Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so the other day I ordered mufflers for my car and I was wondering do I need tips for them?
:banghead: I know I feel your pain but im not a car person trying to become one

·
Administrator
19,620 Posts
Mufflers go under the car just downstream from your catalytic converters, pretty close to under the front seat..

New resonators at the end of the tailpipe right under the rear bumper need tips.

So...No for tips on mufflers as they are in the middle of the exhaust system.

Yes for tips on resonators as they are at the end of the exhaust system.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Reactions: Sim-Simma

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a pic from another post that shows what MD is talking about:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Stitches040/IMAG1760_zps44aec10b.jpg

The long round cans are the mufflers. The shorter ones in the back are the resonators.
Mufflers go under the car just downstream from your catalytic converters, pretty close to under the front seat..

New resonators at the end of the tailpipe right under the rear bumper need tips.

So...No for tips on mufflers as they are in the middle of the exhaust system.

Yes for tips on resonators as they are at the end of the exhaust system.
OK so tips for the resonators. thanks guys im still trying to learn. does a new muffler give me that powerfull noise im trying toget or do I have toget new resonators for the noise? or should I just upgrade both because its better for the system. last thing are those fctory mufflers on your car or aftermarket? ive yet to get under my car yet so I have no idea what mine look like

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
On a stock system the muffler is called a "suitcase" because it looks like one: a large tank with two pipes going in the front and out the back.

The picture in that link in not stock. It appears that the "suitcase" has already been deleted in favor of two mufflers, and the leftside exhaust pipe and resonator apparently have not yet been installed.

Reactions: Sim-Simma

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On a stock system the muffler is called a "suitcase" because it looks like one: a large tank with two pipes going in the front and out the back.

The picture in that link in not stock. It appears that the "suitcase" has already been deleted in favor of two mufflers, and the leftside exhaust pipe and resonator apparently have not yet been installed.
So since there are two pipes coming in and out i have to get all new pipes or what? i was told my another member on here to just get new mufflers because the stock exhaust system isnt that bad juts the mufflers "suitcase" so he informed me just get new mufflers Dynomax Performance Exhaust | Mufflers | Super Turbo Mufflers that is what i got will that work or will i have to buy stuff to convert it into the stock system?

·
Registered
508 Posts

The pic in that link is the partially installed Corsa system. I just linked to it to show him the difference between mufflers and resonators.

·
Administrator
19,620 Posts
Your current muffler is a dual in/dual out single case muffler. If you swap over to two (2) individual mufflers to replace your single case muffler, then you don't need anymore piping installed.

What I would do is select two mufflers based on how they sound to you (lots of clips here and out on the interwebs of different exhausts), then replace that single case muffler with the two new mufflers and leave your stock resonators and tail pipes alone.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your current muffler is a dual in/dual out single case muffler. If you swap over to two (2) individual mufflers to replace your single case muffler, then you don't need anymore piping installed.

What I would do is select two mufflers based on how they sound to you (lots of clips here and out on the interwebs of different exhausts), then replace that single case muffler with the two new mufflers and leave your stock resonators and tail pipes alone.
Did you see the link I posted above to what kind of mufflers I bought? if you can look at those and tell me if those are what your talking about or not please.

·
Administrator
19,620 Posts
I did look at the link but you didn't list which muffler part number you purchased so I can't tell for sure. Do you have the part number?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did look at the link but you didn't list which muffler part number you purchased so I can't tell for sure. Do you have the part number?
yeah it is the first one 17762

1 - 11 of 11 Posts