Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was informed on the "other" forum to email this individual:

Daniel Bodene @ [email protected]. The email had a reply with an out of office message through 2/21/06. Here was my email:

To Whom it may concern,

I am very familiar with high performance sedans having owned a 2004 and 2005 CTS-V. On February 2nd, I purchased a 2006 300C SRT-8. I followed the break-in procedures religiously and in fact waited until 1,000 miles and one oil change before I decided to try a full throttle launch. As my SRT accelerated through first gear it stumbled shifting into second, almost as if the brakes were applied. I tried two more subsequent launches with the same result. I also tried manually shifting the vehicle as well as disabling ESP, etc. each time the vehicle fell flat on it's face at the 1-2 shift.

Is this torque management or an algorithm written into the software to save wear and tear on the rear differential or transmission? Will this problem abate after "X-miles"? With my SRT "stop-shifting" it's nearly impossible to drive smoothly and quickly or come anywhere close to the performance I was promised. I understand that there is a TSB #18-031-05 which affected the '05 SRT's. Mine was built in December '05 and not covered under the TSB. What do you advise I do as I doubt my dealer will be able to solve this without help from an engineer from Daimler Chrysler?

I hope they can resolve this as I have no desire to fight with another car company that does not serve it's customers and resolve their concerns.

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is one of the reasons I've ordered the Superchips programmer. It will allow me to raise the rev limiter and, hopefully, get rid that annoying 1st to 2nd gear hesitation (although it is more like a studder).

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
cvp33 said:
I was informed on the "other" forum to email this individual:

Daniel Bodene @ [email protected]. The email had a reply with an out of office message through 2/21/06. Here was my email:

To Whom it may concern,

I am very familiar with high performance sedans having owned a 2004 and 2005 CTS-V. On February 2nd, I purchased a 2006 300C SRT-8. I followed the break-in procedures religiously and in fact waited until 1,000 miles and one oil change before I decided to try a full throttle launch. As my SRT accelerated through first gear it stumbled shifting into second, almost as if the brakes were applied. I tried two more subsequent launches with the same result. I also tried manually shifting the vehicle as well as disabling ESP, etc. each time the vehicle fell flat on it's face at the 1-2 shift.

Is this torque management or an algorithm written into the software to save wear and tear on the rear differential or transmission? Will this problem abate after "X-miles"? With my SRT "stop-shifting" it's nearly impossible to drive smoothly and quickly or come anywhere close to the performance I was promised. I understand that there is a TSB #18-031-05 which affected the '05 SRT's. Mine was built in December '05 and not covered under the TSB. What do you advise I do as I doubt my dealer will be able to solve this without help from an engineer from Daimler Chrysler?

I hope they can resolve this as I have no desire to fight with another car company that does not serve it's customers and resolve their concerns.
I have read about the 1-2 stutter in several different threads, and I also have witnessed many times on my own. I have even seen where vendors have posted this problem wanting to have DCX rectify. So today, I did a little examination. I did several runs with ESP on and off. During my runs I noticed that the point of when you shift (your hand actually doing the manual bump to right) is way before your transmission actually shifts. Therefore, your car still goes beyond its limit. These cars, once up in the 4000 rpm range, add to the rpm’s very quickly. If one would shift, say at 6,000 rpm, by the time the computer actually notifies the transmission to shift, it’s too late – you have hit the rev limiter hence stutter. Every single time, whether in ESP on or not, when I shifted at about 5300 rpm, the car actually made the physical shift at about 6150…just right – and no hesitation or limiter incurred. Now that is on the top end. I also did some runs at WOT but shifting at about 2800 rpm and got a hesitation. This feels more like a transmission protector due to the torque that is about to invade it (transmission).

Key here, for me, is to make sure you physically shift the car well before the redline, or just when the needle passes the 5000 rpm mark.

The reason I am digging this one out is because every thread that I found about it never seemed to conquer the problem. I even noticed it was asked of the SRT8 engineering team just last week and they didn’t know anything about it (or to put it politically correct, they are not aware of that problem)

In saying all above, I’m looking for some feedback and others to try out some things like I did. CVP33, I noticed that you have had several performance cars and would like your feedback after you try what I did.

Anyone else??

Moose.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Moose said:
I have read about the 1-2 stutter in several different threads, and I also have witnessed many times on my own. I have even seen where vendors have posted this problem wanting to have DCX rectify. So today, I did a little examination. I did several runs with ESP on and off. During my runs I noticed that the point of when you shift (your hand actually doing the manual bump to right) is way before your transmission actually shifts. Therefore, your car still goes beyond its limit. These cars, once up in the 4000 rpm range, add to the rpm’s very quickly. If one would shift, say at 6,000 rpm, by the time the computer actually notifies the transmission to shift, it’s too late – you have hit the rev limiter hence stutter. Every single time, whether in ESP on or not, when I shifted at about 5300 rpm, the car actually made the physical shift at about 6150…just right – and no hesitation or limiter incurred. Now that is on the top end. I also did some runs at WOT but shifting at about 2800 rpm and got a hesitation. This feels more like a transmission protector due to the torque that is about to invade it (transmission).

Key here, for me, is to make sure you physically shift the car well before the redline, or just when the needle passes the 5000 rpm mark.

The reason I am digging this one out is because every thread that I found about it never seemed to conquer the problem. I even noticed it was asked of the SRT8 engineering team just last week and they didn’t know anything about it (or to put it politically correct, they are not aware of that problem)

In saying all above, I’m looking for some feedback and others to try out some things like I did. CVP33, I noticed that you have had several performance cars and would like your feedback after you try what I did.

Anyone else??

Moose.
Hello out there! Any feedback on this one? :feedback:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moose said:
Hello out there! Any feedback on this one? :feedback:

Moose,

I tried manually shifting as you suggested with ESP off and shifting at 5,300 and it does feel better. There's still a lag but not nearly as pronounced. Letting the car shift itself I find it still studders. Turning off traction controls helps a little as does turning ESP totally off, but it's still there. Just enough to piss you off. Like you're driving it 90% vs. 100%.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
cvp33 said:
Moose,

I tried manually shifting as you suggested with ESP off and shifting at 5,300 and it does feel better. There's still a lag but not nearly as pronounced. Letting the car shift itself I find it still studders. Turning off traction controls helps a little as does turning ESP totally off, but it's still there. Just enough to piss you off. Like you're driving it 90% vs. 100%.
Thanks for responding.

I'm trying to get some answers because, like you state, 90% vs. 100%. That is the difference of losing a very important race:dead1: That actually happened to me vs. a V. I had it and was pulling until the automatic turned into a manual going into second. Luckily I was able to get another run and paid attention.

There is still a problem, especially like you said about leaving in drive. So there is that potential.

Did you ever hear back from the guy you wrote?

Anyone else? This was so important on old threads, and I know you haven't solved the problem...don't tell me everyone gave up on this.

Moose.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Moose said:
Thanks for responding.

I'm trying to get some answers because, like you state, 90% vs. 100%. That is the difference of losing a very important race:dead1: That actually happened to me vs. a V. I had it and was pulling until the automatic turned into a manual going into second. Luckily I was able to get another run and paid attention.

There is still a problem, especially like you said about leaving in drive. So there is that potential.

Anyone else? This was so important on old threads, and I know you haven't solved the problem...don't tell me everyone gave up on this.

Moose.
we have...
you only need to worry about this though vs.
AMG's...
Ferrari's (some, not all)...
Porsche Carrera GT's
and Lambo's - (all types)...
other than that...
we are already so far ahead...
it really doesn't matter...
and we smile when the "system" let's us down and makes the margin a little closer and tighter for the losers...

honestly...
I don't think most know they still have it...
JMO

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
cbutler32 said:
we have...
AMG's...
Porsche Carrera GT's

Well, there are a lot of those around here:32:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Moose said:
cbutler32 said:
we have...
AMG's...
Porsche Carrera GT's

I would highly recommend the GSM Tq Mod. I have it on my ride and the hesitation is truly non-existent!! My bigger fear longterm is the wear and tear on the tranny as it truly does get rid of the Tq man'g'ment and
shift lag. Call GSM - it's worth the $200 for the added performance:naughty:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Moose said:
cbutler32 said:
we have...
AMG's...
Porsche Carrera GT's

I know...
that's why I said it...
I live in the same area...
rancho santa fe...
fairbanks ranch...
thank goodness there are a couple of guys that drivethem like they should be driven...
most are for looks (most expensive car they make) and in over the head...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Moose said:

Anyone else??

Moose.
I havn't forgotten about it. In fact, I officially notified my dealer yesterday, as I was getting my brake pad TSB done, that the TSB for the shift hesitation has been done on my car and it didn't fix it. He wrote it up and it's logged. In addition, the engineers in Open Discussion this month said they will address the issue in next month's Open Discussion. So, it is getting visibility, finally.

·
Registered
625 Posts
No Hesitation

GSM Torque Mod = NO Hesitation, none, nada, zip, zero, zilch.

Moose, Let's meet up. I live down the street.

Anyone in AZ PM me if you want to see for yourself.

All are welcome to see it at the 3/25 M&G.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
DanRealtor said:
GSM Torque Mod = NO Hesitation, none, nada, zip, zero, zilch.

Moose, Let's meet up. I live down the street.

Anyone in AZ PM me if you want to see for yourself.

All are welcome to see it at the 3/25 M&G.
After reading your posts (and Meisters) on the TM, I will be ordering it this weekend.

Yes, we'll have to get together and discuss 'stuff.' I was checking out your 'toy photo' area! You've seem to hit the mark on all the right choices on your toys:01: Now I wish I would have kept my dirt bike.

Talk to you soon,

Moose.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Moose said:
Thanks for responding.

Moose.
Alright, I'll bite. The result of the second race vs. the CTS-V? I already stated here and on the Caddy forum that the 300 will beat the V 0-60, 0-100, 0-whatever you feel like going up to. I don't care how good a driver you THINK you are you can't launch the Caddy consistently. I've driven 50,000 miles in 2 V's and can't count my perfect launches on two hands. It's that damned difficult. Launching the 300 is like pie. Big juicy, meaty, in your face pie!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Dirt Bikes

Moose said:
After reading your posts (and Meisters) on the TM, I will be ordering it this weekend.

Yes, we'll have to get together and discuss 'stuff.' I was checking out your 'toy photo' area! You've seem to hit the mark on all the right choices on your toys:01: Now I wish I would have kept my dirt bike.

Talk to you soon,

Moose.
That's one reason I have 2 dirt bikes. I typically ride the 500 and my guests ride the 250. I ride right down the driveway, out the back gate, hit the trail on the south side of Dixileta, cross Pima onto state trust land. Nirvana! Thousands of acres to ride and ride and ride. Sunday?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts