Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
werid....i was on my way home today doing about 75 and i gave it a little gas to pass and the motor started to stutter...i went to give it a lill more gas and it was stuttering even worse...then i see the engine light come on...now iam starting to get worried.this went on for like a few miles or so..then it suddenly just went back to normal and the engine light went off....so now iam thinking to my self what the hell was that:thinking: ... i did just fill my tank up yesterday at a gas station that i dont normally go to....maybe a lill water in the gas??....then i go into the computer and it says...last vta=2.....does that mean i have to codes that something has gone wrong?....man i hope it is just bad gas ...any thoughts??

·
Registered
231 Posts
Turn your key 3 times from acc to on (dont start engine) or maybe off to acc i forgot exactly which one,then you will see it displaying a code, if there is any on EVIC

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i figured i would take my car out to dinner to see if it still hesatating...and it started doing it again...i was at a half of a tank of gas so i figured i would stop and put some fresh gas from my reg station...man i hope its just the gas...it was worse this time i was at 45mph and it started...almost felt like it was missfireing...and the engine light was on again..the car just wouldnt respond it just kept stuttering..then just as suddenly as it started it stopped...??

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
I would take it in ASAP; you should have a trouble code stored and it's under warranty after all. It may be as simple as bad gas but it also may be something else like a faulty injector, which could lean out a cylinder and cause major damage. I'd also put some "Iso-Heet" or Napa "Thermo-Aid" in the gas, these are isopropyl based gas driers that will absorb moisture in the fuel. Do NOT use the reguar "Heet" in the yellow bottle, it displaces moisture rather than absorbs it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you are going to the dealer on Monday I wouldnt put anything in the gas or atleast i wont tell them. The last thing you want them to come out and say it was the thermo Aid that screwed your engine.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
**bump**.......you can be sure iam going to the shop on mon....

has any one else felt something like what i am describing....damit man...i hope its not something serious....

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
SRT8C said:
The last thing you want them to come out and say it was the thermo Aid that screwed your engine.
There is absolutely no way Thermo Aid can hurt, it merely absorbs moisture IF that's the problem. I work at a NAPA store and we sell "Thermo Aid" to several Car dealerships.

·
Registered
231 Posts
kevenj said:
There is absolutely no way Thermo Aid can hurt, it merely absorbs moisture IF that's the problem. I work at a NAPA store and we sell "Thermo Aid" to several Car dealerships.

I know that there is no way for the Thermo Aid to mess up the engine. My point was that we all know how Chrysler uses the lamest excuse to not fix a car under warranty.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in it today....and i hit the hwy and opened her up...drove around town in stick all day and i drove it hard...my thoughts to this is that if there is something in the fuel injectors..more power ='s more spray from the injectors more spray ='s cleaner injectors.....well i think it worked she seems to be running GREAT....but ill see tonight when i go out if it still is ok...

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
4herb2tas0tik said:
well i put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in it today....and i hit the hwy and opened her up...drove around town in stick all day and i drove it hard...my thoughts to this is that if there is something in the fuel injectors..more power ='s more spray from the injectors more spray ='s cleaner injectors.....well i think it worked she seems to be running GREAT....but ill see tonight when i go out if it still is ok...

You may have very well fixed it; however I would still go in and have them check it out, if for no other reason than if you later have a problem, at least this will be documented. My sister had a 1998 Durango that displayed almost the same symptom that you describe, and the check engine light came on and then went off.... it seemed to start running fine again and she kept driving (she was 150 miles from home). 2 weeks later it started running rough ALL the time, took it to a trusted independent shop and he found one dead cylinder - - he pulled the head and found a hole burnt in one piston and it was a blue color in there (extreme heat) caused by a faulty injector that caused that cylinder to run extremely lean. She had 38,000 miles on it...out of warranty and out of luck. At least it was a 318, relatively inexpensive to rebuild compared to more modern engines I'm sure.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kevenj said:
You may have very well fixed it; however I would still go in and have them check it out, if for no other reason than if you later have a problem, at least this will be documented. My sister had a 1998 Durango that displayed almost the same symptom that you describe, and the check engine light came on and then went off.... it seemed to start running fine again and she kept driving (she was 150 miles from home). 2 weeks later it started running rough ALL the time, took it to a trusted independent shop and he found one dead cylinder - - he pulled the head and found a hole burnt in one piston and it was a blue color in there (extreme heat) caused by a faulty injector that caused that cylinder to run extremely lean. She had 38,000 miles on it...out of warranty and out of luck. At least it was a 318, relatively inexpensive to rebuild compared to more modern engines I'm sure.
note well taken.....iam still going to have it checked out....thx for the time..herbs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts