine with the Billet Specialties part, and been rolling ever since. As the failure happened to me when I was stuck in the parking lot at work, I reviewed the instructions here, and with I believe just my Swiss Army knife, mickey-moused it to where I could drive it home and do the replacement.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I was on the move again very quickly this morning by using the screwdriver method. What would we do without forums like this? (Answer: pay huge ransoms to men in workshops with spanners while having our lives completely disrupted).

Still trying to train myself to turn off while in neutral, the habit to shove it in park is a strong one. Once I have some free time I'll strip the console (or "council" as Chip Foose spelt it on Overhaulin' recently :) ) and do the free repair.

All 300c auto drivers need to keep a suitable implement in the car in case of "pink thingy 2" failure, and read up on the procedure before it happens. I was lucky to be in an OK spot with a chance to read up on it and not at a motorway toll booth, for example.

Ok I've had the swirl failure, now this. What's the next one on the list?

Reactions: devilmaycare

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just fixed mine this week. Took apart the center console so that I can have access to the pinky thing with a screwdriver to get off park. left the car in neutral with parking brake on to get me moving until part arrived a week later. replaced it with a metal product and watched the youtube videos to step by step guide me. Up and running, even managed to fix my cigarette lighter since I had that whole area taken apart.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts